Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I hate to beat a dead horse but I'm rather proud of myself. After seeing how clean the E looks with no badges I thought it would be a fun mod to start off with. The process took an evening and was a whole lot easier then I first thought. Here's how I did it:

The "Tools":
You'll want to grab your old ladies hair dryer, Goo Gone, clean (I bought some new ones just in case) soft rags, car wax and dental floss (try not to use the plastic stuff it breaks really easy).

What's really nice about the dental floss is it's pretty strong and since it's wax covered it doesn't scratch the paint (which was my biggest fear).

How I Did It:
Wash that tail gate! Make sure there's no dust or road grit.

Make sure you have plenty of light, we set up a halogen shop light, as it will make the job a lot easier. First thing is pick a badge (I started with the dealer badge which was actually harder to get off then the Honda ones) and light it up with the hair dryer. This is where having a buddy comes in handy, after you've heated up a corner of the badge you can have your buddy turn the heat down a little and continue to blast the rest of the badge.

After you've heated it up for about a minute the glue should be warm enough. Now, you can do this with out heating it up but it takes a LOT longer and I'd imagine you go through more dental floss. With a pair of shop gloves on I wound the floss around my fingers and started to cut in under the badge where I just heated it up. Make sure you don't pull towards you but in the direction your cutting in. I used a back and forth motion and had my buddy keep the heat on.

We decided to take all of the badges off first before moving on, it makes the clean up process easier.

After the Honda badges are off there will likely be a foam residue left stuck to the paint. Be careful here because this is where you'll be most likely to scratch your paint. Using the hair dryer heat up the foam and use your thumb (avoid using the nail, you probably won't scratch it if your careful but if you press too hard it could dig into the top coat) and the foam should just roll right off.

Once all the foam is cleared away bust out a clean rag and the Goo Gone. It really shouldn't take much to break up the adhesive. What's funny with Goo Gone is your not actually lifting the glue off the paint, your just breaking it up and smearing it around. Once all the adhesive chunks are broken up take a damp cloth and wipe it down to remove excess Goo Gone.

I should now have a hazy mess all over your tail gate and have a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach . . . at this point, wax that ass, er tail gate.

The wax should lift the rest of the adhesive and your done!

Here are come crappy pics of my tail gate, I'll post better ones later when I get home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Great post, good step by step. Pics look good to. Thanks for the post:) Drew:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about fishing line, it would have went faster but with the heat from the hair dryer dental floss did great. I think I was a little concerned about scratching the paint with fishing line but it looks like it worked out fine for you. Nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great job thale!!! And great post!!!

I just took mine off and the Honda emblem came off easy BUT the Element badge got destroyed and the glue took about an hour to take off.

But your right, nothing that a little time and wax can't take care of!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took my Element emblem off.

i took off the Element emblem on the rear door and the car lot sticker off finially, i used a blower dryer to get it off, there was however a lot of glue on the emeblem and it took some time, and some glue remover i got at a parts store to get it off. Were the Emblem is, you can barely see the letters, i mean if you know what your looking at, you can see it. so i am going to get my own custom sticker made tomorrow from a friend that owns a sign store and its going to be cool, ill try and get it on here, when its done. i have it on word, ill try and attach it with this...

peace

·
Registered
74 Posts
Taking stickers and emblems off rear glass

While I definitely don't recommend it for painted surfaces, I conveniently removed some very tacky glue remnants from a sticker with a power washer at the local drive-thru car wash.

It's been so cold here in northeast Ohio that the Eagle Scout emblem I had on the back window peeled off and I was left with gunk that would not easily come off with glue remover and I got tired of looking at it, so I took it to a dollar car wash and used the power washer, being very careful not to get the spray too close to the seals or paint. The stuff came off without a hitch.

Again...I would NOT recommend it for gunk on painted surfaces.

Slightly off topic, but knowing how many E owners put stuff on their rear window, I thought this might be helpful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
its all good

i got all the remainding stuff off with some stuff called COMPOUND, got it from a local body shop, it work its magic in like 2 seconds...looks sweet

·
Registered
94 Posts
How about using just a cheap bottle of Goo-Gone? safe on paintwork, just spray, let it set for a minute, usea little elbow grease and the tacky glue crap just wipes off

·
Registered
318 Posts
has anyone removed the H badge from the rear of the E?

I want to remove mine, but I'm not sure if there are holes under it

thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
143 Posts
The h on the rear doesn't have any holes behind it. So go for it.

Reactions: wannahonda

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here is mine with no "H" and no "Element".

·
Registered
212 Posts
im friends with the boys in the back of the honda dealership. so when i bought my NBP Element, i removed the emblems before i even drove her off the lot. we used waxes twine to shave the emblems off. heres how we did it:

get some strong twine and hold it like dentlefloss, slide it behind the letters

use a heatgun/hairdryer to soften the glue

use an air-ratchet with a runner eraser tip to spin the glue rite off

use an angle grinder with a buffing wheel and some good car wax and go over where the letters used to be until the "ghost letters" are no longer visible.

bqangzoom. clean rear!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just use WD-40 to remove the remaining glue. It works great. Little effort required. I used fishing line to help cut the H from the back. Just work it back and forth from top to bottom. Anytime I have some type of sticker to remove I use WD-40 to clean it up.

Reactions: wannahonda

·
Registered
15 Posts
Element emblem

New here, just purchased an 08 Element EX, and I want to remove all the badges. Anyone know if the element emblem comes off nice and easy? i.e, no holes in the back where the emblems use to be once the are removed.

Second question, anyone ever retro fit the Element SC spring pack to an EX or LX?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Rear H have holes?

I know on all my past hondas under the rear "H" is 2 holes, i've seen one other member with it removed and no holes BUT not sure if he had those filled.

Anyone shed some light? I searched for badge removal but every thread that popped up branched out to BS lol

Thanks in advance
-Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
my 2010 had no holes. only thing i can say is. with badges shaved or H atleast the rear keyhole stands out more

1 - 20 of 26 Posts