Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Heartbreak of America, did not get their bailout. 239,000 auto workersworkers, 974,000 workers at auto dealers 1 million workers of supplies companies....CEO Christmas Bonus $13 million dollars....Hummmm I see a problem...:mad:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The Heartbreak of America, did not get their bailout. 239,000 auto workersworkers, 974,000 workers at auto dealers 1 million workers of supplies companies....CEO Christmas Bonus $13 million dollars....Hummmm I see a problem...:mad:
They had said if they had bailed them out they would put a salary cap on the CEO's, and ground or limit thier corporate jets---That was the 1st thing I thought about when Ford said "Nevermind":p

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bush just said he will move on giving money.
He did that just before the markets opened. He knew that if he didn't there would have been real blood letting today.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
The whole bailout just bites in my opinion. Don't evicted homeowners deserve independent bailouts too! Why when they build horribly HUGE cars, and keep doing the same things that they have always done expecting different results do the US auto makers deserve this? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Someone tell the oil companies that keep bragging about record profits that they HAVE to give it back to those who were hurt the most in this trying time!

This poor country has a giant bleeding wound, and needs help.... and not the auto industry!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Why is it that we the taxpayers have to save all THREE or NONE??? Why cant we save just ford, or just ford and gm or whichever two are doing the best and make them merge? And get rid of all those cars that are mechanically the same but have different names? :rolleyes:
I know all those parts manufacturers and unions and health care companies and pension funds all are interconnected, but come on-- all three or nothing??? I grew up in the illinois rust belt when the farm implement companies were all either going under, merging, or moving overseas. the towns survived (barely) without any govt money and the strong company is still going and employing in the same community.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Good. I didn't directly support them by buying one of their POS vehicles they produce and now I'm glad my tax dollars won't either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I feel bad for all the people this is going to put in a really rotten bind (this does not include those with seven-figure bonuses). I can understand the "good money after bad" argument, especially after 30+ years of head-in-the-sand behavior by the companies. The less savory political motivations of some of the powers-that-be are about as slimy as usual. Just for history's sake, a small list for contemplation: Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Hupmobile, Nash, Auburn, Pierce Arrow, Locomobile (not to mention W.T Grant).

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I feel bad for all the people this is going to put in a really rotten bind (this does not include those with seven-figure bonuses). I can understand the "good money after bad" argument, especially after 30+ years of head-in-the-sand behavior by the companies. The less savory political motivations of some of the powers-that-be are about as slimy as usual. Just for history's sake, a small list for contemplation: Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Hupmobile, Nash, Auburn, Pierce Arrow, Locomobile (not to mention W.T Grant).
Don't forget Tucker ;-)

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,491 Posts
Besides some of the other great comments said here, one thing that REALLY bothered me (OK, pissed me off) was the UAW saying "absolutely not" to any immediate pay cuts to go "in line with Japanese autoworkers" here in the states (Senate requirement). :-x:-(
IMHO that's exactly what the problem is - overpaid workers producing a substandard product (yes, management included). How much does a UAW worker get to just sweep the floor? That should be a MINIMUM wage job. Is it? Doubt it, UAW would scream!!!! :-x:x
Until they commit to "reasonable wages for the job accomplished", then they will probably not get closer to the black than they are right now..... :rolleyes::-:)-(

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Besides some of the other great comments said here, one thing that REALLY bothered me (OK, pissed me off) was the UAW saying "absolutely not" to any immediate pay cuts to go "in line with Japanese autoworkers" here in the states (Senate requirement). :-x:-(
IMHO that's exactly what the problem is - overpaid workers producing a substandard product (yes, management included). How much does a UAW worker get to just sweep the floor? That should be a MINIMUM wage job. Is it? Doubt it, UAW would scream!!!! :-x:x
Until they commit to "reasonable wages for the job accomplished", then they will probably not get closer to the black than they are right now..... :rolleyes::-:)-(
I agree. I can't wrap my brain around the whole "I had rather lose my job than take a pay cut" mentality.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I agree. I can't wrap my brain around the whole "I had rather lose my job than take a pay cut" mentality.:twisted:
Because then there would be unemployment- can you imagine the ramifications to our economy? :-x

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I think many (most?) of the workers feel like they've been betrayed by their companies, maybe even their union. In a way I don't blame them for looking out for themselves, but surely everyone saw this coming.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I find it amusing that when it was suggested to GM that they consolidate some lines like the chevy/gmc truck line they said they couldn't do that because the trucks weren't really the same and that the lines were geared to different crowds. If it is just a matter of options then how hard is it? One truck can have either the rubber floors with vinyl seats or the option for leather and carpet. Too many excuses tires the American consumer. I think that the majority of US citizens agree that if the failure of the "big" three didn't have such a key factor in the state of the economy they would agree that it was time to let them fail.

Make room for the up and coming electric car companies that are trying to get started. Maybe Congress should give them a little cash to get them started or have the Car Czar appoint these guys design control over Detroit.;-)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't have much faith in the concept behind the "car czar". If that adds transparency to the bailout then its a good thing. Somehow I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, the Car Czar is kind of a joke if you ask me. I don't see how it would really do anything but create one new job in the federal government.

Oh well....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yeah, the Car Czar is kind of a joke if you ask me. I don't see how it would really do anything but create one new job in the federal government.
And that somehow helps our economy, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I just sent my resume' in for the "Car Czar" job:cool:

I've always wanted to be a Czar:D
Good idea- I may be in competition with you . . . I need to get some extra income for my family SO MY KIDS CAN EAT! :-x

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very well stated! What makes me sad is the UAW not only is cutting their own throat (I could care less about that) but they are hurting many innocent upstream and downstream small business owner who support the automotive industry.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Very well stated! What makes me sad is the UAW not only is cutting their own throat (I could care less about that) but they are hurting many innocent upstream and downstream small business owner who support the automotive industry.
Agreed- very sad how many innocent people and business will be affected by their unwise decisions.

I just read this morning how dealerships may start closing, difficulty in finding places to service vehicles, resale values will plummet even more . . . the list goes on and on :sad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts