Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see there is a special tool for pushing the boots back on, so what do you guys really use to get them back on? Also I'm assuming lithium grease is fine to use, but I'm open to suggestions. As soon as my parts get here from Majestic I have a lot of suspension work to do and just getting ready for it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I prefer Moly over lithium.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No need to use special tool for installing ball joint boot. Simply take the new boot with you to your local hardware store and find a metal pipe fitting that would fit on the flange of the boot. Make sure the pipe is longer then the ball joint shaft. You'll need to be able to use a small hammer to tap the boot in place.

As for grease, I would stick with the factory choice - non-moly. I ended up using just regular automotive lithium grease.

B

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I got ahead of myself on that question. Day 2 and I'm still stuck on the driver's side rear. Every single bolt is seized and it's driving me mad.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i used an attachment nozzle from a vaccum as it was the right size to fit over. I highly recommend using a plastic or PVC pipe as the metal may have a sharp edge and the boot is very VERY easy to puncture (I speak from experience).

·
Registered
158 Posts
socket

I used a wrench socket to press on the new ball joint boots. I don't recall the size but it was a metric 12-point and fit nicely over the boot to knuckle mating region. Note that if you press too hard it will cut the boot (as I learned from experience). The proper Honda OEM tool (front hub dis/assembly tool 07965-SA50500) works but you can always find or make an equivalent as needed. Good luck. BTW, I used regular grease as indicated in the manual. No problems noted in the last 50K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts