Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
I'm new to the forum...long time lurker, first time poster.

anyways,
My E was taken in 1 month ago for new rodors & brakes and because the check Engine light came on. Service shop found nothing wrong anything else but did say i needed new tires (engine light turned off about 30min before it was serviced). I did all the repairs but did not get new tires.

I was not able to purchase the new tires because of cost and lived with the slight rumble feeling they were making. Anyways, yesterday i drained the battery by leaving the car in the ON position for 15 min. I left the E alone for 4 hrs, came back, and it started. Everything was fine until this morning...when driving to work the Engine light came on again right before the car started feeling a little wobbly....very slighty wobbly.

Could it be a bad battery>?
Could it be my tires?
something else??

Help. i'm supposed to drive to NYC from MN tommorow...i might need to rent a car!:|

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Do I understand that the shop tried to look up the Check Engine light at first but found nothing? Should be able to drop back by and try again at no cost. Otherwise, go by an Autozone and have them do a quick read for free. Get the code, bring it here and look it up on the web. Between the two, can usually come up with what's up.

No need to despair until you find what needs to be dealt with...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep, definitely take it to autozone or pep boys (or similar) to get the codes read and interpreted. The wobbly feeling might be an engine misfire or vaccuum leak causing a stumble, rather than tires.

Depending on the severity of the problem you may or may not want to take it on a long trip. Just keep in mind that the check engine light is really a "more pollution than expected " light and sometimes comes on due to such minor things as a bad or incorrectly tightened gas cap. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My first question would be the odometer mileage, and my second, how many miles since your last dealer performed maintenance.

Engine intermittently feeling "wobbly" = running rough when cold + check engine light could be anything that effects the fuel/air mixture, including bad gas, water accumulation in the tank, loose gas filler cap, obstructed air filter.

I personally wouldn't trust a vehicle with those symptoms for a cross country interstate expressway trip, but here's what I'd do if I had no alternative.

1. Pray.
2. Before you leave, locate Honda dealers at 100 mile intervals along your planned route. If the check engine light comes on after the engine is warmed up, especially at highway speeds, drive to the nearest one.
3. Make sure that you have enough cash+credit with you to stay 2 extra nights at overnight at a motel, + $1000 for emergencies. (Not a bad idea anyway).
4. Eyeball check the engine air filter and the oil color on the dipstick. If either one is black, plan to change them ASAP. Check/correct your tire pressure. Pack an emergency flashlight light, blanket, water, food, flares, jumper cables, 1 qt oil, emergency gas can.
5. Fill up the fuel tank with gas from a major brand, and add a bottle of fuel line antifreeze (alcohol). Pickup a bottle of fuel injector cleaner at the same time. Tighten the filler cap 3 -4 clicks.
6. Let the fuel level run down below the level where the waning light comes on, plus 30-40 miles. Refill with name brand gas and add the fuel injector cleaner.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,162 Posts
Yep, definitely take it to autozone or pep boys (or similar) to get the codes read and interpreted. The wobbly feeling might be an engine misfire or vaccuum leak causing a stumble, rather than tires.

Depending on the severity of the problem you may or may not want to take it on a long trip. Just keep in mind that the check engine light is really a "more pollution than expected " light and sometimes comes on due to such minor things as a bad or incorrectly tightened gas cap. :)

If your ever left stranded on the side of the road because you ignored the check engine light i hope you can look back and laugh about it.

A check engine light can be telling you something minor such as the gas cap or that there is something serious about to go on you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts