Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend (the 24th and 25th of April) I drove my E up to Boston (5 hours from me, around 260 miles) and then back to NE Penn, no problem. The following Wednesday, I couldn't start my car - the key fob was not working, headlights not working, 'anti-theft' light not blinking - so I thought it was the battery, which makes sense considering I have an '05 and haven't changed it since I bought it.

My father, a mechanic, bought a new battery and installed it (and checked to make sure the alternator was charging). I checked to make sure everything was running smoothly, and the car started up the three times I tried it, and life was good.

I went out today to start it, and immediately knew I was in trouble when they key fob was once again not working, and got really depressed when the anti0theft light was not blinking, headlights weren't working, etc etc. It's been literally a week since my battery was replaced - I doublechecked to make sure none of the inside lights were set to be constantly on (which they weren't - only set to be on when doors were open).

Am I missing something here? :-( I'm probably missing something incredibly stupid.

·
Registered
816 Posts
sounds like a short is draining the battery...did you do any wiring recently ? also when you shut the door look inside to make sure the interior light is in fact going off..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done any wiring unless you consider my father changing the battery :-D.... sat in it for a good couple of minutes after the battery was installed, and didn't see any lights remaining on. I'm just stumped :(

I'm going to take it to a local mechanic tomorrow, guess I'll jump it (since my parents are in NJ, I am in PA for college and am pretty much stuck here).

·
Registered
11 Posts
New replacement battery going dead in a week

Original battery was 5+ years old. It was weak and not recharging right. So we
had battery replaced with a sears diehard equivalent. Believe it or not, the new battery turned out to be a defective one. Battery was replaced with another one and works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
yes...unfortunately defective new batteries (and other parts) are becoming increasingly common.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where in PA?
Scranton area :)

Well, I jumped it today to take it to a local mechanic, drove fine... kept it running as I ran in (made appt for Monday). Drove around for an additional 30min, then came back to college and parked it - turned engine off, let it sit for a few minutes, tried to start it and it started right up.... did this for an additional 3 times... and it started everytime.

I let it sit for around an hour, hour and a half then decided to try to start it again. Once again, it started right up. I drove it for an additional 30min, then let it sit for 2-3 hours.... and it started again right up.

I'm letting it sit overnight then I am going to try to start it again tomorrow... I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. :grin:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Last weekend (the 24th and 25th of April) I drove my E up to Boston (5 hours from me, around 260 miles) and then back to NE Penn, no problem. The following Wednesday, I couldn't start my car - the key fob was not working, headlights not working, 'anti-theft' light not blinking - so I thought it was the battery, which makes sense considering I have an '05 and haven't changed it since I bought it.

My father, a mechanic, bought a new battery and installed it (and checked to make sure the alternator was charging). I checked to make sure everything was running smoothly, and the car started up the three times I tried it, and life was good.

I went out today to start it, and immediately knew I was in trouble when they key fob was once again not working, and got really depressed when the anti0theft light was not blinking, headlights weren't working, etc etc. It's been literally a week since my battery was replaced - I doublechecked to make sure none of the inside lights were set to be constantly on (which they weren't - only set to be on when doors were open).

Am I missing something here? :-( I'm probably missing something incredibly stupid.
Did you by any chance charge the new battery when you put it in, or take it for a long drive?
New batteries do loose their charge sitting on a shelf, so it's always a good idea to fully charge it, or at the very least go on a fairly long trip (running for at least an hour...).
I understand you started it up a couple of times after installing, but how long did it run?

It's possible that it didn't charge enough, and the 3 starts, actually depleted the charge that was there, and it was dead the next morning. Subsequent boosting and running has given it enough time to charge up, or at least enough that it's able to start...

The fact that it's holding a charge between starts now is a good thing (but every time you start it, without running it, depletes the charge - remember it uses more power to start the car, then run it...)
It probably needs a good charge now, and it will be fine...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Scranton area :)

Sorry to hear that. :lol:

Just kidding. :twisted:

Don't tell me you're at "da U!" I spent 6 years there.

Good luck with it....I'm guessing either bad battery or something left on...maybe a door not closed all the way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Batteries

When the electrolyte is poured into the cells of a lead acid battery to bring it to life the battery technician often fails to affix the date somewhere on the battery. What happens then is the battery is placed on a shelf for storage and no one is able to tell when the battery was put into service. It is possible to purchase a battery several years old thinking it is new. Also, as has been mentioned, the battery can be defective from jump street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts