Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can the stock E battery last in cold climates, ie Wisconsin?
The battery in my motorcycle is almost as big as the E's. My E is facing her second winter and I am wondering if updating to a larger battery ( 820 cca from Walmart ) now or is it a waste of money at this point. The battery is only 65$ so it's prolly worth the peace of mind, but I'm curious as to how long they will last.

:?

·
Registered
510 Posts
i dont know about battery life in cold weather.but my element is still on its first oem equipped battery and i bought it back in nov 2003 with about 59300 miles on it now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know about battery life in cold weather.but my element is still on its first oem equipped battery and i bought it back in nov 2003 with about 59300 miles on it now
Wow! That suprises me as even last year, my element's first winter, there where several cold day's that I was sure it was not going to start. Maybe I'm worried about nothing.:010:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just replaced my battery last week. It was working fine-never had a problem- but considering it was 5½ years old and we now have our first snow, I thought I would play it safe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I got 13 years out of a Walmart battery in my garden tractor. It was a small automotive type battery. Not one of the lawn and garden batteries. I was amazed that it lasted that long.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I still have the original battery and its cranking a little slower then usual this winter when it got down to zero so I just bought a 56 type battery and will install it this afternoon. I will keep the old one for my camper as it still has some umph.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
my battery is the original oem with 67000 miles on it. It makes a difference as far as short trips vs longer commutes. I drive over 400 miles a week so the battery gets a full charge everytime I start it up and drive many miles, the E never sits :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
1'm the second owner of my E. Just had to replace the original a couple of months ago. Let me tell you that when it died it really died, so that you could not go 2 blocks down the street!

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I test drove my E it had around 45,000 miles/3 years. Even though it was a sixty degree day, the starter sounded very weak and it barely got started. It could have been from sitting on the lot too long but I asked the dealer to put in a new battery before I signed the papers. I got a Honda 100 month/500 CCA battery. It's worked fine. However, it's been hovering around zero to minus 5 this week and it has really been putting the little battery to the test. It sounds pretty weak when starting in this cold but it starts and I guess that's what matters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Still driving my 2006 on OEM battery at about 70K miles, but have always carried the emergency jumper battery sold at Costco for around $70. It has saved my tush many times!!! The stock E battery goes dead really quickly when listening to the radio or running accessories with the engine off. One hour of radio at the beach and you could find yourself with a dead battery, no matter how new. I swear by my booster battery. Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts