Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all!
My battery light came on while I was driving. Can anyone help me out? What can I look into first. Thanks in advance.

Honda Element 2003 AWD

-Adriana

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,
Maybe a few things to keep in mind...

You could have a bad battery and a good alternator...

You could be missing the signal from the ICU to the Alternator...

When you test output of alternator you may get 13.5V (good) at idle no load, but...

When you load it, radio on, AC Fan, headlights, wipers, ect....

The voltage may drop to say, 11.5 (bad!)

Just sayin, a few things to keep in mind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Hi,
Maybe a few things to keep in mind...

You could have a bad battery and a good alternator...

You could be missing the signal from the ICU to the Alternator...

When you test output of alternator you may get 13.5V (good) at idle no load, but...

When you load it, radio on, AC Fan, headlights, wipers, ect....

The voltage may drop to say, 11.5 (bad!)

Just sayin, a few things to keep in mind?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,
Another thing, I have used REMY Alternators and never had a problem.

I don't know how much a Honda OEM is, or how deep your pockets...

Admittedly, I try and find the best part at the best price ans some times that is HONDA Parts?

I bought a Junkyard Alternator and rebuilt it, replacing the bearings and voltage regulator and brushes, but...

That maybe further than most people want to go?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve heard and OEM alternator is the way to go.. but i will do my research and look around. Honda is pricey. Thank you!

Hi,
Another thing, I have used REMY Alternators and never had a problem.

I don't know how much a Honda OEM is, or how deep your pockets...

Admittedly, I try and find the best part at the best price ans some times that is HONDA Parts?

I bought a Junkyard Alternator and rebuilt it, replacing the bearings and voltage regulator and brushes, but...

That maybe further than most people want to go?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you try a new ELD ? (No. 15 below) My dash added voltmeter was fluctuating 2-3 volts from sitting to running day or night. EOC showed this as a good starting point and way cheaper & easier than an alternator. Took my time, snapped a pic and had to fight with a Fatory twisted connector, but was only 20 min total. Amazon had the quickest delivery/price. Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 38255-S5A-003 Electronic Load Detector Unit: Automotive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!!! I will definitely start there!

Did you try a new ELD ? (No. 15 below) My dash added voltmeter was fluctuating 2-3 volts from sitting to running day or night. EOC showed this as a good starting point and way cheaper & easier than an alternator. Took my time, snapped a pic and had to fight with a Fatory twisted connector, but was only 20 min total. Amazon had the quickest delivery/price. Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 38255-S5A-003 Electronic Load Detector Unit: Automotive

View attachment 207742

1 - 11 of 11 Posts