Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I hope some of you can give me some advice. I have a 2008 Honda Element that I bought brand new. My battery seems very week. This morning (i live in eastern Canada) I went to start my car and I just got the click, click sound - still under warranty so I called and got a boost. I had the same problem last winter and dealer replaced the battery but this is still the same problem. I am so frustrated as I have never had "new' cars that would not start. Should I pay to have the battery upgraded or is there something I can get the dealer to do?

·
Registered
247 Posts
what is the temp up thair and how many miles or kilomiters do you have on you'r E? If you still have a warranty id let the dealer replace or upgrade the battery.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Extensive discussion here on this topic, Joancrawford. Read the threads (some recently active) on cleaning connections and battery upgrades, and let us know if you have a more specific question.

If your battery is warranteed and testing determines it is bad, by all means let the dealer replace it. They should clean the contacts at the battery (though probably no others) at the same time.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Thanks for including your model year in your post, but, anyway, please complete your member profile - year and model are very important when you're asking for assistance. It helps us get to a solution faster.

If the dealer has already ruled-out issues with the alternator, more than one battery going bad that quickly on a new vehicle indicates possible issues with driving pattern. If you do a lot of short trips, the car will rarely have the opportunity to fully recharge from the previous start. Your no-start when it's cold is a tell-tale that we're dealing with a charging deficit here. Your previous vehicles likely had larger batteries; the E (as discussed many times here) has a small-ish battery which reduces the margin for extreme operating conditions.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My 08 has a week battery also but I was just going to replace it with the everstart maxx-35n from wallmart. Its bigger but everyone on this great site says it will fit and will last longer. Do a search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My E is 2008 EX with 38,000 KM (I just upgraded my profile)
It was -19 C here last night with a wind chill bringing it down to -21
The dealer has already replaced my battery with a new one but the problem still exists. I think I will take the advice and upgrade to a stronger battery but that sort of ticks me off that I have to pay to upgrade a battery on a car that is just over a year old. I have a block heater in the car and am just going to keep in plugged in until I can get it into a dealer. Thankfully my road side assistance takes care of the boast - I have them on speed dial. Thx for you suggestions and comments.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey fellow sop

First, do you have a Remote car starter? I had my wifes problem too, I boosted her car first then change the battery of her remote starter and Whala! It works great now.
I have my battery for five years already and I was thinking of replacing it BUT seems to be good yet. I didnt have issues with it. as the saying goes It it aint broken dont fix it...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I had a remote starter put in and I was wondering if that had something to do with it - where is the battery for those things - is it in that thing that flashes on the windshield? See how technical I am. Ha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts