Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So my 03’ element has 252,000 miles on it. I’m not sure when the battery was last replaced, but thinking it’s been about 4 or 5 years.

So last night driving over the hill to the market I noticed my dashboard started getting dim, as well as my headlights. Once I got to the market my headlight were barely even lighting anything up, very dim.

I turned off the car and when I tried to start it up again I got nothing.

Came back this morning to try and jump it, got a very weak crank but no start.

To me it seems like the battery is shot? Would love to hear anyone’s opinion on this.

I’m thinking about heading back tonight and installing a new battery myself, I’m not experienced at all with working on cars but seems pretty straight forward.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!

Have a great day!

Wesley

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi everyone,

So my 03’ element has 252,000 miles on it. I’m not sure when the battery was last replaced, but thinking it’s been about 4 or 5 years.

So last night driving over the hill to the market I noticed my dashboard started getting dim, as well as my headlights. Once I got to the market my headlight were barely even lighting anything up, very dim.

I turned off the car and when I tried to start it up again I got nothing.

Came back this morning to try and jump it, got a very weak crank but no start.

To me it seems like the battery is shot? Would love to hear anyone’s opinion on this.

I’m thinking about heading back tonight and installing a new battery myself, I’m not experienced at all with working on cars but seems pretty straight forward.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!

Have a great day!

Wesley
The battery certainly could be bad at 4-5 years, but with everything dimming while running, it sounds like it could also possibly be your alternator or maybe corroded cables not charging the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery certainly could be bad at 4-5 years, but with everything dimming while running, it sounds like it could also possibly be your alternator or maybe corroded cables not charging the battery.
Thanks for the input!

After doing more research today I'm thinking it is the alternator. Am going to get AAA to come test the battery and get it towed to the shop if needed.

Thanks again,

Wesley

·
Registered
147 Posts
I dont know if youve checked the belt yet, i imagine youd smell it if it was slipping significantly. Alternator is most likely suspect, but batteries do short.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone!

So it ended up being the alternator, so having that replace. Figured while I was at it I would also get a new battery!

Excited to get the E back on the road! Aiming to make it to 300,000 miles :).

Cheers,

Wesley

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes definitely alternator - once the car is running, voltage to run stuff is provided by the alternator, not the battery, so when you see things like headlights fading while driving, you know your alternator is no longer functioning and instead you are now running everything off your battery...this of course won't last long, especially with headlights on. Glad you were able to get it fixed and you were wise to replace that battery as well. Good advise to check the condition of your serpentine belt as well - if it is old and worn, it could go out and cause the same sorts of problems so best to replace if it's due.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
dgale
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing