Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much lift can you get out of the rears before you need spacers? I was only planning on a 2" overall suspension lift.
Who sells just rear spacers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might be able to get 2" out of it. I'm at about 3" extra ground clearance, but some of that is due to the taller tires. Either way you don't want to go so high that you need to cut the frame to accommodate the tie rods. You're just in for a whole host of other issues then. I left a half inch between my tie rod and frame with the front coilovers completely unloaded.

You can find spacers on eBay, the rears are much less specialized than the front. Just be aware that the bolts on the coilovers are pretty long so you may need an additional plate. I used CCM spacers because I already had a kit that I never used & I needed to have a 1/4" plate made to add a little extra height to accommodate the bolts.

Bottom line, they're adjustable. You can try em without the spacers first and see if it works then change it if it doesn't. I will say the back is wayyy harder to adjust the height once they're installed, the front is pretty easy to do. Definitely get as close to the desired height BEFORE installing them.
How much lift can you get out of the rears before you need spacers? I was only planning on a 2" overall suspension lift.
Who sells just rear spacers?
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
First Post!
Epicly long time lurker - so it's time to give back to the community :)

I also have a set of the +40mm coilovers, and experieced the same issues as chronchameleon(@bullcityelement). I've detailed some of them on my instagram as well (@nathansorochan).

I did manage to find Aerogenics USA spacers for the Element, and they fit PERFECT on the BC coilovers. So perfect, I asked them to set up a group buy. Here's the basics of it:

www.aerogenicsusa.com

And nope, no affiliation, just wanna see people get up there :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, first post, and I am hoping for some guidance on this.

I bought the BC Racing kit with 40-60mm extension and 8/16 springs and rear control arms. Took it to my favorite shop and they said it's a no go, and they couldn't get it to work "safely." The issue, according to them is that even with the struts adjusted for only a 1" lift, they were not happy with the tie rod clearance and pinch well clearance. The manager stated that the kit doesn't seem to be designed well for safety. He claims they spent 4 hours with one corner of the car, before they threw in the towel and claimed no glory.
It seems like most people in this thread are doing the install themselves. I have a buddy that has a shop, without a lift, who said we could get it done together. I do all the basic maintenance on my Element, and have all the factory service manual,and given I live in an area without a lot of shops/mechanics, I am thinking of doing it myself.
I spoke with Chris at Import Racing, and he state the Honda Element is about the easiest vehicle to install this coilover kit on, and they have never had the issues my shop is describing. The shop manager said if I am going to do this myself with my friend, plan on a day to a day and half without a lift to get this done.
So, I am looking for some feedback from the collective, please.

Did others experience issues with the tie rods, pinch wells, etc?

Is this a job that can be done in a half a day or so with all the right tools, except a lift?

I am wondering if I dug my self a rabbit hole that I never wanted to go down, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, first post, and I am hoping for some guidance on this.

I bought the BC Racing kit with 40-60mm extension and 8/16 springs and rear control arms. Took it to my favorite shop and they said it's a no go, and they couldn't get it to work "safely." The issue, according to them is that even with the struts adjusted for only a 1" lift, they were not happy with the tie rod clearance and pinch well clearance. The manager stated that the kit doesn't seem to be designed well for safety. He claims they spent 4 hours with one corner of the car, before they threw in the towel and claimed no glory.
It seems like most people in this thread are doing the install themselves. I have a buddy that has a shop, without a lift, who said we could get it done together. I do all the basic maintenance on my Element, and have all the factory service manual,and given I live in an area without a lot of shops/mechanics, I am thinking of doing it myself.
I spoke with Chris at Import Racing, and he state the Honda Element is about the easiest vehicle to install this coilover kit on, and they have never had the issues my shop is describing. The shop manager said if I am going to do this myself with my friend, plan on a day to a day and half without a lift to get this done.
So, I am looking for some feedback from the collective, please.

Did others experience issues with the tie rods, pinch wells, etc?

Is this a job that can be done in a half a day or so with all the right tools, except a lift?

I am wondering if I dug my self a rabbit hole that I never wanted to go down, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Day to a day and a half sounds about right from what I remember when I did mine.

Sounds like the shop you took it too wasn't doing something right. I've got over 10k on mine with no problems so far. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't lift the front so much that the tie rods are hitting the frame. I left a half inch clearance with the front end off the ground (springs unloaded). Unless you're planning on taking your E off some jumps, a half inch, unloaded should be fine. Even with the added steering angle on the tie rods with the lift I haven't really noticed any bump-steer. The worst thing I've noticed is that the rubber on my new tie rod ends split a bit from the extra angle, but they're greasable (and cheap) so I'm not too worried about that. If you want to correct the tie rod angle you can get one of these and flip it upside down since it's usually used for lowered cars:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192545034219

It replaces the bracket on the steering rack where the inner tie rod attaches. I plan on doing it eventually, but like I said--haven't really had any issues so far so I'm not in a hurry, just enjoying my hard work for now :)

This would be an opportune time to replace all the serviceable parts on your front suspension too. Ball joints, tie rods, LCA bushings, pads, rotors etc. Also: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OEM AXLES. I can't stress that enough. You'll probably get some vibration on acceleration if you have aftermarket axles. Trust me. Stick with OEM for that.

Between the coilovers and the bigger tires I'm happy with where it sits. I do plan on jacking the rear up a bit more now that I have my cartop carrier and camper system installed, it looks a little saggy to me (probably just me tho :D) I've got some stuff in my highlighted stories over on my IG @bullcityelement, happy to try to answer any questions (I'm more likely to respond on IG)

Added note: this mod is completely reversible. Save your old struts and you can always go back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These are definitely superior for this. If I had do do it again I'd use these instead of the extra CCM rear spacer I had + a 1/4" plate. No plate necessary with these!
First Post!
Epicly long time lurker - so it's time to give back to the community :)

I also have a set of the +40mm coilovers, and experieced the same issues as chronchameleon(@bullcityelement). I've detailed some of them on my instagram as well (@nathansorochan).

I did manage to find Aerogenics USA spacers for the Element, and they fit PERFECT on the BC coilovers. So perfect, I asked them to set up a group buy. Here's the basics of it:

www.aerogenicsusa.com

And nope, no affiliation, just wanna see people get up there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's another option for correcting the tie rod angle:

https://h-tune.co.uk/tegiwa-steering-rack-raiser-civic-ep3-integra-dc5/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vT-UI4n9bVSn94uN5ge_GB8y4RFFvBPVvimz_cc5ekVN50Kf1Vw1LIaAu78EALw_wcB
Day to a day and a half sounds about right from what I remember when I did mine.

Sounds like the shop you took it too wasn't doing something right. I've got over 10k on mine with no problems so far. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't lift the front so much that the tie rods are hitting the frame. I left a half inch clearance with the front end off the ground (springs unloaded). Unless you're planning on taking your E off some jumps, a half inch, unloaded should be fine. Even with the added steering angle on the tie rods with the lift I haven't really noticed any bump-steer. The worst thing I've noticed is that the rubber on my new tie rod ends split a bit from the extra angle, but they're greasable (and cheap) so I'm not too worried about that. If you want to correct the tie rod angle you can get one of these and flip it upside down since it's usually used for lowered cars:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192545034219

It replaces the bracket on the steering rack where the inner tie rod attaches. I plan on doing it eventually, but like I said--haven't really had any issues so far so I'm not in a hurry, just enjoying my hard work for now :)

This would be an opportune time to replace all the serviceable parts on your front suspension too. Ball joints, tie rods, LCA bushings, pads, rotors etc. Also: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OEM AXLES. I can't stress that enough. You'll probably get some vibration on acceleration if you have aftermarket axles. Trust me. Stick with OEM for that.

Between the coilovers and the bigger tires I'm happy with where it sits. I do plan on jacking the rear up a bit more now that I have my cartop carrier and camper system installed, it looks a little saggy to me (probably just me tho :D) I've got some stuff in my highlighted stories over on my IG @bullcityelement, happy to try to answer any questions (I'm more likely to respond on IG)

Added note: this mod is completely reversible. Save your old struts and you can always go back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chronchameleon, thank you for the response and feedback.

I do have OEM axles. My struts are currently super done, so there's no going back to the old struts for any length of time, as they are ready for the trash (175,000 miles on them).

I am already running 225/75R16's, and they were working great until my struts started to sag so much that my front tires began eating the wheel well liners in downhill corners. I use my E hard, load it heavy, and take it down some pretty rough dirt roads. I do want to keep things as simple as possible, while also making sure I have enough clearance with tie rods, etc to keep things safe.

I appreciate the links to steering rack raisers, but only want to go down that road if necessary. From talking to the Import Racing guys, and from what I read, while the angle on the tie rods is not ideal, it's functional without the rack raisers.

I am wondering if you used Briancoops (post #45) numbers as a ballpark starting point for the adjustments, or did you just jump in and figure it out as you went?

Also, did you get your E up on jack stands and do all 4 struts at once or did you do one corner at a time?

The shop manager recommended just working one side at a time. I am just trying to gather as much intel as I can before I jump in, as my buddy (actually his wife) just had a kid 3 weeks ago, and I am cashing in a lot of friend credit by getting him to take time to lend me his shop and tools to do this.

Again, I greatly appreciate your sharing of first hand data on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another question, regarding these spacers.

Are they necessary in the rear? Recommended?

I understand the front has a lot more adjustment than the rear in terms of ride height, so would it make sense to do a 1" block in only the rear?

If I go for that extra 1" block in the rear am I setting up potential tie rod issues up front, or is this still within the realm of available clearance?

I apologize for all the questions here, but I don't do/have Instagram, and perhaps with the answers here, immortalized for all of time, someone else can benefit from my curiosity and your experience.

These are definitely superior for this. If I had do do it again I'd use these instead of the extra CCM rear spacer I had + a 1/4" plate. No plate necessary with these!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
You are right to ask here. All the info lives here. Everywhere else like Facebook or instagram is a lucid dream of what may or may not be possible. No one knows but everyone’s heard rumors.

I’ve got 3” rear lift and 2” front and it hasn’t had any impact on my tie rods in the 20k since it’s been installed.

I don’t know if that helps you. If the 1” spacer is really an inch thick then it will add 1.6” to the rear.

From what I saw on Instagram (rumors again) a guy with the bc setup and an eCamper couldn’t get the back up more than an inch. Maybe that’s the extra weight.

He also was trying to squeeze 31” tires in there. I think it worked eventually. Just saying he didn’t have much wiggle room to lower the front. You may be good without it if you only want an inch.

My tires never scrubbed up front with factory height and I was running some 10 offset rims with 227/75r16 on fire roads. The back was a nightmare without some spring helpers and never really played nice until the lift happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cursh, thanks for the first hand account of your setup.

I am considering using the 1" Aerogenics spacer. It looks like a nice clean connection, with limited complications.

It seems like I can do a 1" spacer in the rear with nothing but the BC Coilovers up front and probably get 2" total from stock, which is about 3" from the sorry state of affairs my current worn-out suspension is at.

If I can do that with limited complications, I'd be a pretty happy feller.

I am open to suggestions and feedback regarding the experiences of others though...

You are right to ask here. All the info lives here. Everywhere else like Facebook or instagram is a lucid dream of what may or may not be possible. No one knows but everyone’s heard rumors.

I’ve got 3” rear lift and 2” front and it hasn’t had any impact on my tie rods in the 20k since it’s been installed.

I don’t know if that helps you. If the 1” spacer is really an inch thick then it will add 1.6” to the rear.

From what I saw on Instagram (rumors again) a guy with the bc setup and an eCamper couldn’t get the back up more than an inch. Maybe that’s the extra weight.

He also was trying to squeeze 31” tires in there. I think it worked eventually. Just saying he didn’t have much wiggle room to lower the front. You may be good without it if you only want an inch.

My tires never scrubbed up front with factory height and I was running some 10 offset rims with 227/75r16 on fire roads. The back was a nightmare without some spring helpers and never really played nice until the lift happened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cursh, thanks for the first hand account of your setup.

I am considering using the 1" Aerogenics spacer. It looks like a nice clean connection, with limited complications.

It seems like I can do a 1" spacer in the rear with nothing but the BC Coilovers up front and probably get 2" total from stock, which is about 3" from the sorry state of affairs my current worn-out suspension is at.

If I can do that with limited complications, I'd be a pretty happy feller.

I am open to suggestions and feedback regarding the experiences of others though...
I did use jackstands, but mainly because I was having all 4 tires mounted while I was doing the work. You could do one side at a time if you wanted to. I was doing brakes and various suspension components along with mine so the jackstands just worked best for me.

The spacers are necessary in the rear, as Cursh pointed out someone who tried without them couldn't make it work. For whatever reason the rears aren't as adjustable as the front. The rear spacers will have no effect on the tie rods in the front.

Definitely more in depth info here as Cursh pointed out, where the forums are lacking though is pics: photo bucket is terrible and the pics eventually go away. I can't even count the number of threads I've looked at, wanting info and examples only to find that none of the pics were there any more. Contrary to what most folks think, you don't actually need an Instagram account to look at Instagram and you can do it from a plain old desktop browser if you want. If you want to see more pics of my rig and pics of the install process head here, no account necessary: https://www.instagram.com/bullcityelement/

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Yeah, the great photo buck smash and grab of 2016.

Freedom isn't free.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
How long does it take to receive the BC coilovers? I just got my package and it was just the adjustable control arms, no coilovers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my control arms first, too. Maybe 2 weeks later the coilovers came? Just be patient, they will arrive in a box that fits nicely behind the rear seats. I've not started my lift yet, still picking tires.

Are the rear spacers really a necessity? I was hoping for the cost of the coilovers, I'd be all set. I'll keep reading. Only looking for 2" lift, max. Do I still need those rear spacers?

Anyone try the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W? Price and reviews online look pretty good.

Good luck everyone, I hope to get mine done before Ohio snow...

61 - 80 of 101 Posts