Honda Element Owners Club banner

Bc coil special order as a lift

55K views 118 replies 48 participants last post by  Zues 
#1 ·
Just talked to a big dealer for bc coilovers. They spoke to bc (probably not bc na because they told me not possible) and said they can special order me their coilovers with longer springs and longer dampers...to be able
To give the element a slight lift of 1.5 to just shy of 2 inches...

But that it's a 4 week wait...

So I'm going to go that route and try it out! Hopefully it's not a waste of a grand!

#3 ·
Response from BC

I just got the email back saying they do not do taller than OEM.
CMR is offering lift Coilovers but it looks like they just use extensions on the shock shaft to cover the extra length and some Ground Control style springs with threaded body kit that sits over OEM shocks.

#4 ·
Yeah. BC will use longer springs and 40 mm longer than their lowered coilover shocks. I expect a 15-20 mm lift at full height...

7/14 kg/mm springs

They are here... Waiting for rear adj arms to come in and then I will do the install...hopefully next week.

#5 ·
I did not use CMR for two reasons... First...they would not answer any of the questions I would ask when I would contact them. They would just give me random information about something else. It almost seemed like they were dodging the pertinent information as to whether or not the shocks for the work with an increased spring rate or travel...

Second ... The stock shocks can barely handle the factory spring rate and the factory travel as it is. A longer spring is possibly just going to take the factory shock out of its effective stroke range.

I ordered the BC stuff through import image racing and they were very happy to accommodate my questions. They also said that bc would sort the spring length and rate as well as the dampening for the longer shock.

Not sure how much thought bc will put but anything has to be better than stock..

#7 ·
Sorry for the lagging response. I am/was waiting for my track car to get retuned and then drive that around while I got the element serviced and the suspension put on... Well the tune was lagging and I just couldn't drive the E as it was anymore.

I started putting on the coilovers tonight, and ran out of time before the wife went to work. I am a wee bit on the broken side still so I need a hand on a few things so I am awaiting her to help push the rear disc knuckle assembly down so I can align the bolt through the bottom of the coilover...

Then it's drop on the ground and check ride height.

The fronts are currently set at around stock height and have probably 2-3 inches in upward height adjustment available.

The rears, not sure yet. Looks to be about the same in extra height adjustment range.

I'm hoping to have this sorted and aligned by tomorrow noon. I'm only looking for an inch to max 2 inches lift just so I won't have problems with 225/75/16 and chains etc.

I don't know how much travel these bc coilovers have so I doubt this is going to be an articulation or high speed fire trail King!

Btw...I hate these sway bar links. I've got to find some spherical joints to replace this crap with.
Any ideas?

#8 ·
Okie dokie. Adjustable upper rear arms were a necessity. But got everything in and set them to stock ride height. Car rides great. I mean great.

The coilovers are set at their mid way height point, meaning I can easily thread them up another 1 to 2 inches. I will probably only go 1 inch (1.5 max) higher after all the "possible" axle issues.

New dampners really let you know how crappy your old ones were.

So to anyone looking. I ordered these bc/br coilovers with a custom ride height from import image racing. Call them on the phone and tell them to order you the added height ones. There is no price bump.

If they are not sure what you are talking about (I doubt it), tell them to look up what they did for "slide" on the "nasioc forums"... That will get you sorted.

#9 ·
Longer bc/br coilovers for a lift

Hey all!!! They work!!!!
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128241

I took a chance and ordered a set of longer coilovers and sure enough, at their lower than mid height setting they are at stock height (+.5 inch or so)...

They ride pretty dang good considering it's a sub grand coilover system. Waaaaay better than stock.

It's a single spring, so no tenders (you could probably ask and do a swift spring upgrade and dual rate it).

But anyways.... Actual coilovers that will give our "E"'s a lift with out spacers and all that nonsense...

I'll get pics tomorrow. The wife just took the car to work...

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Look at the difference in size of springs!
OK - so they work the same? Why such a huge size difference?

#12 ·
Awesome!

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am itching to get new shocks before I lose a filling going over all the pot holes from this winter.
Good for you for doing that legwork. They should give you a kickback for every set they sell.

Did you wife have any complaints about the ride quality?

#13 ·
She had none! The tires we have are old, hard (like no more oil in them) and need to be changed.

She did say that the car felt more "connected"
And I told her that's normal now that the blown dampners are gone etc.

I softened the fronts by 3 clicks and she said it was better. I'll soften the rear as well a couple clicks until we get new tires next month...

I'm looking for 225/75/16 and I can't decide what... I was thinking a cooper a/t.... I want something that is street friendly.... But not a primarily street tire. A good fire road tire...

But also keeping in mind that 85-90% of the driving is on street and some freeway...

It's just reality... I've made tire purchases on dreaming what id like to do with the vehicle vs where the vehicle was all the time... Sure those MT were nice that one or two times I went crazy...but the rest of the time they sucked...
That's how I feel about the KO's and most aggressive A/T tired too...

One Memory...I drove back from Tahoe in my big old truck...lockers etc, bead locks...37's on 17... MT tires... There was ice and water on the road all
The way up and all the way back...it was horrible...I would have killed for some suv/street tires!!!!

#14 ·
Tires are expensive mistakes

I hear you on the tires. I had 32" BFG Mud T/A on my old Jeep and I have learned to be more realistic about what I need. Hence the move from my last lifted Range Rover Classic to the Honda Element. Time to be sensible, but I can still enjoy a little lift and better shocks.

Max

#15 ·
Well...id still love a classic rover. There are two Canadian military ones for sale. 2 dr...one soft top, one hard top.

Unknown condition or price. They were recently demilitarized and imported to us. The dealer is by appt only and were rude when I tried to make an appointment.

They would not give me a price over the phone either. Oh well...

I'd love to have one though...that and a pinzgauer and a unimog....

Alas... I'm a broken medically retired guy who has no marketable
Skill sets for a job that pays more than minimum wage... :( permanent house husband on a very meager allowance....
:(

#16 ·
I softened the front 3 clicks from stick and it's drives great. I may soften the rears one click. After that it should be set for street with the crappy Yokohama tires at stock height.

In a few days I'll raise it a bit and start this process over again.

#17 ·
Per the guys at import image after I emailed them giving them an update on the parts (I also let them know there was plenty of space to run a one to two inch compression travel of a dual rate of the wanted to get crazy and run a dual rate spring set up:

..... I'll be happy to do any sort of custom coilovers for you guys. I've been getting a decent amount of cars that i don't usually sell for, and I love it. We sold so many audi all road coilovers (the early 2000's) lifted etc, Bc actually made it a part # and product specific for them. I have a feeling the more element guys we get going the more options there will be

Josh

#21 ·
Thank you for being the guinea pig for this. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, but wasn't sure how to get the ball rolling. Do you have any pictures of them installed, or of your E at its new height?

#19 ·
spacers are easy though and the 225's shouldn't rub. I've got +35 spacing and that's the max you can really get away with 225/75 dynapros . . .

As far as tires, I really like my Dyna Pros. They don't weight much more than the goodyear assurance I had on the car before and the mileage hit wasn't noticeable in town . . . on the interstate I'm down 2-3mpg, but I think the +35 offset is partially to blame for that.

-B

#20 ·
Slim Coilovers

Those coil overs are really slim compared to the regular struts. That should give you a nice bit of clearance for the taller tires because from what I could see it looked like the strut was the first point of contact if I didn't get a spacer(on stock rims).

#26 ·
Same lifespan? Same durability?
Works same in harsh enviro like snow and wet and mud?
Adds 1" to 2" of lift on demand?

Then what's not to like?

Is there any reason not to do this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.