Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have had our 2006 E for about 2 months, and are wanting to take it camping at the beach. I never realized how difficult it is to track down rules and regulations for where and when you can camp, besides at campgrounds.

Does anybody have experience with camping at or on the beach in NC? If we're limited to campgrounds, do you have any recommendations for which ones to hit?

·
Registered
543 Posts
One guy who knows a lot of the ins/out/rules of Carolina beach camping is ReaperZune8 (Mike), who has lived in East Carolina for a few years and liked to spend a lot of time on the beach. He may be out of touch for a short while, as he is in the process of moving to NH, but I'm betting he'll jump in here when he gets back on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Beach Camping Could Be Tough

My wife and I have had our 2006 E for about 2 months, and are wanting to take it camping at the beach. I never realized how difficult it is to track down rules and regulations for where and when you can camp, besides at campgrounds.

Does anybody have experience with camping at or on the beach in NC? If we're limited to campgrounds, do you have any recommendations for which ones to hit?
I'm down OBX at least twice a year and things are changing more and more each time I go down. Now that the environmentalists have taken over OBX they get after people camping on the beach. They are OK with people fishing all night but if they see folks just camping they will hassle you, fine you, and make you move along. They want you to use the numerous campgrounds on the island.

http://www.outerbanks.org/accommodations/nps_campgrounds/

Some folks say the beaches at Cape Lookout may allow for beach camping but I couldn't verify it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah Carolina Beach and OBX are two different things. I think Reaper was able to drive out on the beach (Carolina Beach) and camp. If I remember right, I think Eric went with him once earlier this summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. We've decided to postpone until things cool off a bit. Don't want to be miserable the whole trip!

·
Registered
816 Posts
How busy have you found it for the ones that don't accept reservations? If we just plan a spur-of-the-moment getaway, are there usually spots available?
Drive by but have not stayed at either the Oregon Inlet (near northern end of the Bonner Bridge) or Cape Point (near Hatteras Lighthouse) campgrounds. Stayed at Frisco (1 1/2 miles north of Hatteras Village) in early spring and during the fall and there has always been lots of space.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm down OBX at least twice a year and things are changing more and more each time I go down. Now that the environmentalists have taken over OBX they get after people camping on the beach. They are OK with people fishing all night but if they see folks just camping they will hassle you, fine you, and make you move along. They want you to use the numerous campgrounds on the island.

http://www.outerbanks.org/accommodations/nps_campgrounds/

Some folks say the beaches at Cape Lookout may allow for beach camping but I couldn't verify it.
Don't mean to thread jack and not PM...:oops: but, i figured this would be good general info for beach campers :)
quick question for you...
we're heading to OBX(Corolla) at the end of the month for a week(rented a house)...I am hearing nightmare stories about driving on beach.
Supposedly the E doesn't have enough ground clearance for this particular area. Do you have any helpful information for the Corolla, OBX area? :?
We could keep out E at office(10 miles from house) b/c we have other bigger SUV's coming, but it would be nice to have access to our own car. I just don't want to get stuck and ruin the first day of vacation :twisted:
TIA!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack and not PM...:oops: but, i figured this would be good general info for beach campers :)
quick question for you...
we're heading to OBX(Corolla) at the end of the month for a week(rented a house)...I am hearing nightmare stories about driving on beach.
Supposedly the E doesn't have enough ground clearance for this particular area. Do you have any helpful information for the Corolla, OBX area? :?
We could keep out E at office(10 miles from house) b/c we have other bigger SUV's coming, but it would be nice to have access to our own car. I just don't want to get stuck and ruin the first day of vacation :twisted:
TIA!
The sand is usually pretty soft on the NC beaches and there could be some sizeable ruts to contend with. I've ridden on the beaches of Avon but you have to be very careful or you can get hung up. Your posting makes me believe you think your house is north of the paved roads. There are some established dirt roads up that end of the OBX beaches that are maintained. I would google it and look at the arial view to see where your rental house is located.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Howdy Duty LOngbrook

Try Googling Freeman Park NC

Its basically at Carolina Beach

I went out there with another EOCer REaperzune and camped out there...you have to have an E with 4x4
there are lots of people out there too...and pizza, beer, firewood deliveries all day/night...which was weird to me. It was Dog Friendly. There are porta potties out there but I don't think there were any showers???

·
Registered
541 Posts
The sand is usually pretty soft on the NC beaches and there could be some sizeable ruts to contend with. I've ridden on the beaches of Avon but you have to be very careful or you can get hung up. Your posting makes me believe you think your house is north of the paved roads. There are some established dirt roads up that end of the OBX beaches that are maintained. I would google it and look at the arial view to see where your rental house is located.
Yeah, the house is aprox 10 miles north of where the road comes to an end and looks to "turn" into the ocean by looking at google map. I saw those dirt roads...I couldn't tell if they were for cars or ATV's. I also checked the tide chart, and of course I will be arriving during high tide. I'll probably just wait to see how my brothers Pilot does and/or park at the office. We'll see. Thanks for the information!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts