Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently a bear attacked this plane while parked in a remote field in Alaska. The pilot had not cleaned out the inside after a long fishing trip and the bear smelled it.

2 new tires, 3 cases of Duct Tape and several rolls of cellophane were delivered, then he went about repairing the plane so he could fly it home.

Gutsy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Wow... Who'da thunk I could be an aircraft mechanic, too?!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bear Attacks Plane

What is to be learned, not to leave fish in an Element ?

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had no idea those types of planes were so... canvas-y.
The plane is a 1958 Piper Super Cub. The incident appears to have occurred 9 years ago (oldest posting I found on the internet), but in the last month has resurfaced anew. The attached image is dated July 2009, so N9368D is back in service and based in Anchorage. My first flight with my dad on my 11th birthday was in a 1955 model.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Now THAT's some serious skills people...! Just imagine that pilot with a shop... He (or she) could of built a whole NEW plane with more duct tape...! LOL!!!

LBD

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
That is a lot of duck tape!!! I wonder how much it weighed with all of that extra layering???

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hmmmm...

Let's see...

The bear ate about 30-lbs... A box of duct tape weighs about 40-50 lbs (source: http://www.walcocorp.com/duct.html) so 3 boxes of tape at 45 lbs is about 135 lbs... The plastic sheets, I don't know...! LOL!!!

LBD

·
Registered
941 Posts
If the women don't find you handsome they some atleast find you handy.
Go duct tape.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
When the Enola Gay (B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima) was being refurbished in the 1990s, I visited the facility (the Smithsonian's Garber facility) where the work was being done and was surprised it entailed in part stitching new fabric for parts of the wings.

Fabric control surfaces and fuselages were not uncommon in aviation history.

So duct tape is not a great stretch, pardon the pun. It has a great strength-to-weight ratio.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bears...the wilderness...duct tape to the rescue. All the mystery and intrigue one would want first thing in the morning with the first cup of coffee. Good story, thanks for the post.

Practically all the first flyers were cloth covered. It was the Wright way to do it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The guy should have "bear bagged" the plane in a nearby tree . . . anyone who has ever spent time in the backcountry knows that . . . :roll:

ALWAYS BEAR BAG YOUR STUFF !!

(Sarah Palin would have duct taped the bear to a tree, unloaded the plane, caught several salmon, cleaned the salmon, chopped a cord of wood, reloaded the plane and been home by dinner time . . . )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts