Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 3 VTEC cars in the past and now I have another one..( well is my wife's... :D )...so my point is that I installed a CAI on each and every one of these cars and not only noticed an increase in HP but also an increase in gas milage, for example my RSX-S based on the sticker should get between 25- 27 mpg, but after I installed the Injen CAI I show 31.9mpg....go figure .....so does anyone know if the CAI for the Accord would fit on the Element??...
Thanks in advance.... :lol:

·
Registered
894 Posts
OK, I give, what's a CAI?

Iskie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:f3320e5d87="isketerol"]OK, I give, what's a CAI?

Iskie[/quote:f3320e5d87]...

A CAI= cold air intake.....frees the warm air that the engine receives from the engine compartment via a tube that is normally outside the engine bay with a honey comb filter ...therefore the term cold air...which makes the car breather better...here is a sample...the gray tube that has the sticker AEM....good company but Injen I think is better for certain applications...

·
Registered
34 Posts
have you tried to visually test fit the accord intake onto the element? i havent looked into the engine compartment of an accord so i have no idea if it'll fit or not. i'm also not too familiar with these newer K series motors, so i have no idea how the intake piping is routed. But, i do know what the intake pipe in the element looks like.

i wouldnt try to ghetto rig the accord intake into an element. there are other connections (ie - coolant pickup on the TB, one way connectors which will throw CEL's if connected the wrong way or not connected at all) that need to be handled delicately.

as for power and fuel economy, the gains are there due to a number of factors. cooler intake air, less turbulence within an aluminum pipe rather than the rippled oem pipe, and the obvious - more air because you've removed the intake box and the resonator. while this mod may enhance your ownership experience, remember, it might also void your warranty.

while i'm personally against modifying the element for looks to avoid the risk of having this truck look like a civic, i may do a CAI if it were developed. theres no doubt in my mind that car is in need a power infusion to assist it to conquer those steep gradients, and mountain passes. but i will never place an exhaust on this car. i've already seen an element with what looked like a junk n1 style muffler ghetto welded to the stock piping.. one word.. NASTY.

im sure that before the end of the year, we'll see at least one turbocharged element, and at least one hybrid (k20A3 dohc vtec head, mated to the k24 block). but you gotta ask yourself.. was the element made for this? it's like a civic dx automatic with performance modifications.. why??

just my $.02

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote:617f2750a9="bkw"]have you tried to visually test fit the accord intake onto the element? ......
i wouldnt try to ghetto rig the accord intake into an element............ [/quote:617f2750a9]

I have not seen the engine compartment on the Accord...therefore I don't know if the CAI shape would work on my wife's Element..the reason of this post was to see if anyone ...like the ppl on the West Cost that have these shops available just about everywhere could advise if they did try it with parts for an Accord....and NO I would not just attempt to RIG a brand new vehicle, until there is a product that would actually FIT the vehicle..
:roll:

[quote:617f2750a9="bkw"]
... remember, it might also void your warranty [/quote:617f2750a9]

Not true...you can void the warranty if the reason for the malfunction of the vehicle is caused by the MOD you did...but not for just installing it... :wink:

[quote:617f2750a9="bkw"]
..... but you gotta ask yourself.. was the element made for this? it's like a civic dx automatic with performance modifications.. why?? [/quote:617f2750a9]

WOWOWO....remember I mentioned the gas milage increase on my RSX-S somewhere in the thread..... :?: ..automatic?? DX??...my wife's Element EX is a stick and I or she can control the car and just aim it...therefore I believe the CAI would benefit a standard transmission vehicle vs an auto....you got the POWER in your hands to drive the vehicle as the driving conditions permit...

just my $.02.....

Hey does this car with an intake look GHETTO..
(hate that word??..???...didn't think so
Peace

·
Registered
34 Posts
perhaps you should clarify your original post. it seemed to me (and i'm sure to others as well) that you wanted to use the accord intake. adding a simple '...or any other CAI's from any other vehicles' would really help. i was under the impression that you already had the accord cai. :roll:

bring your car to the dealership for service with the CAI on. let's find out if they flag your vehicle in their database. now this part is dealer dependant. you can have a dealership who's totally cool with engine modifications, but most are not.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bkw

..... but you gotta ask yourself.. was the element made for this? it's like a civic dx automatic with performance modifications.. why??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOWOWO....remember I mentioned the gas milage increase on my RSX-S somewhere in the thread..... ..automatic?? DX??...my wife's Element EX is a stick and I or she can control the car and just aim it...therefore I believe the CAI would benefit a standard transmission vehicle vs an auto....you got the POWER in your hands to drive the vehicle as the driving conditions permit...
read my post. i think you'll see that i stated that the CAI would be one mod i would be interested in. as for the portion of my post that you quoted, i was referring to turbo's and engine swaps. ghetto? 20" chromed out wheels, uncessarily loud exhausts, etc.. NO, i do not believe that a CAI could be classified as 'ghetto'.

jeez. i was only trying to help.

:?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:07e0a1f421="bkw"]....perhaps you should clarify your original post. bring your car to the dealership for service with the CAI on. let's find out if they flag your vehicle in their database. now this part is dealer dependant. you can have a dealership who's totally cool with engine modifications, but most are not. [/quote:07e0a1f421]

Oh I have twice since the install of my Injen CAI on my RSX-S for free oil changes and the mechanics say that the cold air intake is the most popular modification and the most effective for horsepower gains and gas milage increase.....no problems there... :D

[quote:07e0a1f421="bkw"]....
jeez. i was only trying to help.

:?[/quote:07e0a1f421]

All well I was just trying to find out if anyone had done this so far....I know I may be one of the ones that likes to make good things better...being 45 years old and having had an interest in cars since I got my driver's license, I've been allways reading on engine modifications for the improvement of my wallet and performance....

So no bad blood....I know as long as the car is smog compliant...and I'm not jeopardizing the lives of my family and or doing things to the engine that would make Honda say.."You did it not us"......I will keep asking....
:D

Like I said...Peace......

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Element's so called target market was the 20 something's who are VERY interested in modding their vehicles. I think the Element mods are will happen eventually.

I'm interested in getting a little more peformance as well. I guess I'll make some calls to the honda mod shops and see what if any items are on the drawing board and if not see why they aren't.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The CAI sounds like one unnecessary mod to me...messing with stuff like that (even if you have the engine cpu to compensate) sounds like flushing years of engineering research down the toilet
just my 2 pesos (.0002 cents)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote:c5f18f35b2="selling_my_subaru"]The CAI sounds like one unnecessary mod to me...messing with stuff like that (even if you have the engine cpu to compensate) sounds like flushing years of engineering research down the toilet
just my 2 pesos (.0002 cents)[/quote:c5f18f35b2]

Well amigo when it comes to engineering, the CAI is an engineering wonder, not sold as a stock option mainly due to the "sound" the engine would make when it hits VTEC, therefore a marketing decision to make the engine quieter, also it doesn't damage anything, cause failures and works fine with your stock chip, but does make your car perform better than stock...read Sport Compact Car magazine and become more familiar with modifications that make your already good vehicle into a much better running machine....

Is not like removing the catalitic converter ...or removing your air filter....both of which are illegal, but some ignorant people do to make their car a better performing ride...
:roll:
Peace

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gwinnett Place Honda offers a riced out Civic and Accord. The install a CAI, Headers, Cat back exhaust, (APC) and various other ricie stuff. Straight from the dealer with full warranty. I used to have a Prelude (97) with the IHE on it. No increase in mileage, virtually nothing on power until the last 200-300 RPM. It sure sounds fast but that was it. Go to a Dyno get some base line numbers, do your mods, then re-dyno. You will probably be surprised. Most I/E/H setups on Honda/Acura WILL LOOSE POWER in the most commonly used RPM ranges and only benefit at the extreme upper RPMs. Marketing Hype vs. the Dyno ......not their own dyno. Honda's design guys are pretty smart beleive it or not.
CAI isn't a design wonder......its a company tryingto make a fast buck on a Ricer market. Read anything other that ins't bought and paid for by the AEM, APC, Greddy etc. Better yet, use you own Dyno. Or talk to the guys at the dyno shop. You will find that any benfit you see isn't testable, repeatable, consistent, of enough to make any noticable difference in the real world. To make real power you will have to do the stuff the WILL void your warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i really did not want to contribute to this post anymore, but after reading your statement on how the CAI will not damage anything, i have something to say.

while this may be a moot point for the Honda Element, the CAI is far from a safe modification. in order to be a true CAI, the filter element must be positioned where it can draw in fresh air. for traditional cai's, historically, the filter element has been placed inside the bumper/fender wells. positioning it here and driving your car through flooded byways (standing water) COULD cause serious damage to your motor. ever hear of the term hydrolock? i know it's rare, but there have been documented cases where the CAI acted as a straw and sucked in water.

like i stated earlier, this may be a moot point for the Element due to its higher ground clearance. I'm just letting everyone else know that for other automobiles, this modification could be a very bad idea..

generally speaking, gains of less than 10HP/10tq are barely noticed. im sure the CAI would make your motor roar like a powerful firebreathing beast, and that you'd be able to feel it on your butt-dyno, but it's just a placebo. there are CAI's on the market that have dyno proven gains, but the gains are so minimal that it's probably not worth the $200+ for the mod.

as for dyno'ing the CAI, i believe that too is a farce. in order to dyno a vehicle, it must be strapped down to the dyno.. the car cannot move, and thus cannot draw in cooler air towards the filter. in order to show any significant gains on a dyno, the CAI would need to somehow be force-fed a lot of air (more than the fan on most dynos can supply). dont even get me started on the effects of ram-air and turbulence.

like Black Elephant said, "To make real power you will have to do the stuff that WILL void your warranty.". right on brother.

If you don't believe that Honda knows what they are doing, look at the S2000. outside of forced induction, there aren't that many modifications that will make power. most will actually lose power! my baseline was at 193hp. after vafc/cai/exhaust/headers my car dynoed at 188hp. after swapping exhausts back to oem and some tuning of the vafc ($300 in dynotime) i made a putrid 208hp (i made more, but reliabilty wouldve been sacrificed). $2000 for all that? definitely not worth it. for $4000 i made 290hp out of the box, but that's was supercharged :).

whatever you choose to do should be totally up to you. who cares what i think, or for that matter, anyone thinks? it's your car, modify it, love it. i'm totally for modifying vehicles - ive been building/racing turbo/nos/sc'd/na hondas and imports for over 15 years. so whatever floats your boat, do it. just please do us all a favor and share your findings with us. education should be a communal thing.

regards,
brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Black Elephant, Ill fully agree with you on the Riced out civic and acc at Gwinnet. Those things are ugly. See, I have a highly modded '01 Civic. We were looking at E out there just to get prices. We ended up test driving one. The guy had saw our Civic and as we were on the test drive the guy started telling us about the civic they had. How they spent all this money and fully redid this thing. I was picturing a full on show car. I was shocked at the "$900" headlights it had. (actually $300 headlights with $600 markup and install) I about fell on the floor laughing. They were asking what like $25K for that. Thas hilarious. Oh well....

I am a Honda tech at Curry Honda here in Atlanta. I have been in too many on these quarrels about warranties and what not. Heres everything in a nut shell. You only void warranty on the item you replaced. Most techs dont care about certain things unless they are dierctly related to problem (ie. Vtec failure with Apexi Vtec controller). If you have a CAI and hydro lock your engine, your screwed. If you have ALL you services done on time, the service manager is likely to Goodwill lots of things right as you get out of your normal warranty. You wont be ""flagged"" unless you have done something major (turbo, supergharger, engine swap). If you make good friends with a tech, he could slide some stuff. I know I have, but its all in good services.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:ed1ebaabf4="Turtle"]If you have ALL you services done on time, the service manager is likely to Goodwill lots of things right as you get out of your normal warranty. You wont be ""flagged"" unless you have done something major (turbo, supergharger, engine swap). If you make good friends with a tech, he could slide some stuff. I know I have, but its all in good services.[/quote:ed1ebaabf4]

You have really hit the subject on the head: Build a relationship with your Honda service department and you won't have BS issues. Familiarity breeds mutual respect.

Not sure about other areas, but I can go to my local Honda dealer and get the oil change stuff done for less than the Quickie Lube places charge, and it isn't done by blithering idiots more interested in the song on the radio than putting the drain plug back in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The chances of a cold air intake causing catastrophic engine failure, are just about as good as me growing a set of breasts.

Unless you take your Element into a lake, you'll be fine. It will not void the warranty. Best bet, run it by your dealer and mention that you were looking for MINOR engine upgrades, and build a rapport.

BTW: What's up HEK? :D I was thinking of approaching Injen or AEM about this, and if I do, I will let you know. One of my suppliers, a new company called Spark Racing, could also possibly make one. If I come up with anything, I will let you know.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote:67455fa3cc="MatT3T4"]The chances of a cold air intake causing catastrophic engine failure, are just about as good as me growing a set of breasts.

Unless you take your Element into a lake, you'll be fine. It will not void the warranty. Best bet, run it by your dealer and mention that you were looking for MINOR engine upgrades, and build a rapport.

BTW: What's up HEK? :D I was thinking of approaching Injen or AEM about this, and if I do, I will let you know. One of my suppliers, a new company called Spark Racing, could also possibly make one. If I come up with anything, I will let you know.[/quote:67455fa3cc]

Hey Mat, what's up?.....I also was thinking of contacting Injen instead of AEM because if the installation is anything like the installation for the RSX...Injen came up with a better solution of providing a windshield washer bottle that fits with the filter on the same location instead of relocating it over on the other side.... :D ...by the looks both engines have the intake manifold in the front instead of the back.... :wink: ..alike my 2000 Si.... :roll:

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's the K-series engine for you.

Matt, call AEM or Injen, or wherever. Get them to make a short ram intake too. I will pay up front the cost for a prototype for my car, I'm ready to start Project Element.

You know me. I can't leave things stock :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Again, I'm not expert but if this $200 gadget really added anything to the performance of this Element engine, I think Honda would either offer it as an option, or install it from the get-go. (Just my opinion). :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
The K series engines seem to be extremely responsive to little modifications like intakes, exhausts, headers, etc... Look at what you can do with the RSX with minor bolt ons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts