Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this past weekend i went to seaside. instead of paying 200 for a room i made a sweet pimp bed in my E.....sorta lol. i just put down a sleeping bad on the floor as cushion (still those indents on the floor with the metal for the chairs kept hurting me lol) and threw down some towels, and had a pillow. and my buddy lives in ortley beach, which is like a minute away from seaside, so every night (if i wasnt wasted) from fri-sun, id drive back and park in front of his house and id pass out in the back. i love the room in it, there was enough room to change, sleep in it, even with this one chick in it :D it was pretty comfortable. but now im more prepared cause im looking for a airbed, and i picked up a 400w black and decker power inverter for 40$. i ****ing love this truck!!! [DEFINETELY BETTER THAN MY OLD MUSTANG:)]....until i get a airbed i call it my poor mans bed or my hippie bed lol

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
We recently did a 9 hour roadtrip toronto-chicago.

We tried to make the seats all flat to make a bed. BIG FAIL.

Our 1st Gen CR-V makes a better bed compared to the Element.

But the Element had more room for the trip and a better ride.

·
Registered
297 Posts
but now im more prepared cause im looking for a airbed, and i picked up a 400w black and decker power inverter for 40$. ....until i get a airbed i call it my poor mans bed or my hippie bed lol
the coleman suv air mattress is the only one i've found that really fits right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the coleman suv air mattress is the only one i've found that really fits right.

Good to know - I'm in the market for one. My ball and chain and I are going to be doing (hopefully) quite a bit of hiking / camping this summer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my aunt has one, its the best one ive seen, fits right and is only $15!!! problem is i cant find it at any toys-r-us and its even sold out on there site lol :-:)-(

·
Registered
96 Posts
o and beeing a NOFX fan you should not call it any thing hippie ;-)

·
Registered
218 Posts
you may wanna try two things, 1) the floor latch covers sold by Ursa Minor, looks great and work great except the carbon fiber can chip easily, and 2) a full-size futon mattress.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a full-size coleman air mattress from Target for something like $30 or $40. It isn't suv specific, but it fits great - I've found with a tight space, just make sure you do the final bit of inflating in the spot where the mattress is goin to stay for the night, because once it's completely filled up - it ain't moving anywhere.

I took a week long trip to OBX last summer & slept in the back. I built the pvc bedframe that was posted on here - excellent plans btw. Everything worked out great, except 1 thing -

How the hell do you keep the bugs out?

Most of the time it's fine, but the mosquito should be the mascot of OBX. I used mosquito netting on the windows, but them little sh!ts just went right thru it, not to mention that I still haven't found a way to bug proof the back. A screen canopy is a great idea, but how do you seal up the bottom, under the tailgate?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Definitely screenz.com for the front windows & they also make a screen for the sunroof. I had to made a screen for the hatch now my next project will be screens for the other doors. Can't find a pic of the front doors but here's my hatch screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gaily -

That is awesome! Thanks for the info & pics.

I will be posting some pics soon. Planning to take the canoe & the ladyfriend ;-) out Red River Gorge next weekend.

Trying to figure out the last bits of really good camping in the E. In my experience thus far, it's been a little bit more work to camp in it than it is to pitch my dome dent. I smashed my head into the ceiling of the car waking up in the middle of the night & trying to sit up straight on a couple occasions. I think I need to reduce the height of the bedframe to a much lower level.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gaily...

Were did you get your bed frame? or did you make it? it looks like it was a factory option... and with the frame can you fit a queen size air bed in there?

Sorry for all the questions... :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Gaily...

Were did you get your bed frame? or did you make it? it looks like it was a factory option... and with the frame can you fit a queen size air bed in there?

Sorry for all the questions... :)
Custom made for what I need & one of the simple versions. Searching will yield other options. Also see Ramberdan web site. He has the deluxe model.

The platform puts you above the wheels but with an 8" mattress you don't have head room. Believe I started with a full size which totally filled the back with the seats all the way forward. Top of the mattress was even or slightly above the window bottom. I'm 5'8" could barely sit up under the moon roof. I prefer the Cabelas 4" deluxe camping pad or 4" self inflating mattress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts