Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does this truck need a roof rack similar to the ford escape? A roof basket, or "playpen" would look alright, but I would love a tubular rack that carries down the back of the truck to hold bikes. Heres hopin that Honda puts out a tougher rack.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The current Honda roof rack in my opinion is primarily for looks and not for heavy duty use. Maybe some third party company will come up with one that is more beefy? Thule? Yakima?

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:847e25df3d="Aykew"]I installed a Thule Tracker II set on my Element... feels like I could stand on them without any trouble! (But I won't!) Check out this thread for installation instructions and photos.[/quote:847e25df3d]

Good job there! I'm just not too sure about leaving the opening like that for stuff (water, dirt, etc.) to get into though. Plus I read from another person that using non-Thule longer bolts could rust? Maybe when they can come up with a boot of some sort to cover that opening, I'll jump in!

I already have the Thule XT Big Mouth bike carrier that I use for my other car. I just can't transfer the roof rack since its for a VW Jetta. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
No rust yet, but if you're concerned you can order the screws from Thule a la carte for a few cents each. I am working on cutting holes out of the original covers so that I can restore the seal up there, but I don't have very good tools... or confidence! :) I hope Thule comes out with the rubber boot soon, though... just in case I mess up!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Honda rack comes with covers for the holes. Thule should provide cover to complete install. (check out Element J's site for pics of the covers)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Xterra rack rocks (I like the alliteration). I figure I'll get use on the existing rack, when I'm lucky enough to finally get my Element delivered, and I'll cahnge it out for esomething better later. Kinda like the skid plates and the bush bar with winch that I expect will be available--someday!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just ordered the Yak CR-V set up, in the hope that it will fit my E. Landing pad 8 with the control tower. I'll cut down my old 58" yak bars, and all should work.

MARCH 25: IT DIDN'T WORK. THE BOOT DOESN'T COVER THE HOLE. I DIDN'T ENVEN TRY TO INSTALL THE HARDWARE AFTER SEEING THE PROBLEM.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The aftermarket racks seems to all have a thick square bar. The Honda rack has a flat bar. I have to say the I prefer the honda bars. I am going to wait a bit to see if Honda comes up with a better rack, but I may end up with this one.
My plan is to put a full size spare in the basket for highway and camping trips. The donut is okay for in town. ( I have an extra rim because when the element was 2 weeks old I hit sewer grate and damage a rim. cosmetic only so kepted it as an extra,)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts