Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I have literally seen ONE element. On the highway, on our way from Kansai airport to the hotel.

I've been walking around Kobe, Osaka and Kyoto for 2 weeks now and haven't seen ANY Elements! What gives?!?!? :|

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't make sense, because I've seen about a dozen Hummers, a handfull of Jeeps, a couple full size Astro Vans, and the occasional Aston Martin. Hell, I even saw a Suburban at the aquarium parking lot today here in Osaka.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Doesn't make sense, because I've seen about a dozen Hummers, a handfull of Jeeps, a couple full size Astro Vans, and the occasional Aston Martin. Hell, I even saw a Suburban at the aquarium parking lot today here in Osaka.
Yes but they don't say "HONDA" on them.:roll:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. Dealerships over here are weird. Unless you're driving a car that's been out for a couple of year, parts are pretty much all on a "we have to order this" basis.

And at least the tow I went to gave me a deer in headlights look when I had my wife translate to them that I was looking for something for an element. Almost like they didn't believe her.

So I gave up on bringing back a box of right hand side door lock plates and JDM gas tank lids.

·
Registered
861 Posts
When I was in Japan about 6 years ago, gas was at ~$9 a gallon... Those high-end cars you are seeing is does not necessarily represent Japan as a population (when I drove through different cities, I'd see tons of $150,000 cars parked outside next to a little apartment... People liked their sport cars, etc).

I was on a man-made island full of very wealthy individuals who would go as far as to even import cars from the US for the "cool factor" and to compete against one another even though it makes their life more difficult (i.e. since the driver side is opposite, they always had to get out of their car for every little thing... like paying for a parking pass to park in a lot downtown...)

These were MOMs importing getting new cars every month to compete against other wealthy families... so they can be seen in the cars while dropping their children off at school....! Suffice to say my experience in Japan was very interesting.

Most struggling working class I met preferred smaller, efficient subcompacts or sedans (but they don't always rely on them because they have a great train system...). I was always surprised how they designed these cars differently than American cars, because they were always very low revving. I sat in a few and rarely saw them go over 3k RPM while zipping through the city, but I can't say that's true for all of their sedans. This must be attributed to their effort to squeeze efficiency out of their overly priced gasoline.

Japan is a very different country... In the parts in live (as long as I was close within the city), I went out and brought fresh groceries almost every day. I didn't need to haul stuff home from Ikea. I never needed a big truck or vehicle... I did most of my traveling via bus and train, and if possible, I tried to hitch a ride with the people who I lived with. I even road my bicycle a lot to the grocery store.

I love the E in America... but I can't say I would own it in Japan. It would tear a whole through my pocket trying to pay for gas... and it wouldn't be as "useful" as a vehicle...

P.S. Another interesting thing is that Japan has stringent rules about automobiles. They recycle them fairly often, so you see (mostly) new or new-ish cars on the road. Since they are improving technology and getting more and more efficient cars, they essential force the population to retire the cars in order to reduce pollution and waste on a big scale. One of the families I stayed with told me that she doesn't usually own a brand new car for more than 60k... She wasn't well-to-do or anything, it was just because of their regulations there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts