Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new old guy seeking info. and yes I searched and read many posts before creating this one. I'm interested in some of the easiest and least expensive ways to make substantial horsepower & torque improvements to my Element. It's a 2005 2WD Automatic, yes I'm aware of the negative aspects of the automatic but the manual is not an option for me personally.

What I'm wanting to know is which intake, fuel system, ignition, exhaust & computer upgrades actually increase horsepower & torque rather than simply raise the decibel level? I think Acura uses this engine but the horsepower & torque numbers are much more respectable. What is different about the Acura engine? Internals like piston, cam & valve variations or are they simply external differences? Intake, exhaust, air & fuel etc.

I'm old & disabled, not wanting to make a noisy bumble bee but would love to have the ability to safely tow 2,000 lb. over the Rockies.
One more thing, due to my physical condition I can't even even see under the hood very well. Does my Element have a separate transmission fluid cooler? Engine oil cooler?

Thank you,
Michael C.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
easiest way to get more power ... Nitrous.

Honda put a similar engine in the Accord, TSX, Odyssey and CRV, but I dont think HP was much more except in the TSX.

K24A2
Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
Power: 200 PS (150 kW; 200 hp) @ 6800 rpm
Torque: 232 N·m (171 lb·ft) @ 4500 rpm

Reasons for increased HP and Torque

Increased intake flow:
* Intake valve + 1 mm oversize
* Intake cam High lift lobe with 0.9 mm more lift and 12 degrees more duration
* Throttle body increased from 60-64mm
* Radius on some intake pipes increased from 70-80mm

Increased exhaust flow
* Exhaust Head pipe increased frm 60-65mm
* Higher flow catalytic converter
* Main (single) exhaust pipe increased from 54-57mm
* Rear (twin) pipes increased in diameter from 42.5 to 45mm

Block improvements:
* Additional air passages in crankcase for reduced pumping losses

Other
* Stronger conrods
* New crankshaft with more counterbalance weight
* Revised pistons with more valve-piston clearance

I personally didn't see a difference in performance with my intake and exhaust in my Integra (that has a B18C5 engine). Turbo is best bang for buck or Nitrous (but risky if not done correctly)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
All of the above will work to some extent. However I still think the best option is the four twentiysix Hemi option. There is no way to get more bang for the buck.:-D

Welcome to the club Michael ! I think you will find this forum to be an Invaluable tool. It holds the best information on the element that can be had at any price! ( Well ,, with the exception of my stupid post )

There are several that have done the Turbo charging/chip upgrade. It's a lot of work, and you need to have a reasonable amount of expertise with engines and related systems. Not for the faint of hart.

Dom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Welcome to the fray Prowrench!
Nice to see another successful side access conversion. How do you like it?
I don't think the guys suggesting wet nitrous read the part about pulling 2000 lbs through the Rockies!
I would be willing to bet that for the same amount of time and money involved in swapping heads, internals and a turbo you could swap in a V6 from a donor Oddy, Accord or Pilot and not have to worry about engine damage at higher elevations. I know the Element D has a V6 but not sure what it is and it is set up for rear drive only. It would be a lot easier for you since you want to keep the transverse front drive configuration.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It was another one of my poor joke attempts. :-D I do like Doms idea of stuffing a big block Hemi in it, though. :lol:
It would be cool to see a nitrous Element climb Pikes Peak though.:razz:

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone, even the ones high on nitrous lol.. It certainly has it's place but not the best option for a guy like me.
Thanks Bert for the technical answer that certainly explains the differences between the Element & Acura engines of the same displacement. I did not know there were so many upgrades to the Acura engines..
Bryon, do you have the ramp on yours as well? I have the half-cut version and really love it so far, only had it a few weeks but I can't imagine getting rid of it. I have a giant E-250 and a Grand Caravan both with lowered floors and I think they will both be for sale soon. If I could get it to tow a ton reliably I could easily live with it as my only vehicle.
I really like the idea of a V6 in the Element, can the V6 engine fit under the hood? I would like to learn more about the RWD D model you mentioned. got a link?

Thanks again everyone,
PW

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone, even the ones high on nitrous lol.. It certainly has it's place but not the best option for a guy like me.
Thanks again everyone,
PW
My safety tip of the day:

Anyone planning on huffing racing nitrous, don't. It isn't the good stuff like the dentist have. This stuff has sulfur in it and will mess you up for good.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Try this thread !

Dom

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yeah, this board and every other car board are full of people who want to know what they can bolt on to their engines to get more hp. The air intakes and exhaust mods are the most popular. They always increase noise and people will say their butt dyno tells them that they have more power. A graph will follow showing more power at 8 to 9000 rpm's. So now you have more noise and power at high rpm's. You will need to run the piss out of your engine to achieve this new power. If you want effortless power just buy a truck with the big engine and you can pull a house up a mountain.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you want effortless power just buy a truck with the big engine and you can pull a house up a mountain.
If you noticed the pic in the OP you would see that buying a truck with a big engine is not a viable option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts