Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew it was coming. Yesterday I had a rough start and today the battery finally died on my 2007 LX. Luckily my wife was home and able to give me a ride to work.

I have looked at the many threads about batteries but got a little tired of all the arguing about Optima, Intersate, etc.

What would you suggest? My main concern is I live in Las Vegas with temps of 110+ in the summer and at times below freezing in the winter. My AC is on full blast all summer long so I need a quality product. The stock battery has been below my expectations but I know this is the norm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had good luck with AGM (Glass Mat) batteries.
Good part is they seem to last in the heat.
Bad part is they are very slow to charge (they only take like 1.5 to 2 amps anythink more just turns to heat), so if all you do is short drives it will wear down eventually. A drive out to Primm for lotto tickets once a month keeps my Miata's AGM chraged up.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Most batterys will do good in the heat but you have to remember to check the battery water and fill as needed as it will dry out quicker. Did a lot of work in the Palm desert area and found a lot of batterys empty.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Some time ago I found that Sears listed two different premium batteries, one for cold climates, the other for hot. With cold you are most concerned with the cold cranking amps - power when cold. With hot I think loss of fluid is a greater concern.

I suspect your best bet is to talk with local retailers, especially ones who are sensitive to customer returns.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duralast

I think I am going to go with Duralast as most seem to have good luck with that and not many complaints. Sears has some good batteries but they are overprice in my opinion. I will let everyone know how things turn out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most batterys will do good in the heat but you have to remember to check the battery water and fill as needed as it will dry out quicker. Did a lot of work in the Palm desert area and found a lot of batterys empty.
Here in Vegas a 7 year sealed battery lasts about 3 years. If you get 4 you brag about it to your friends.
Moved here from CA 7 years ago and couldn't believe how fast batteries died.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts