Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
Don't know if this the best deal out there, but I just bought a U-Haul Hitch on ebay for $110 shipped. Here's the link to the seller's listing. When I bought it, the seller was giving a 5% discount. I assume anyone can get the 5% off if they ask, but it was part of the pricing when I looked at it (though it's not there now). Search for "thegdhaskinscompany" and the seller should come up.

As for the wiring... I should note that I have a 2003 Element so I'm free to order the after market stuff. I found what I think is a good deal on AutoAnything.com for the Draw-Tite wiring harness at $20.95.

I'll post again after I receive everything to let you guys know if everything arrives in good order. Anyway, thought I would share in case anyone is looking for a good deal.

I think I'll buy the draw bar and ball direct from U-Haul since the first use of this hitch will be to tow a U-Haul Trailer from Illinois to Utah.

--sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to post that I have received the wiring kit from AutoAnything.com today. It was sent via FedEx and I was given a tracking number.

Will post again when I receive the hitch from ebay.

--sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent a note to thegdhaskinscompany yesterday to get a tracking number. Received a reply today with the fedex number for my shipment today. The item was actually shipped a few days ago, but they just never sent me a tracking number.

Anyway, something to think about when ordering through this ebay company... you may need to ask for a tracking number if that is important to you.

--sam

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Is the wiring kit from AutoAnything a splice-in kit? The consensus around here is mostly to stay the hell away from those and go with a factory wiring kit, expensive as it may be.
I'm not sure what the '03 uses for the factory wiring but most of the Honda wiring kits have been duplicated and can be had on Ebay and elsewhere for a fraction of the Honda cost. The kit for my '08 cost under $40 and it seems like I remember Honda wanting over triple that. I had the chance to visually compare both kits and they looked identical, right down to the mold marks on the plastic.

The only ones you don't see listed regularly are for the 05-06 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the same type of kit you can get from several online sellers for the '03 and '04 model years. On the package I see the following...

Tow Ready
T-One Connector
Easy Do-It-Yourself Trailer Wiring
www.towready.com

It's apparently by the same company that manufactures Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese.

--sam

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
It is the same type of kit you can get from several online sellers for the '03 and '04 model years. On the package I see the following...

Tow Ready
T-One Connector
Easy Do-It-Yourself Trailer Wiring
www.towready.com

It's apparently by the same company that manufactures Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese.

--sam
Interesting, hadn't run into one of those before. From what I can see after reading the directions for both it looks like it's more or less just like the factory one. I'd have to see both in person. Just wanted to make sure you're getting good parts for your baby :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update. The Hitch came in two days ago while I was out of town.

A bit of metal was poking out of the box. I'm not sure that this would be avoidable when shipping an oddly shaped metal object via Ground shipping. That said, it would have, of course, been nicer without a bit of metal poking out. I'll see if it makes any difference during the install.

All in all, however, everything has been good. I've received my stuff and things appear to be in good order. I hope my experience helps someone out there get a good deal.

--sam

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, don't have pictures of the wiring installation process. I can describe the process though. The instructions could have been better, but pictures were included and that definitely helped.

*Removed the spare tire floor cover
*Removed the spring loaded tailgate cover
*Removed some screws from the passenger side panels
*Removed the plastic rivets that anchor the panels to the floor
*Peeled back the panels as best I could
*Reached in snapped the connector on
*Tried to place the black box as best I could
*Pulled excess wire into the spare tire well
*Closed the panels, replaced screws and rivets
*Replaced everything else

When I'm not using it, the wire will hide in the spare tire well.

The hitch is also on there now. While the box it came in clearly said "Valley" on the side, the hitch itself has the U-Haul sticker on it. I thought about removing the sticker, but it doesn't really bother me... and besides you can only see it if you're bending down to look at it.

Anyway. I hope this thread helps some folks that are looking for a bargain.

Next week the whole rig will get its big test as I take a U-Haul trailer from Illinois to Utah.

--sam

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick update. The Hitch came in two days ago while I was out of town.

A bit of metal was poking out of the box. I'm not sure that this would be avoidable when shipping an oddly shaped metal object via Ground shipping. That said, it would have, of course, been nicer without a bit of metal poking out. I'll see if it makes any difference during the install.

All in all, however, everything has been good. I've received my stuff and things appear to be in good order. I hope my experience helps someone out there get a good deal.

--sam
I had to send back a Valley hitch I ordered from Amazon. It came loose with the shipping info zip tied to it. I thought that was poor way to ship it and it was missing the hardware so I sent it back. The replacement came the same way with the hardware stuffed into the receiver so I figured that the way it is and installed it.
Happy so far.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Somewhere I have seen one of these. We don't have a Northern Tool around here so it must have been a hardware or auto supply store.
I got one!! wallmart I think,probly harborfreight also.waight!! I just asked my wife she's a know it all.well she is the store manager of my local west marine store and she said I got it from her.they keep them in stock& they are nation wide chain(not franchise). hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't see your responses until after I went to Uhaul. Good news... the wiring harness performed just fine. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the info... and I now feel like a got a very good deal on my stuff. :)

--sam

·
Registered
207 Posts
T one Connector and Hitch Drop Size

I didn't see your responses until after I went to Uhaul. Good news... the wiring harness performed just fine. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the info... and I now feel like a got a very good deal on my stuff. :)

--sam
I just ordered one myself and look forward to the install. The T One Connector looks like it will do the job.

One question...What drop size on the hitch do you guys use. I have not installed my unit yet but I know I will have to buy the ball and hitch and notice that there are all kinds of size drops out there. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts