Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a 2006 Element with the upgrade stereo package. I believe it is 7 speakers including the sub. I recently wanted to upgrade the deck to a touch screen 7"ish screen. Possibly with the hand controls and rear view back up cam. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to buy? Greatly appreciate the responses! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
probably have better luck posting/looking in the mobile electronics section. you're also probably going to get a ton of different replies. i'd look at pioneer or kenwood

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 for Pioneer or Kenwood. Beyond that, it's a matter of how much money you want to spend for various features. Every little thing you want to add will likely be an upcharge.

There have been several discussions on head units (including some recent ones). Try doing a search to find those discussions. Also, check out Crutchfield. There are some good reviews of head units that you'll probably find helpful.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Lindyman93,
I have a 2006 LX 4WD AT and just installed a Pioneer AVH-280BT w/6.2" touch screen. I only have 4 speakers.

I installed a backup camera and a microphone for the bluetooth cell phone hands free feature.

I was sold an adapter for a powered antenna and apparently the LX may not have a powered antenna. So there is no place to install the adapter. The OE radio had the same Motorola plug as the Pioneer, so I just plugged it in to the existing antenna wire which also had a Motorola plug.

Results: The backup camera works to perfection. The CD/DVD player works to perfection. The USB Source for music works to perfection. The hands free bluetooth cell phone works to perfection. FM reception is crystal clear. Just one problem...no AM reception.

I was told, by Crutchfield, I would need an aftermarket powered antenna. So I'm waiting on that. Since you have the EX, I doubt you will experience that problem.

Over all, I love this thing. There are numerous RCA plugs on the back should you need them, but all my speakers wired directly into the Pioneer to Honda adapter. It has a built in graphic equalizer with built in settings as well as provisions for 2 Custom settings (which I took advantage of). I do not know what the top of the volume scale is, because I can't stand it above 8. Even with my factory speakers it sounds wonderful.

If you are more particular about sound quality, I would urge you to go to several places and have them demonstrate the different brands and models until you find the right one just for you.

p.s. by the way, this radio accommodates an adapter for your steering wheel controls. It is, of course sold separately.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Hi Lindyman93,

With the competitive nature of mobile electronics these days, the bar for quality/reliable function is pretty consistent across the board for the major brands, so it'll come down to finding a head unit that meets your budget while pleasing with aesthetics and features. These days, having a video input for a back-up camera is pretty standard. The features that will vary from one model to another include but are not limited to the amplifier pre-out voltage, technology used for the touch screen, interface method with devices, and so on.

The choice of head unit and its features will also depend on what you're looking for long-term with your audio set-up. For instance, if happy with the factory speakers and just wanting to upgrade the unit so you have touch screen access with a back-up camera, having 4V amplifier pre-outs for your front/rear/sub may not be a priority. This may seem like a trivial detail, but upon a closer look, you may find there to be a noticeable price difference between units that feature just a 2V pre-out vs. the 4 V. The higher voltage is of interest to those wishing to send aftermarket amps with as clear a signal from the head unit prior to amplification.

For my set-up, I've gone with a JVC KW-30BT (installed in 2014), and am happy with its performance. It's since been replaced with other models albeit with the same features. I especially appreciate the graphic EQ.

Not sure to what degree admins allow brand-dropping, but to help you comparison shop, review from Amazon, Crutchfield and YouTube (Lessco electronics has been handy) would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts