Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
what have you done to your element for mods power-wise?
the automatic can cause some limitations head wise.. what can you do that doesnt cost much money?

·
12,180 Posts
i am finding that it is limited because of the AT

Your limitation begins with the fact you are driving an Element. The auto trans handicap is just an added benefit. The after market is limited for te E period. Many have learned to adapt products from other Honda's with similar engines.

is there anything else you can do as far as heads?
There is the K20 head swap.....But i think you may need k-pro for that...And again it is not for AT vehicles.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54022

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you look at the header thread in the group buy section? We're looking for a few good men (and women). http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61401

Headers are very good at building power across the range, not just at the high rpms like other modifications. And they can improve gas mileage, too. "See honey, we'll be saving money."

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so still limited...

is there anything like a Underdrive Pulley System?

what is the average power to get with these mods?
what is a rrb intake manifold worth?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
so still limited...

is there anything like a Underdrive Pulley System?

what is the average power to get with these mods?
what is a rrb intake manifold worth?

Under drive systems work well in a warm weather areas. I areas with colder weather, not so well. That stems from the battery size/charging system limitations. People with a long daily commute can getaway with it, if they travel one direction with the headlights off. For those of us that need the lights on, the heater/defroster running, radio, it does NOT work! It's a choice of Having a few % more power, or no power at all.

Dom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for clarifying that. that wont work for me as i will have accessory lights and a sound system

·
Registered
873 Posts
so whats the defrence between the K heads? how many valves does this thing have any way? and what does the auto trans have to do with the head??? if you make the head work better that dosen't affect the trans. I have done hundrads of performance & race heads,have logged hundrads of hours on a flow bench. but other than honda bikes & not to many of those I havent done any honda car stuff.so I'm lost untill I get one in my hands. I guess I could find a used one do it up right & swap it out. I know nothing about the desigin of this engine other than it has a timing chain,it's a few cc's biger than my bug moter(2332) and makes less power. it does run good for what it's in but should and could be better.

·
12,180 Posts
so whats the defrence between the K heads? how many valves does this thing have any way? and what does the auto trans have to do with the head??? if you make the head work better that dosen't affect the trans. I have done hundrads of performance & race heads,have logged hundrads of hours on a flow bench. but other than honda bikes & not to many of those I havent done any honda car stuff.so I'm lost untill I get one in my hands. I guess I could find a used one do it up right & swap it out. I know nothing about the desigin of this engine other than it has a timing chain,it's a few cc's biger than my bug moter(2332) and makes less power. it does run good for what it's in but should and could be better.

From the research i have done the reasons you cannot do a K20 head swap on an AT E are the following:

THe K20A head uses true v-tec and uses a different engine management system.

To get the E's ECU to work with the K20A v-tec you need k-pro.

K-pro only works with manual tranny ECU's.

Some one feel free to stop in and correct me or tell me i am full of ****.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*sniff sniff*
You guys smell that??? SMELLS LIKE Bull!

JOKING LIZZURD. Not you, im talking to honda, something soo easy they have to make it soo difficult.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You are not full of s-word... That used to be the case, but people in both the accord and rsx crowds have made it work using a dual ecu setup that has the factory one running the transmission and accessories like AC and the like, and then the k-pro is only hooked to the motor. It is the same principle that I am using to have k pro on my 08. You will have to retain your speed limiter if you would like to have a speedometer. Or I'm fairly sure that will be the case for you since mine is that way, but am not positive as the tb closes for my speed limiter. How does the older E's speed limiter function(i.e. does it close the TB like the later ones?)

·
Registered
873 Posts
what all is being managed on both systems? what is the defrence in the heads,why does it need a defrent management system.whats a k pro? what head does the accord 2.4 have?does it have "hotter" cams? inquireing minds dont know.gess Ill do some checken, bbq checken is always good :grin:

·
Registered
751 Posts
You are not full of s-word... That used to be the case, but people in both the accord and rsx crowds have made it work using a dual ecu setup that has the factory one running the transmission and accessories like AC and the like, and then the k-pro is only hooked to the motor. It is the same principle that I am using to have k pro on my 08. You will have to retain your speed limiter if you would like to have a speedometer. Or I'm fairly sure that will be the case for you since mine is that way, but am not positive as the tb closes for my speed limiter. How does the older E's speed limiter function(i.e. does it close the TB like the later ones?)
I think that's news here... Especially for those of us that do not follow or keep up with engine mods.

To address some other computer related questions. I'm 98% positive Honda moved the '07 Element over to a CAN system. That's why all the stereo people can't find a VSS wire on the '07 and up Es.

As you stated, the reason you need the dual computers is to handle the shifting. Since this dual computer thing is new to most of us, let us know how well it works or doesn't.

If you can't do the dual computer thing above, look for RollerToaster's turbo install thread and find out what he did for ecu management b/c that's an AT E he's got.

·
12,180 Posts
*sniff sniff*
You guys smell that??? SMELLS LIKE Bull!

JOKING LIZZURD. Not you, im talking to honda, something soo easy they have to make it soo difficult.

Honda could have made it really easy.

Take the 190 HP motor from the Accord as a base and add a 6-speed. The extra 24 hp makes a big difference. Even with the AT my Accord is not too shabby off the line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts