Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have it, an E specific Gobi Rack http://gobiracks.com. This thing is awesome. It gives 3 bars for mounting to plus the light bar. That means you can easily throw 4 bikes up there PLUS skis. There's a fairing across the front that looks great! Each rack space has a mesh floor and according to Gobi has been tested to over a 600lbs. You can mount jacks and shovels and axes...

Sorry I have no pics yet, snow came today and threw me off. Will put up tomorrow or friday.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
there isn't even a honda section on that link

and if so, how do they mount the rack? the mounting points that are stock are not strong enough for 600lbs

don't ask how i know...

·
Registered
717 Posts
there isn't even a honda section on that link

and if so, how do they mount the rack? the mounting points that are stock are not strong enough for 600lbs

don't ask how i know...
Oh. Did I forget to say that you need a different vehicle for the rack? :-D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Any idea what the cost will be??

I know the FJ rack costs in the neighborhood of $1500 + shipping.

That's a lot of clams. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh, and don't get me wrong. I love the Gobi rack and I think it is awesome that you did the foot work to get one for our application.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Because they cost like $1500 ! And you can put a Scion Xb on your roof ~! :razz::-o

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
this is what it would look like ! Another over priced Yakima rack looking thing, with a sticker that says gobi :lol:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Why it will not take a picture ????? Oh there it is ! :twisted:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Yes, it is photoshop, who would pay $1500 for a rack? Yakima Loadwarrior doesn't even cost that much and is about the same desing, I was out looking at the Gobi, and took the one off the jeep and put on the Element, I guess you need to pay like $1000 for the name Gobi. Also, I don't think you can put 600 pounds on top of the Element, without the sides pulling away from the roof !

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMO, for $290 the Surco rack fits the Element very well. I went ahead and took off the rack for now, and the crossbars function as a stand-alone roof rack. The Thule 872 fairing even fits the crossbars with some minor modification of the mounting bolts with a Dremel.

I do like the look and design of the Gobi rack, but too pricey IMO considering the alternatives.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Yes, it is photoshop, who would pay $1500 for a rack? Yakima Loadwarrior doesn't even cost that much and is about the same desing, I was out looking at the Gobi, and took the one off the jeep and put on the Element, I guess you need to pay like $1000 for the name Gobi. Also, I don't think you can put 600 pounds on top of the Element, without the sides pulling away from the roof !
As to your comment about the Element roof not being able to support 600 pounds. That just isn't the case. Officially Honda might state for legal reasons that the roof can't support much more than 150 pounds or whatever is in the owners manual... but in reality the Element can actually support it's own weight if you were to flip it upside down onto it's roof. Most if not all vehicles can support their own weight.

People have posted pictures standing on their roof racks, some have posted putting well over 600 pounds onto their roof. Check the UrsaMinor Camper, it alone weighs over 150 pounds and 2 adults can sleep on the roof. That would put the weight supported above 600.

While the physical roof would buckle the structure can support quite a bit of weight if evenly distributed and balanced.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! There has been a lot of activity on here since I posted. Well I have Pics and they are much better than the PS job. Nice though!

Some notes:
All american vehicles can support their own weight upside down. Although this rack can support 600lbs if not more, you should never drive with that much weight throwing off your center of gravity. It's more about being able to get up there, walk around and hand your bike/kayak/canoe/lumber/ladder down to someone.

Pics aren't great, it snowed and that always makes for a very dirty E!

I have a cargo net up there, that's the 5 "loops" going down the side. I'll take a pic without the net when it warms up. There's a space for 4 PIAA lights on the front above the fairing. By the way, no wind noise.

Conforms great to the Es "curves"

The mount is heavy duty, it has thick steel attached to the E and serves as a cover; the rack attaches to this.

Lots of storage space, now you can see the cargo rack a little better. The bars are 1-1/8th", or the same size as yakima, so all yak stuff goes on. I have 3 yak bike rack that fit great. Oh yeah, you can mount yak stuff to the two center bars and with a small adapter the far back bar, too.

The rear mount is not really a mount. It attaches with DS tape. It is there to prevent the back from creating noise while driving. The rack is strong enough from the 2 factory points. This is a no drilling installation and can come off easily.

Also note that the expanded metal area above the sunroof comes completely off for removing the sunroof. The rack itself gives enough clearance to open the sunroof normally. XM still works, too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
jmstech, that's a nice rack you've got there!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
price notwithstanding, very nice rack.
Price is not that bad when you start to compare.

On the orsdirect.com site the Yakima kit with 58" bars, towers, landing pads, fairing and a mega warrior comes out to $726.

That setup will not fit in my garage, it stands really high and looks like it doesn't belong. It is also half the square inches of hauling space.

I goofed around with the Surco, loadwarrior and mega warrior, but none of those really look great and the overall height is so high it really isn't functional. Once you add 5" for the bars and 5" for the rack try throwing a ladder up there and bungee it down. I had to use another ladder.

For the $$ I get something that actually looks like it should be there. This rack puts the E in the class of the FJ and Pathfinder.

This thing is functional, too. Earlier this week I hauled 4 - 26" HDTVs still in box and a 6' ladder up there with no worry.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts