Honda Element Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I like your rack TPS Lizard. That is actually what I was looking for when I went searching for a large rack.

Don't get me wrong I love my Gobi rack, but I may have never called them if you were offering yours 6 months ago. Luckily, now we have choices :)

Have you considered throwing a fairing on there?

·
Registered
200 Posts
tube roof rack

I have been messing with this rack almost a year. Proto types are expensive, I am thinking on fairing, but nothing done yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Next somebody has to come up with a decent idea for a step/ladder to REACH these nice racks :D Those things either yak or thule have that slip over the rear tire are useless 'cause the rack is so far forward and the tire is set way back on an E. I was thinking something with two post w/a bend in it and a rubber foot on the base sticking up so you could slip it between the side steps & the frame without marring your paint. Then it needs a non slip step for wet feet for loading ski's boats, and for muddy bike shoes...hmmmmm. Too bad I'm a number cruncher not a designer or engineer :lol:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Next somebody has to come up with a decent idea for a step/ladder to REACH these nice racks :D Those things either yak or thule have that slip over the rear tire are useless 'cause the rack is so far forward and the tire is set way back on an E. I was thinking something with two post w/a bend in it and a rubber foot on the base sticking up so you could slip it between the side steps & the frame without marring your paint. Then it needs a non slip step for wet feet for loading ski's boats, and for muddy bike shoes...hmmmmm. Too bad I'm a number cruncher not a designer or engineer :lol:
I've seen those for Hummers and other SUV's but you'd need a connecting point at the base or top with a release mechanism so you could open the rear clamshell doors.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well I'm no engineer type so the lingo must be bad. I meant something to be used on the side not rear. Something you could let friction/gravity hold in place by slipping it over the top of the side steps but it had a foot that rested on the underside of the vehicle facing up. Basically the side step would bear your body weight. I was thinking two pipes bent in an L with a foot on each end facing up. One to rest on the under carriage, one for you to step on.

Edit: My line of thinking was, there's nothing between the front/rear tires to rest a step on except if you have the side steps, which I don't, but it was an idea...maybe a bad one :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not to be dismissive on your ideas tkobrian, for me to load things up on the Surco, it's enough for me to open the side doors and step on the door sills, or to load from the rear it's enough for me to lower the rear tailgate then close the rear hatch. YMMV though!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not to be dismissive on your ideas tkobrian, for me to load things up on the Surco, it's enough for me to open the side doors and step on the door sills, or to load from the rear it's enough for me to lower the rear tailgate then close the rear hatch. YMMV though!
Well maybe that works for you, go with it.

I'd suggest you try that in the rain, or when you're in a muddy parking lot. In ideal conditions I can think of lots of solutions. I'm not a fair weather outdoorsman so I need some different solutions some times. It's also not too polite to keep opening/closing doors in the middle of the night at a crowded campground. It'd be nice to have something besides that slicka$$ bumper to stand on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're not going to find a better place to load from the rear than the tailgate. Good luck finding a solution from the sides though.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use one of these to load bikes & boards on my Yak HighRollers and FatCat4...

It's a Rubbermaid step stool (bought mine at Lowe's, but they are available anywhere ~$20). It's a burly, solid design that handles uneven/slippery terrain with no problems. It doesn't exactly fold super flat, but I fold it and just bungee it to the back of one of the rear seats (which I do not normally stow/remove). Works perfect for me - just what I was looking for! Plus, it hoses off nice when it gets too dirty. I haven't found a need thus far to put grip tape on the steps, but I would think that it would stick just fine to the plastic if needed...

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
hydro loads for me! i have the exact same stool, and it works great both for loading bikes/luggage, as well as for washing the roof!

and you don't need grip strips on my model, it has a textured surface on the step tops.

when i need to get up top for strapping, i use the ladder to step onto the window sill (rolled down, of course), then the bars to pull myself up on the rack/roof

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I like that the Gobi goes all the way back. I drop the tailgate then close the hatch, that gives full access to the rear. I currently keep a toolbox and cooler back there with the ladders up front. I just opened both doors to get access at the sides.

·
Registered
510 Posts
TPS Lizard

Your rack... i dig it Will it fit the 04' model?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Attachment Idea for TPS Lizard's rack

TPS Lizard:
If the horizontal cross bars were the same diameter as Yakima bars and spaced the correct distance apart (and you might need to make the rack a few inches wider) you could delete your feet and just use Yakima Control Towers and Landing Pads. It would add some money, but the quick on/off convenience would be great. You get the close fitting integrated look with Yakima convenience. It's a great looking rack, but I wanted to throw the idea out there.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I've got one of these....

It works great.
I've got a two step model as well in case I need the extra height.

Picked them up at Walmart. Both are extremely strong.
The smaller one was less than ten bucks and they fold up flat enough to fit almost anywhere.

·
Registered
200 Posts
will it fit?

Your rack... i dig it Will it fit the 04' model?
I see no reason why not.. I am not aware of any body change on the Elements 04 -07 with the possible exception of the SC roof has a new look.

I am working on a fairing should be complete first weel of the new year, test fairings are so quiet you can tell if the rack is up there. The prototype is ABS plastic with a texture like factory Honda plastics. E mail me & I'll send you pics a plenty.

41 - 60 of 205 Posts