Honda Element Owners Club banner
121 - 140 of 206 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
load warrior refresh

Danceman, It will look great after a new powder coat, the challange will be getting it prepared for powder coating. Take it to a coater first, they may be able to scuff it spray it, and bake it as is. The challange will be if it needs to be blasted clean of old finish due to pitting or chipping of the old finish. Cost to sand blast sometimes is greater than powder coat job.

· Registered
200 Posts
powder coat

It's kinda like Henry Ford said "Any color as long as it is Black"

I have years of powder coating lessons, the guys in that trade range from novice using moms old oven all the way to; high tech, full tilt conveyed ovens. The best can make aluminum look like almost any finish you like, however the price of really cool and custom high quality, one of a kind work...is off the charts, I'm talking 'bout black @ $75 and the shop I contract with is nailing that black look.

From earlier post I think you stated canoe or kayak and salt air/water, take this free advice get it in black it is stable, sturdy, and small future knicks from loading etc. can be touched up with marker. The seal on the welds with Black or basic gloss finish is superior to lots of combinations and multi layered treatments. If You need that OE color, order it raw and have it painted and clear coated near your place, of course I want a picture if you go that way.

let me know what you want, love to sell 'em. I can't believe every E doesn't need one.

Cheers
Mike

· Registered
818 Posts
Nicks can be touched up with marker!

I'll second the "black is best" observation. I've used a Sharpie Laundry Marker on a few nicks and can not now find where they are. I would however like a GGM teardrop like Hiker Chicks.

· Registered
200 Posts
Questions of late

I have been ask about the folding rear section on my rack, to date mine is the only one built with that folding rear bar option. To put it in simple terms no one else ever needed that option. The basic rack will not effect opening the glass roof panel on an EX AWD Element. The only reason to have the hinge is to remove the glass panel completly from the roof, which some folks like to do. I also have "look at me" LED lights on my roof rack, I'll tell you what to buy ,but you get out the soldering iron and enjoy yuoeself. For the record My E is 2wd no sun roof. Cheers.

· Registered
38 Posts
This is the rack I made four years ago to put my Maggiolina Extreme roof top tent on. Made of aluminum with triangulated bracing, overkill gussets, and front end tabs to mount a Thule windscreen on. Black powder coated finish.

Since the mounting points on the E are close together you can see how I brought the bracing back to the suporting stantions. The front is also higher than the rear so that the tent sits parallel to the ground.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13777&d=1142133344

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13778&d=1142133344

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9415&d=1130859325

Mine is wide enough so that the tent's ladder hooks on the sides.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9419&d=1130860906

My wife and I have slept many a night up there over the years. It is wonderful sleeping in up there.

Its nice to see a product that is superior to any aftermarket bars being offered to folks in TPS Lizard's racks. With all four mounting points tied together I'm sure his is rock solid.

Bravo,
Jon

-

· Registered
1,510 Posts
This is the rack I made four years ago to put my Maggiolina Extreme roof top tent on. Made of aluminum with triangulated bracing, overkill gussets, and front end tabs to mount a Thule windscreen on. Black powder coated finish.

Since the mounting points on the E are close together you can see how I brought the bracing back to the suporting stantions. The front is also higher than the rear so that the tent sits parallel to the ground.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13777&d=1142133344

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13778&d=1142133344

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9415&d=1130859325

Mine is wide enough so that the tent's ladder hooks on the sides.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9419&d=1130860906

My wife and I have slept many a night up there over the years. It is wonderful sleeping in up there.

Its nice to see a product that is superior to any aftermarket bars being offered to folks in TPS Lizard's racks. With all four mounting points tied together I'm sure his is rock solid.

Bravo,
Jon

-
Awesome setup...you have my dream rigging with that top tent. I really want to grab one of those one day.

· Registered
211 Posts
I'm actually not trying to be a smart-a** here, I'm genuinely curious. Why would you want to pitch a tent on top of your car? The only reason I could thing of is that there isn't enough room to pitch your tent and park your car, but all the pictures I've seen so far appear to be in campgrounds where there is, indeed, enough room for both. It seems very precarious and difficult to climb in and out of. No?

· Registered
40 Posts
The roof top tents have their genesis in Africa, where things that crawl at night are mostly hungry and/or poisonous. So a ground tent would be more vulnerable.
Another advantage of the roof top tent: easy to pitch and no tracking dirt into the tent. Negatives include worse aerodynamics for the E and pricey.

Bottom line: different strokes...:)

Peter

· Registered
200 Posts
wow!! that looks familar

what does a magnolia cost, weigh, etc. That is very bad A$s indeed. I get it, camp right where you stop, period. What did you spend on the base? Did you bend and weld or have it done to your specs? I suggest the triangled underbrace is a must. I know my rear bars are 16+ inches behind the mount and they do flex a bit under load. Aluminum tends to fail (break) before it bends. By the way your overall size looks big, too big to ship in one piece. I only know this because I had to shave inches off the total of LxWxH to get it shipped UPS, they allow a 154" combined. My original idea was to deliver the look of the Toyota FJ rack to my E. You have done it one level up. I really like the Ursa minor set up, but, yours has got to cost less and deliver almost as much.
Well done

· Registered
38 Posts
The roof top tents have their genesis in Africa, where things that crawl at night are mostly hungry and/or poisonous. So a ground tent would be more vulnerable.
Another advantage of the roof top tent: easy to pitch and no tracking dirt into the tent. Negatives include worse aerodynamics for the E and pricey.

Bottom line: different strokes...:)

Peter
Actually I think the Europeans used them most/first and then they migrated to Africa (common sense). The Italian company Autohome (my tent's mfg) is over 50 years old. I have a Popular Mechanics mag from the 40's with a home-made version on a station wagon.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm actually not trying to be a smart-a** here, I'm genuinely curious. Why would you want to pitch a tent on top of your car? The only reason I could thing of is that there isn't enough room to pitch your tent and park your car, but all the pictures I've seen so far appear to be in campgrounds where there is, indeed, enough room for both. It seems very precarious and difficult to climb in and out of. No?
Already one good reply: Camp where you park
Also, virtually eliminates 90% of tent setup, removes much of the ground dwelling risks in heavy rain/snow, safer off the ground unless you sleepwalk and can undo a zipper in your sleep, etc...

Unless you're just married to the ground thing, I see lots of pros in this configuration.

Actually I think the Europeans used them most/first and then they migrated to Africa (common sense). The Italian company Autohome (my tent's mfg) is over 50 years old. I have a Popular Mechanics mag from the 40's with a home-made version on a station wagon.

I had no idea they had been around that long. I first found a system in the early 90's and a guy in California was basing his masters in business on launching his company with these.

121 - 140 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.