Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought to post this before, but I thought this might help some of the newer modders. For removing those tabs with the punch-down center (that hold on the front end) I have always used a paint-can lid remover. The curved end means that when it is under the center tab, the rest is vertical and can be levered easily (especially underneath the car) as opposed to a screwdriver where, once the tip is under the center tab, the length is horizontal and nearly impossible to lever to pop the center tab out.

Just thought this might help someone. Makes removal so much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
going to the hardware store today and buying one, its gonna be part of my E's tool kit, thank you!!

never thought about it but now that you mentioned it that tool would be perfect!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
going to the hardware store today and buying one, its gonna be part of my E's tool kit, thank you!!

never thought about it but now that you mentioned it that tool would be perfect!
if you really want one you can get it for free from lowes or homedepot

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I never thought to post this before, but I thought this might help some of the newer modders. For removing those tabs with the punch-down center (that hold on the front end) I have always used a paint-can lid remover. The curved end means that when it is under the center tab, the rest is vertical and can be levered easily (especially underneath the car) as opposed to a screwdriver where, once the tip is under the center tab, the length is horizontal and nearly impossible to lever to pop the center tab out.

Just thought this might help someone. Makes removal so much easier.
looks like it would be handy for opening a bottle of an adult beverage after you're done also.
<grin>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw this in my toolbox when I first started taking the E apart, and have used it ever since. I sharpened the tip just a little with my dremel, but you really don't even need to do that.

Glad this has helped someone out.

And, I can testify for popping at least one beer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great tip. This should save a lot of frustration and broken parts. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Good idea, I've got an extra hanging on the pegboard in my garage.

BTW, those darn little clips are $3.45 each at your friendly Honda parts counter!!:shock: I'm sure they are cheaper somewhere online, but I was there anyway buying some other stuff, so I said, "hey, I need about 10 of those things" and then paid the price. My wife's Civic Hybrid had always gone to the dealer for oil changes (free for 5 years as part of a promo we got when we bought the car), so when I took over oil change duties this year I saw that they had lost 5 of the 9 holding the plastic belly pan in place!! Being anal as I am I wanted to replace those, and they are the exact same clips holding the front and rear bumper plastic in place on my E.

Don't lose them, they be expensive!

·
Registered
109 Posts
BTW, those darn little clips are $3.45 each at your friendly Honda parts counter!!:shock: I'm sure they are cheaper somewhere online, Don't lose them, they be expensive!
yes you can get them wayyy cheaper online. i bought a set of 15 off ebay for 12.00 bucks.

seller is pageauto1 for anyone interested in getting them a set.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks! Great tip-I'll have to get one.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
yes you can get them wayyy cheaper online. i bought a set of 15 off ebay for 12.00 bucks.

seller is pageauto1 for anyone interested in getting them a set.
Thanks for the tip. I noticed I am missing several from the front bumper. I can only assume that the dealer lost them when they installed the front license plate holder almost 5 years ago.:roll:

·
12,179 Posts
I can only assume that the dealer lost them when they installed the front license plate holder almost 5 years ago.:roll:

I can't see that being possible.The front cover does not need to be remnoved to install the licence plate holder.....It just slips over the bumper and is help in with self tapping screws.:roll:

·
Registered
77 Posts
They also work well as seal-poppers, JIC you have a vehicle with older tech like packable bearings, or perhaps a trailer. They were .25/per at the local hardware. I splurged for two!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thanks for the great tip.

It came in very handy when installing my new lights.

I've had pretty good luck with a screwdriver, but the can opener is easier.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I tried your suggestion and it works much better than the clip tool I've been using. To think, I've had these laying around all this time.

Thanks for the great tip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts