Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to work for a mercedes-benz dealer doing all the detailing. I was introduced to a product called Race Glaze which works better than any other wax I've ever used! It's goes on easy & wipes off even easier! After applying Race Glaze you won't need to wax your element again for at least 6 months, & it makes water just sheet off. I get it at a local auto paint store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ever heard of Griots Garage? ( http://www.griotsgarage.com/ )

I am in no way affiliated with Griot's, but I have been using their wax on my Type R and my Accord for years now.

When my vehicles need it, I use their paint cleaning clay first. This removes any contaminents from the paint, and it gets the paint ready for compound, or wax if it doesn't need to be hit with compound to remove swirls first. It leaves the paint nice and smooth, and removes anything stuck to the paint like bugs, rocks, sap, or any other bad adhesives that stick on there. if you have never used a clay on your car before, you will be amazed at how smooth it gets the finish again. I know there are other clays out there as well that you can pick up at your local car care store that work just as good. I use their Speed Shine as the lubricant for the clay. you can also use Meguiar's quick detail spray as well. It's all effective.

After that, if I have some swirls that need to be buffed out, I use one of the three compunds Griot's offers. They have a Fine, Mild, and Medium depending on how swirled your paints is. These work awesome and take out any swirls or spider webs. I apply this with their Porter Cable orbital they sell, but it can also be applied by hand. They recommend starting with the Fine, then going to the Mild if need be, and hitting it again with the fine.

I detailed my '96 Accord V6 for the first time in 2 years yesterday and it was bad! Being in the military, the car has been sitting for the last year, and has only gotten about 4 baths in the last 16 months. I started with the medium, and the car looked phenomenol before I even waxed it. This system proves to be effective.

After I buff it out, I use the orbital again to apply their "Best of Show" Wax. This is one of the best waxes I have ever used, and the easiest to apply. And it really brings out the depth in your paint. My Accord is almost 8 years old, and with the exception of the paint chips, the paint looks awesome!

When it rains and the car needs a wash, i use their car wash, but any other non-wax stripping car wash will suit you just fine.

When the cars are just dusty, I use a California duster to remove the dust.

When it needs a little mre of a touch up, I use their Speed Shine, and wipe it dry with a cloth diaper.

All of these steps have proved efective for me, as have Griots products.

A few other tips:

1. When possible, wash your car after you have let your paint cool.
2. Never ever wash your car in the sun. This lets water spots produce, and warm paint gets soft, and helps the swirling start.
3. Never buff or wax your car in the sun or when the paint is still warm. This can make the product you are applying dry to fast, and you can get color variation.
4. Always wash the car top to bottom. never start at the bottom and work your way up. The bottom always has the best chance of having a rock stuck to it, which you could pick up on your sponge, and you could end up scrratching the surface of your paint while washing the rest. Ring out your sponge often, and check it for rocks or other thins that could potentially harm your paint.

There are also many other products that work just as well. Meguiar's and Mother's have great products that I have used in the past. Zymol makes an awesome paint prep cleaner/swirl remove called HD Cleanse. This is another phenomenol product that works wonders! But if you use it, use a back and forth motion, not a swirling motion.

In short, there are some great systems out there that work. Both the Mother's and Meguiar's 3 step packages work nice. I just prerfer the Griot's system that I have been using because it seems to work best for me, and is the fastest for me.

Hope that helps.

V/R,

Mark

·
Registered
335 Posts
[quote:249e188b97="markjahnke"]A few other tips:

1. When possible, wash your car after you have let your paint cool.
2. Never ever wash your car in the sun. This lets water spots produce, and warm paint gets soft, and helps the swirling start.
3. Never buff or wax your car in the sun or when the paint is still warm. This can make the product you are applying dry to fast, and you can get color variation...[/quote:249e188b97]

First thanks for the paint finishing info, I never knew how detailers got the swirls out of the finish. I've always wanted to have that show car finish on my vehicles, but never knew how to accomplish it. But the problem I have is that I live down a long gravel driveway (rocks, dust) and I have no garage. Hurricanes have robbed my yard of all its shade trees, so I only have the wide open spaces to wash, wax, and detail my vehicles. I need to move just so I could get out of the sun!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup.

Zaino
Zaino
Zaino

In that order :D No question about it.

I don't think anything can compete and it is simple to use with no residue.

Some great pics from the S2000 board: http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140923

I wish I had taken pics of my Zaino'd Spa Yellow S2K before I traded it in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used Liqid Glass for years. Aplly it in a straigt line, no circular motion, and remove it using a tery cloth towel in a staright line. No swirls and it applies and comes off easily.

·
Registered
89 Posts
C'mon, c'mon...there's just no question...Zaino!

Lock the thread, lock the thread! :wink:

Just kidding, of course. However, I defy anyone to try Zaino and say it isn't the best wax you've ever used. I agree with Turtle2...my del Sol still beads water after over a year.

I am not affiliated with Zaino...I have just been assimilated by their awesome product.

If I could only find time to Zaino the Element :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote:7560150479="Hawaiian E"]Mr. Zogs Quick Humps. The best ever. Works perfect, smells like Root Beer.[/quote:7560150479]

But what do you use on your Element :shock:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Oh! on the Element? I thought it was a thread of best wax...

Pretty much been trying different stuff, Meguiars works well enough for me. But, if RJM says Zaino, then i'll have to try it. Or since "MJ" has been advertising for Griots Garage so much, maybe i'll give that a try. Just got to wait till I don't have to drive anywhere and the heat dies down...

·
Registered
52 Posts
After reading this and other threads, I decided to pick up some Zaino Z2 polish and ZFX accelerator (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino).

I will post more details once I have a chance to use it on my black E for the first time.

But strictly from a consumer's initial viewpoint, the product information on their site and the description of the methods in which you use the products seems very impressive.

:D I was also shocked to find the package on my doorstep the day after I ordered it! They're in New Jersey and I'm in Missouri so I thought at first they had overnighted my order. However, after second glance I realized that they used a regional shipping source in Kansas - just one state away.

However they do it, I'm really impressed on the front end with the buying experience.

Now, on to the wax job...more soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've read over and over about Zaino. Now I have not personally tried it, but there is also the $ factor. So, I gave Meguiars a shot. If you check out their site, you can get a 'perscription' for what products fit how you want your 'E' to look. It factors in the make and model of your car, it's color, the area in which you live, the way you wish it to look, and what your normal washing habits are. I have absolutely no complaints against it. I am using the 'Gold Class' line of products. So, if you are on a smaller budget, then give Meguiars a shot. It turned the finish of my NBP to that of a mirror.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've read into waxes and from what a lot of auto detailers have said on various message boards, Blackfire is number one with Zaino and Klasse right behind.

http://www.properautocare.com/blackfireusa.html

Klasse is an acrylic while both Zaino and Blackfire are silicone based. The Zaino and Blackfire are both very durable (lasting a year) but according to people who have used both, Blackfire provides a better gloss. Many people who use Zaino add a coat of carnuba wax on top to get the desired gloss while the Blackfire has that carnuba look out of the box.

I'll be applying the Blackfire on my E this weekend and I'll share some pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts