Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna know what the good "glass cleaner" is?

huh huh huh do ya do ya huh huh? :lol:

spray-on furniture polish ~ the really greasy kind like Bissell brand

Think I'm jokin' don't ya!?

When I am done tinting a window and the car's ready for clean-n-go , it's gets cleaned with furn. polish.

Why!?!?!?

Furniture polish is very similiar to "high-end" silicone based window cleaners.. except you can get this stuff for like $.98 a can, not $4.95.

Spritz a light coat over the window and go to wiping and rubbing with a clean soft rag or good qaulity paper towel. It looks streaky an oily for second but keep rubbing.... it will all buff crystal clear.

Now WHY is this better than a wet rag, Windex etc? 1. Windex should abolished from the face of the Earth. It eats anything made from plastic... you dash, seats, body panels etc... we use the stuff to strip old tint.... eating old tint is about it's only good use. 2. Windex, water etc leave window film/plain glass clean BUT not protected. It's almost like the windows are 'chapped'...

Polish will leave an invisible coating on the glass that will repel future dust/fingerprints/etc from sticking to the window ~ and it will also make the roll-up windows travel more smoothly since the glass surface is "slicker". ~ sorta like Armor-All (which also should be banned along with Windex (it ATTRACTS dirt)

Also... polish will remove streaking, water spills and other minor marks from plastic panels (I use it to clean up water 'stains' on interiors when done tinting.. yes it works)

Trust me... it works ... spray-on furniture polish- glass.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have heard this....and like anything new I am a lil' leary (much like I was about the E until I learned all about it and took it for a test drive)

So I will try this out on the 1990 civic....and as long as all goes well I will try it out on the E

Thanks for the tip!
Diane

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you recommend this for the outside of the window too? Makes sense for the inside, but what will it do to the paint when it rains and runs off the window, or is this not an issue??

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
On another post where someone recommended Pledge for cleaning the dashboard...a nifty E owner called SC Johnson and they told them NOT to use on the outside of an automobile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry, I wasn't totally clear... I was referring to the INSIDE of the windows... not the outside.

putting it on the outside would be fairly mute since it is exposed to the elements (ha ha... pun) .. but seriously, it would quickly wash off etc.

anyhow... use it to clean the INSIDE...

and yes, you can use it to clean a dashboard (I use it to wash out the water streaks in plastic after I tint a car... sometimes the plastic can get very whitish and streaky if enough water got on it and the polish will remove those spots really well)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the slow reply.

Really any aerosol furniture polish should work fine

The brand I've bought for lord knows how long is "Bissell" (like the vacuum cleaners). I buy it simply becuase it's $.98 a can. $4.95 a can stuff isn't any better to be honest.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WindowTint,

I bought some Old English today (they didn't have Bissell) and I sprayed some on and wiped it down via a paper towel. From inside, it looks clear, but from outside the windshield looks very streaky (like greasy remains).

What did I do wrong?

Thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am interested in this furn. polish for the interior also. The first week we had our element the bugs were splattered ALL over the windshield. I applied the ol' RAIN-X to the windshield now there are 95% less bug splats on it. They hit it and the bug and his guts just slide right off without a trace. Totally awesome.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I love this from beyondnascar "They hit it and the bug and his guts just slide right off without a trace" think rain x could use this for a new campaign.. "Bug Guts Just Roll Right OFF!" love it.. ok

now on the furniture polish, awesome, love these ideas, and i will give that a go.. Windowtint how is the fogging case using the furniture polish on the inside of the windows? is there a problem with that at all?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another good trick to clean windows is by using newspapers & water instead of papertowels.

You don't need any other chemicals or sprays. I've been using water & regular old newspapers to wipe it down (both inside & out) for a streakfree clean window for the past year. Got the tip from some other forums and it's worked great since!

HTH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I always use newspapers for that! Have since I was younger with a glass dining table.... my roommate told me about it and I thought he was crazy... but lo and behold it works GREAT!
boght some Rain-X glass cleaner yesterday at family dollar store for 2 bucks, says right on front safe for tinted glass...... hmmmmm we will see!

·
Registered
30 Posts
[quote:d5d2d54dd6="What The!"]Another good trick to clean windows is by using newspapers & water instead of papertowels.[/quote:d5d2d54dd6]

Yep, newspapers and water works great. Newspapers and VINEGAR works better. Mix some water and vinegar (about 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water) and wash the windows. They'll leave them spotless. That's an old household cleaning tip I learned a long time ago.

Also, as a household cleaning tip - if you want to leave your bathroom chrome spotless, wash it with anything and then wipe it down with plain rubbing alcohol. Your little Peerless faucet will look like you just took it out of the box and installed it.

Feeling a bit Heloise-ish...
CopperPoppy

·
Registered
150 Posts
i am leary to put furniture polish or anything else that is chemically greasy on my glass or anywhere else in my vehicle. I think I will stick to water, newpapers and a little vinegar! (although the stoner glass cleaner spray has caught my eye!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
[quote:65e7b0075b="Give 'em EL!"]on the inside...fantastic results...make sure you use a swifter or some kind of lint free cloth...did not try newspaper. :D[/quote:65e7b0075b]

I like your name. :)

Clever. Very clever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts