Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a mileage reply. As I have an EX auto, 4wd and also the roof racks I was getting no better than 21 mpg's. I installed Aquatunes vapor injection (hydrogen) aquatune.com, and at 55 got 35.5. I even got 30 at 70 miles per hour, though I usually get 28 at 70 - 75. If you are trying to get your mileage up I highly recommend checking out this site and giving this a try.
Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To say I'm very skeptical would be an understatement! But who knows ...? Could you tell me how difficult this was to install?

- Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, the Aquatune web site is pretty persuasive. I'm going to do some math and try to figure out when the thing would pay for itself, assuming the 25% increase in gas mileage that they cite.

One other question I would have would be whether this would void the Element's warranty. The Aquatune web site is honest enough to say that some car dealers will tell you it voids the warranty, and others will tell you it doesn't. Did you check with your dealer on this?

(By the way, this discussion probably belongs in either the "Under the Hood" or the "Mods" forum. I'm guessing the site owner may move it soon.)

-- Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm, the company has been around since 1972. And yet, they are not well known. If any company had a device that increased gas mileage 25% that really worked, we would all know about it.

I am an open-minded person, but this sounds too good to be true. And I can guarantee this modification would void your Honda warranty. Please, someone prove me wrong. One post is anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back in the 60's it was the Mark VII Vapor Injector.
This seems like it's more sophisticated - or it could just be flashier packaging.

As I recall - these systems work. I don't know about their claims, but one does see an improvement.

I'd say a call to The Tappet Brithers is in order :~)

Peter

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
Golly! And to think that they spent all that money developing hybrids when they could get s similar benefit from bolting this wonderful product to a stock engine. Hmmm. Wanna buy a bridge?

·
Registered
261 Posts
this does seem a little too good to be true...but it would be nice to be proven wrong. i agree that a call to the tappet bros. is in order!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a sucker for testimonials, and the testimonials on the Aquatune site sound great.

But I keep asking myself: If this device works as claimed, why doesn't every car come from the factory with one already installed? With the volume deals the car manufacturers should be able to get, it shouldn't add very much to the overall sticker price of a vehicle. My decision to buy an E would have been made even quicker if it had come rated, say, at 26 to 30 mpg!

- Steve

·
Registered
540 Posts
I emailed a question about this device to Tom and Ray, aka Click & Clack, the Tappet Bros. of Car Talk fame.

We'll see if they answer. Hope they will!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well - if they don't respond to yours they might respond to mine which I sent earlier this morning.
Getting a few might prompt them to look at them!
Peter

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:8dcf900906="PeterCrowl"]Well - if they don't respond to yours they might respond to mine which I sent earlier this morning.
Getting a few might prompt them to look at them!
Peter[/quote:8dcf900906]

Indeed it might.

I also mentioned ElementOwnersClub.com. Free publicity! This is why Tom pays RML and me the big bucks. :roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Still using the Aquatune, sounds too good to be true... is it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Google returned this:

http://www.remnantsaints.com/AlternativeUtilities/Hydrogen/aquatune.htm

Conclusions:

Aquatune does not produce a good mist injection, but rather droplets of water that roll along the sides of the hose on the way to the intake. This is not what a water injection system should do. Adjusting the switch to the 6:00 o’clock position improved this slightly.

There is no “vacuum reservoir” or shunting capability built into the Aquatune devise that would keep the vacuum moving through the device at its optimum “tuned “ vacuum that produces hydrogen ions. Later discussion with the technician at Aquatune verified that the Aquatune device only has a small water reservoir in case of low vacuum during acceleration, but no vacuum reservoir.

There is no concrete evidence that hydrogen ions are being detached from the water molecules as claimed by the manufacturer.

There is no real power increase when using the Aquatune system. Actually there is a slight average power decrease when using the system, when you take into account the whole RPM range.

As a water injection system the Aquatune device, when poorly adjusted, is no better that a small pipe tee that causes a metered, venturi powered, Bernoulli affect dripping of water. A tee can be obtained for a couple dollars while the Aquatune costs $350-$400. Proper adjustment helps some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts