Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really like the style of the element but.... looks a little close to the ground to actually go on some of the back roads i take to fishing holes. any ideas to raise it a bit, just a little would help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your spedometer will be off some now, you'll be going faster than the gauge says so be careful (cops). On the plus side, your odometer will read less miles than you've actually traveled. Only slightly though. When the tire makes 1 revolution, your larger diameter tire travels farther than the smaller factory tire. That extra tread takes you a few inches (1 or 2?) farther every time the wheel turns. It adds up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
With the larger tires it is only a 4% increase. So yes, your speedometer will be off, but only by a little--not a huge difference. Although I went through a radar monitored area the other day and it clocked me at exactly what my speedometer said. So, either the larger tires haven't made that much of a difference, or my speedometer was off from the beginning. Hmmmm?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good deal. That's good to hear for all the guys who wanna mod their E's. I had a Civic and modified the **** out of it, it got so expensive I told myself I wouldn't mess with this new E. I might put in new door speakers, but I hope that's all I allow myself to do. It's so easy to dive into the after-market craze.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:c2b92c8eb3="pedsflightrn"]With the larger tires it is only a 4% increase. So yes, your speedometer will be off, but only by a little--not a huge difference. Although I went through a radar monitored area the other day and it clocked me at exactly what my speedometer said. So, either the larger tires haven't made that much of a difference, or my speedometer was off from the beginning. Hmmmm?[/quote:c2b92c8eb3]

Speedometers are almost always set to read higher than true speed, sometimes by as much as 5%.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure if this is a problem with Honda, but there is precedent for denying warranty claims related to the drivetrain if larger tires are installed. Basically, the larger tires are a way of reducing the gear ratios.

Considerable engineering effort goes into matching all these components from engine through transmission through differentials and transfer cases and the wheels. In a torquey 4 banger I would imagine some of the calculations are rather critical. I would at least look into the warranty situation before doing this.

yelapa

·
Registered
96 Posts
[quote:548867102f="4rachnid"]Good deal. That's good to hear for all the guys who wanna mod their E's. I had a Civic and modified the **** out of it, it got so expensive I told myself I wouldn't mess with this new E. I might put in new door speakers, but I hope that's all I allow myself to do. It's so easy to dive into the after-market craze.[/quote:548867102f]

Im just like you. I had a Civic i modified the **** out of it and it got stolen.. What a burn.. Thats the reason why i bought the E so i don't fix it up... I jus say to myself honda accessories only.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:d8613e6bd7="yelapa"]Not sure if this is a problem with Honda, but there is precedent for denying warranty claims related to the drivetrain if larger tires are installed. Basically, the larger tires are a way of reducing the gear ratios.

Considerable engineering effort goes into matching all these components from engine through transmission through differentials and transfer cases and the wheels. In a torquey 4 banger I would imagine some of the calculations are rather critical. I would at least look into the warranty situation before doing this.

yelapa[/quote:d8613e6bd7]

Yes, but look at all the cars (including 4 bangers) that offer larger wheels and tires as an expensive option. I'd wager they all change them right at the dealers and don't reengineer a thing, expect the profit column.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do any of you have these tires on your e? Do they rub? Looking to lift my e about an inch. How much more ground clearance did you get?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want to get some 235/70/16s any ideas for selling the stock wrangler tires?
I went to discount tire and told them the Goodyears seemed noisy and the gave me $120 each for the Goodyears. I bought Michelin P255's for $150. I had them mounted white letter out and love the improvement with the wider, taller tire. I will post a pci as soon as I remember to take one and figure out how to get it on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little lift for the E

I go off road a lot and needed better ground clearance for my 06 E so I installed 18" rims with 23 55/18 tires. I also installed 2 adjustable spring shims on each spring. My E sits 1 1/2" higher than stock which keeps me from bottoming out on the ruts on dirt roads! Ride is much stiffer but thats what I need for off road. Paved road handling is great with the stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have p235 70 16s on my E and I love them. No rubbing I've had them on for about 14k miles. See my signature for brand and model.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
wow, 6.5 years between posts! Since the OP posted, there have been advances in lifts for more ground clearance: the Sparman lift and the CCM lift. do a search for these terms and you will find threads about getting two more inches. ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lift Kit

i really like the style of the element but.... looks a little close to the ground to actually go on some of the back roads i take to fishing holes. any ideas to raise it a bit, just a little would help.
I found 3 inch lift kit on E-Bay....just like you...I wanna go up with my Element...not down...

Mr Java

1 - 18 of 18 Posts