Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left John and Chula Vista July 17th and this is the first time I've had wifi. Having an Ecamper makes for more adventure and less electricity!!

First, the Ecamper is AWESOME!!! Everything is perfect - very well thought out and professionally done - looks like it came as OEM. Mattress is very comfortable and the reading lamps are such a treat. No more holding a flashlight at weird angles to read at night. Piece of cake to put up and take down. No noticeable difference in driving performance.

Have slept through one rainstorm and it didn't leak a drop. We are the center of attention at every campground because no one has anything like it and so many campers want a more simplistic means of camping - one that doesn't require a 40' RV pulling a car. The Ecamper allows for spontaneity - I can pull into an empty spot in front of a bookstore or bakery. No need to drive around searching for a parking place miles from the spot that caught my eye. And it's still an around town car - not something that has to be stored when I'm not camping.

And.........it is considered a "hard sided camper"............very important given that I'm currently in Montana and have seen a Grizzly Bear in a meadow along the Gallatin River south of Big Sky - two days before the campers at Soda Butte were attacked and one was killed - and at the same time Jack Hannah (Colulmbus Zoo) had to use his bear spray on 3 grizzlies in Glacier. I feel much safe camping in bear country in the E than I would in a tent! I'm sure many folks will never again tent camp in bear country because of this week's events. The Ecamper is the perfect solution!

Will try to attach some pics.............not necessarily in chronological order.

First should be of the little E parked next to a provisioning wagon along the Oregon Trail. Sure am glad I'm traveling the E instead.

Second should be my first night dispersed camping above Lone Pine, CA along the climb to the Portals of Whitney.

Third should be in Alpine Meadows campground - Truckee, CA - next to Martis Lake - above Tahoe (which is the bluest lake I've ever seen). Great campground - especially dog friendly - locals brought their dogs to swim with them in the lake - all off-leash. Area is 1800 acres - adjacent to another 1800 acres of donated land - great for hiking and biking across the dam up into the woods for miles. Adjacent to a glider port where I watched hot air balloons take off early in the morning while biking with Aladdin. Gorgeous meadow and lake views from the campsites. Stayed two nights - should have stayed a week.

Will try for some other pics - who knows when I'll have wifi again before September when I'll head home.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are having fun. I lived in Reno for a number of years I know the area up at Truckee well. Beautiful country.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using silver shades (even though one is green because I couldn't resist my favorite color) on a hot day. Silver shades are used frequently in the competitive dog world because of how much they reduce the temperature inside cars on hot days. I just have to figure out how to hang the shades from the E - or from something stable that I can drive away from and leave in place. Was using a flimsy Ozark Trail canopy - which blows down in the slightest breeze, so I threw it away in Bozeman after the rain storm. But I don't want an EZ-Up (wasn't easy to me) and I don't want anything heavy or large to take up space. Some form of roller-furling would be perfect.

John said one Ecamper guy used the same metal attachments that the Ecamper folds down into to somehow support a rod for his tarp. If that guy is on the forum, maybe he'll explain.

Next pic of one of the Grizzly I saw. He was on one side of the stream and occassionally went down for a drink. If he'd come up on my side of the creek, I'd have run for the E. Aladdin was NOT outside the car.

Third pic is on the 395 in the High Sierras. Took the 395 all the way to the top of Idaho, where I turned toward Montana on Hwy 12 over Lolo Pass.

Pretty country. Glad to be in the Ecamper enjoying it!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Following you on your trip is awesome, makes me feel almost like I am there. What a great land the USA is. I can't wait to get out on the road again -- going to go up to the Yosemite area in a few weeks for a few days to try camping again, then if it works out well, we're going to take the E on a tour of Southern Utah -- hope to stay at your campground at Kodachrome Basin, you inspired us!

Please keep us updated and post photos if you can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep the pictures coming. Also, in Sep when you are headed back to Morehead City, if you are on US64, you can give me a heads up and I will buy you breakfast-lunch-supper for a tour of the E. Also have an open drive way and back yard if cant make it to the coast.
u

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Love the setup...I'd say I'm green with envy but that's way too easy.

Saw you're from Morehead City...Lived a couple of years in Winston Salem...keep the place beautiful out that way and enjoy those travels. More pics...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What a great looking set up......Really makes me miss my '69 Pop top VW!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great pics ridgeback! Love the Ecamper, wish I had it. We camped a few days ago in Kodachrome on your recommendation, it is probably the best campground we have camped at. And we camp a lot (just got back from two weeks, 5400 miles).
I would suggest looking into the REI alcove stand alone canopy. Its only 15 pounds and takes up the same amount of room as our two-person tent when packed in the E.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
17 days since I last had wifi!!! The Ecamper insists on getting off the beaten track - away from electric and cell coverage - makes me consider an air card.

Am in Dubois, WY and as I came into town, the odometer clicked 10,000 miles since I left Morehead City in June.

I am AWED by the sights I've seen, thrilled with the professional job Ursa Minor and John did with the design of the Ecamper and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the reliability of the Element!!! Thank you HONDA!!

Loved Montana and Wyoming and Glacier National Park is magnificent. Will try to attach some pics but it's one of those places you have to see yourself.

And if you do, please make the 26 mile gravel road, inside passage to Polebridge and go to the bakery - the only reason to go to Polebridge. You will become a member of a VERY small club of people who've eaten the best baked goods anywhere. Six miles beyond Polebridge is Bowman Lake.......beautiful, glaciated lake - scenery to die for and it made me wish I had a kyak. Soooooo many perfect big and little lakes all over Montana just begging for a boat. But the best part of the trip to Polebridge (perfect trip for an E - not suitable for many trailers) was seeing a beautiful black wolf - close enough to see his yellow eyes. What a magnificent beast he was - not at all afraid - just observant. Aladdin was so excited - it looked like a friend. I don't think so.

Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming - gentle mountains with trees - not a scarey jagged climb - great dispersed camping so many places - snow pack at 9,000' in August overlooking the BigHorn Basin! Cow elk along the road. Interesting hike to Medicine Wheel. Proud to know the E can climb like a trooper - glad I wasn't an Indian who had to hike the whole 9,000 on foot'.

Loved Northeastern WY - went to the town of Aladdin so I could take a picture of Aladdin in from of the town sign. He looks like a child who is saying, "Mom, do we have to take ANOTHER [email protected]?!"

Fort Peck, Montana - high on a bluff above the 137 mile long lake created by the dam on the Missouri River. Peck's Rex - home of the TRex and many other dinosaur bones. Read that Montana is the only place in the world the TRex has been found.

Added the Beartooth Highway from Red Lodge to Cooke City to my list of WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?! roads. Went to about 10,000' and turned back because I could see the switchbacks above were built on landslides. Couldn't have gotted to the campground at Soda Butte anyway because that was where the grizzly had killed the man from Michigan two days before.

Not a day goes by that someone doesn't ask to see the Ecamper. It is so much fun to be the center of attention at every campground because no one has anything like it. Should have asked John how many he has made so far.

pic 1 is Aladdin, in front of the Aladdin, WY sign (population 15)
pic 2 is Devil's Tower
pic 3 is one of dozens along the Going-To-The-Sun road inside Glacier.

will try for others but it's late.
A happy, tired Ecamper from Dubois, WY where it's supposed to be in the 40's tonight - much better than 20 in Yellowstone last night!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a great land indeed!!! Hope you make it to Kodachrome. I'm trying to keep a record of my "favorite" campgrounds but haven't decided how to narrow the definition of "favorite". I do like a hot shower after a couple days, but have found I can pay for a shower even if I'm not staying at a campground. I like isolated, hard to get to -off the beaten track. I like scenic. Sometimes all those are not at the same campground. I also like electric and wifi - definitely not usually available where I've stayed. And have found that although KOA's advertise wifi, more often than not, it doesn't work. I've left several KOA's minutes after checking in if the promised wifi didn't work. Other KOA's have refunded my stay because I only stayed there to get wifi. Will write someone in management when I get home. Best KOA so far was in Missoula, where there was a tower for every row!

Another couple of pics - one of the wolf on the way to Polebridge, next of the bakery at Polebridge - the reward for traveling those 26 miles on a gravel road and another example of "if you build it, they will come" . Then some of the Vedauwoo - the weirdest rocks off the Happy Jack Road between Laramie and Cheyenne. Miles and miles of what looked like toad stools. It took me hours to travel 7 miles on a dirt road because I had to stop every 50 yards to take pics. Amazing sights - like God was making a giant drippy castle somewhere and these rocks were what slipped through his fingers on the way to the main castle.

I really needed a geologist riding shotgun on this whole trip. The scenery changes are so abrupt. I've thought about Box4Rocks alot on this trip and wondered if that handle implies a geology background.

Have fun in Southern Utah - want to go back someday to see more - but not in the summer!!! LOL

Following you on your trip is awesome, makes me feel almost like I am there. What a great land the USA is. I can't wait to get out on the road again -- going to go up to the Yosemite area in a few weeks for a few days to try camping again, then if it works out well, we're going to take the E on a tour of Southern Utah -- hope to stay at your campground at Kodachrome Basin, you inspired us!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would be happy to offer a tour of the E - but US64 isn't on the way. Am hoping to make the Egathering in October somewhere on the East coast - have forgotten where or when. Wifi and cell coverage for the last two months have been very spotty.

Currently at the Double Nickel campground in York, NE and for once, a campground actually has solid wifi. My Outlook Express is corrupted so it will a surprise to see if I can access the pics I hope to attach to this email.

First pic should be Old Faithful - that night in Yellowstone, temps went to 20 degrees!!!! Felt so sorry for two Aussies I met - they'd flown in to NYC, picked up a rented Harley, driven to Sturgis, then on West. The whole way, it had been HOT -until Yellowstone. The sleeping bags and clothing they brought were summer light - had not calculated on altitude as the highest "mountain" in Oz is about 2300'. We were at 7900'. They were miserable - called in a "two dingo night". One dingo to hug, one dingo to huddle up against behind.

2ne pic should be Aladdin standing in the Oregon Trail ruts cut into the rock at Guernsy, WY.

3rd pic should be the view from the beach at Bowman Lake campground in Glacier NP. No showers, so Aladdin and I swam in the lake........might qualify me for the Polar Bear Club. Yikes! But after that 26 mile gravel road to Polebridge and 6 more to the lake, it was pretty nice.

One overwhelming factor out West is the DUST!!!!! Have washed the E more times in the last 10,000 miles than in the previous 110,000!!!! Glad not to have the heat and humidity back home, but the dust is awful - especially since so many of the out of the way campgrounds are up gravel roads!

Headed east. Happy trails.

Keep the pictures coming. Also, in Sep when you are headed back to Morehead City, if you are on US64, you can give me a heads up and I will buy you breakfast-lunch-supper for a tour of the E. Also have an open drive way and back yard if cant make it to the coast.
u

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We should have a sticky for "best campgrounds". Want to do Utah again, in cool weather - so much to see there.

1st pic - Grand Tetons...........stopped at the Jackson Lodge and had lunch on the balcony.........best view of the Tetons and you don't have to have lunch or coffee - just go thru the lodge to the outside walk and stand in awe of the Tetons.

2nd pic - the E, blending in (right) with the bikers traveling to Sundance, Devil's Tower, Aladdin, WY a few days before Sturgis.

3rd - more of those weird rocks at Vedauwoo.

Headed east.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interestingly enough, I think a number of folks have changed their minds about trying to find a 40 year VW camper after seeing the E. A new, reliable Honda with the fun of the VW................ hard to beat the combination for minimalist campers.

Sent 3 boxes home of too much stuff. Next trip, I'll have it down to bare necessities.

1st pic is on a lake in MT where it is getting a little chilly - thus Aladdin's jacket in the morning.

2nd - a cow moose along the road in the Big Horns

3rd - Register Cliffs - where pioneers resting along the Oregon Trail carved their names into the stone. 700 verified - the rest are modern 'fools faces' names. Wish there had been a list of the verified names available at the site. Would like to know if I had any ancestors who followed the call to go West.......before 2010. :)

What a great looking set up......Really makes me miss my '69 Pop top VW!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts