Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put this tire on their Element? It is time for new tires before winter hits and was looking at this tire from Costco. I need a low noise, all season tire that is good in the occasional snow/icy roads roads that we get here. I would really like to put the Michelin-LTX M/S tire's, but I not sure that I can justify the expense. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been considering the BFG All-Terrains for a while, but don't really need a tire quite so aggressive for my use. I've seen scores of BFG tires on other vehicles (Long Terrain, Long Trail, etc, etc) and have often wondered what all the differences were.

I'll be following along in hopes I can gleam a few things from this discussion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can answer that question. I was in the market for new tires for my 07 E three weeks ago, and checked out the tires on Tirerack and read the reviews. I had my local Sears store order a set of BFG Long trail's for my E. After the install I noticed they used some good sized wheel weights on three of the tires and the left rear had three weights placed together, which looked to be about 5 inches of wheel weights. Knowing this was not right I showed the wheel to the service manager. They broke the tire down and tried to rotate it on the wheel to balance it without the large amount of weight being used. Finally the tech said he added stick-on weights on the inside so it would not look sio bad on the rim. I thought this was trouble but off I went. First thing I noticed was the BFG's were really quite compaired to the Goodyear OEM tires. After hitting the highway I noticed that the E shook and viberated the floor above 60 mph and really got bad by 70 mph. Long story short this is the second time I have bought this tire for a vehicle and had vibration problems. Sears did not give me any problem when I went back they refunded my money and sold me the LTX Michelins for $80.00 off plus a rebate of $60.00 from Michelin. The Michelin tires make no noise and ride smooth at any speed, and required very little wheel weight to balance them. YES they are worth the higher price in my book.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My current experience with BFGoodrich tires:
- Never bought them until a few months ago, bought after reading EOC posts.
- Bought a set of A/T's and loved em, but sciatica in my back went out (not because of the tires) so...
- Replaced them with softer BFG LT's

From my experience the BFG A/T's are definately a meaty tire and do the job, but they are a bit loud. I just replaced mine with the BFG LT's and they seem to be working fine, but the handling is no where near the A/T's. If you're more concerned about safety than noise go with the sturdier all terain tires.

Got mine at Costco since they where on sale plus I've had 5 or 6 sets of tires through them and never had issues. I think their inventory turn over is quick so you're sure to get a freshly manufactured tire and not seconds.

It's the elusive middle ground between off road performance and everyday usability that everyone will split hairs on. After my recent experience with both types of tires I personally don't think it really exists. If you can, hitch a ride with someone who has AT's on their vehicle and see if the noise is unbearable for you before you decide. I think it's a personal preferance as the extra noise never bothered me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put a set of long trail TA's on my 05 and love the way it rides and handles. Went with one size larger than stock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wheel weights

I can answer that question. I was in the market for new tires for my 07 E three weeks ago, and checked out the tires on Tirerack and read the reviews. I had my local Sears store order a set of BFG Long trail's for my E. After the install I noticed they used some good sized wheel weights on three of the tires and the left rear had three weights placed together, which looked to be about 5 inches of wheel weights. Knowing this was not right I showed the wheel to the service manager. They broke the tire down and tried to rotate it on the wheel to balance it without the large amount of weight being used. Finally the tech said he added stick-on weights on the inside so it would not look sio bad on the rim. I thought this was trouble but off I went. First thing I noticed was the BFG's were really quite compaired to the Goodyear OEM tires. After hitting the highway I noticed that the E shook and viberated the floor above 60 mph and really got bad by 70 mph. Long story short this is the second time I have bought this tire for a vehicle and had vibration problems. Sears did not give me any problem when I went back they refunded my money and sold me the LTX Michelins for $80.00 off plus a rebate of $60.00 from Michelin. The Michelin tires make no noise and ride smooth at any speed, and required very little wheel weight to balance them. YES they are worth the higher price in my book.
I was always told, to reject a tire that required more than two weights to balance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Is the 225 size, instead of 215, a good fit for the Element? I know that Costco will only install the size quoted by Honda. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Is the 225 size, instead of 215, a good fit for the Element? I know that Costco will only install the size quoted by Honda. Thanks, Bob
I have the 225's ................

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for pic, tire looks good. What is the advantage of the 225 instead of 215? Does it just fill out the wheel well a little better? The Tour is a little different tire than just the T/A. It looks like it is more of a street tire, not as aggressive.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the radial T/A's in 225 and they are just 10mm wider than the 215

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the Long Trails in the 225 size. I bought them at Sam's Club. I just told them what size I wanted and that's what I got. I've had them for about 25,000 miles. They are quiet, wear, and ride good. I've noticed a little traction problem on wet roads. It will try to spin out when I take off if I'm not careful. There's not been enough snow here to really judge the snow performance. The price was good. About $100 per tire. I'm satisfied with them and will probably replace with the same thing next time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ltx m/s 2

I had Sears put on the Michelin LTX M/S2 in 225/70/16 and they fit up fine and ride like a dream with the Michelin guarantee a three year flat change or towing up to 150 miles. Sears had the lowest price by $145 with an alignment. Way better than the BF Goodrich's I had on my F 150. Quieter and softer riding. Check em out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BF Goodrich Long Trail 225/70R16 Installed

I just installed 4 new BF Goodrich T/A tour tires from Discount Tires in Las Vegas with the larger size 225's. The tires are great. They are quiet, great traction, and look great with the white raised letters facing out. I have had the same tires in the past on other vehicles and loved them. Full set with install about $650.00. :grin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shopping tires

Thank you, they may be my choice...
i'm in that proverbial corner

Money is tight and I need tires, a really generous friend gave me significant gift card for Sears, supposed to help with cost of a new refrigerator, but, I can live without a refrigerator... tires are another matter.

Problem is, I visited Sears the other day and was not pleased with the fees or the blather...
I'm now looking on line wondering if I can use the card to purchase the tires and take them to the most (seemingly) reliable service shops locally (America's or Performance) and have them put on, I gotta ask if the service fees and warranties are the same if I bring the tires in...
sadly, seems Sears does not carry the same tires other recommended... Cooper Discoverer HTP was the top recommendation elsewhere for my low mileage (4,000 a year), non-off road driving.

Pity Sears will not (so far) cash in the gift card so I can use the dealer of my choice. The Wranglers have never a problem but, you never know.

Will I offend the other shops if I ask them to install tires purchase elsewhere?
Or will the fees be higher?

Thanks for any advice

*** Sears...
I asked for an out the door price for tires for my 2006 Element, LX, The associate added the cost of digital valves for a 2006 car that does not have the needed electronics to read the valves, He did not suggest this as an option, he just totaled it in. No other tire source I spoke to later did this. When I asked about the digital valves he dithered, stating they were “required”, “you have to have that”, when I asked directly, “are you saying this is required by law?” he said “uhmmm uh mumble mumble................. no....” If the point is it was required by the warranty, he did not say.
Their fees for everything were higher than the neighborhood average...
the tires we priced, while $2 cheaper per tire than America's, ended up costing me over $140.00 more installed..... with a 4 year warranty instead of life time of the tire, alignment twice the local professional alignment shop price. Not impressed.

I don't know enough to protect myself from auto repair scams, I've been scammed a couple times, I can't afford it now, aside from the principle of the thing

·
Registered
44 Posts

I was just looking at cost, they offer tree tires for my 2006 honda Element, LX

one a winter tire, the other two off road
and I can't look at their selection to see if they have any of the many tires other dealers suggest for my car, no way to search...

they only see "off road"?
I need a domestic tire

·
Registered
223 Posts
In May of this year, I ordered 4 ea, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour in P215/70R16 from Costco Online. They were shipped directly to Costco in San Diego and I had them installed there. Total cost out the door including mounting and balancing was $558.96.

Have you gone into the store and talked to the tire store manager to see if they could order you a Highway tire? There customer service is A++++.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I noticed they used some good sized wheel weights on three of the tires and the left rear had three weights placed together, which looked to be about 5 inches of wheel weights. Knowing this was not right I showed the wheel to the service manager. They broke the tire down and tried to rotate it on the wheel to balance it without the large amount of weight being used. Finally the tech said he added stick-on weights on the inside so it would not look sio bad on the rim. .
That's probably why you had vibration issues when you had him change it - wheel weights aren't supposed to be aesthetics, but functional. If you have even the slightest amount of curb rash then they can throw the wheel off balance and require multiple more weights.

No two wheels are exactly the same and require different weighting depending on the outcome of them being manufactured, same goes for tires. Trust the tech's, I can guarantee you only had that issue because you disapproved of how it looked and they changed it to meet your expectations. I change tires on my racing motorcycle by hand and even using the same brand tires on the same wheels I will usually always have a different weight bias whenever I balance them, and you can feel when just one 5 kg weight falls off - not fun at 150 + mph. It's the same with cars; wheels and tires are not exactly the same and that's why they need to be balanced.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts