Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm the proud new owner of a slightly used (2007) Atomic Blue Element. We took our Swissy and "coated" German Shepherd to a trial this weekend and I was thrilled with our set up. I was able to put my 42 inch double-door crate on wheels and fit it horizontally in the back half of the cargo space, leaving plenty of room for my Greater Swiss Mountain Dog behind the front seats. Our luggage and soft crate fit on top of the wire crate. Driver, passenger and Swissy were quite comfortable and free from distractions by our high-energy adolescent GSD who was happily confined in his own space. I used a net across the back of the front seats to keep the Swissy from climbing in our laps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm the proud new owner of a slightly used (2007) Atomic Blue Element. We took our Swissy and "coated" German Shepherd to a trial this weekend and I was thrilled with our set up. I was able to put my 42 inch double-door crate on wheels and fit it horizontally in the back half of the cargo space, leaving plenty of room for my Greater Swiss Mountain Dog behind the front seats. Our luggage and soft crate fit on top of the wire crate. Driver, passenger and Swissy were quite comfortable and free from distractions by our high-energy adolescent GSD who was happily confined in his own space. I used a net across the back of the front seats to keep the Swissy from climbing in our laps.
Congratulations on your new E! Looks like you got the logistics of all your equipment figured out pretty well. Beautiful dogs too!

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's just ..... Backwards. LOL. I thought Swiss Mtn Dogs were supposed to have big fluffy coats (like a St Bernard), and GSD have a little sleeker coat. Your GSD looks like he/she's got a lion's mane!! :)

Or am I thinking of Bernese Mtn Dog??

Either way, GORGEOUS dogs, I wish I could get my Sita to concentrate long enough to teach her agility. It took 2 days to convince her to run through the tunnel, and she still won't do it unless I'm at the other end looking through it calling to her. Even so, half the time she runs around it. Too bad, cause it would be the perfect way to burn off her psycho energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's just ..... Backwards. LOL. I thought Swiss Mtn Dogs were supposed to have big fluffy coats (like a St Bernard), and GSD have a little sleeker coat. Your GSD looks like he/she's got a lion's mane!! :)

Or am I thinking of Bernese Mtn Dog??
Yep, you are confusing a Greater Swiss with a Bernese Mountain Dog. They are closely related but different breeds. The obvious difference is the coat which is short in the Greater Swiss but they are both large tri-colored draft breeds so are often confused (see www.gsmdca.org for more information on the Swissy).

The long coat is recessive in German Shepherds, so more rare than the medium length coat. AKC considers the long coat a fault, but it is perfectly acceptable in the German and UKC standard. Go figure. I love the look of the long coat, but it sure requires alot of combing to keep tidy.

Agility is a great sport whether you compete or just do it for fun. My Swissy, Keygan, has been competing for 4 years and Shep just started. Both boys really enjoy it and it does help burn off excess energy.

Oh, I meant to mention on the original post that to load the 42 inch crate it has to be collapsed. It takes a few tries to figure out how to fold, load, then unfold, but once you get it figured out it is not difficult. The wheels raise the crate just enough to clear the wheel bumps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh, I meant to mention on the original post that to load the 42 inch crate it has to be collapsed. It takes a few tries to figure out how to fold, load, then unfold, but once you get it figured out it is not difficult. The wheels raise the crate just enough to clear the wheel bumps.
Will it not load in through the side doors, and then slide back?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Great set up. Welcome to the club! We will need more pictures of your pups in action:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Will it not load in through the side doors, and then slide back?
Yes, that was the first method I tried. If you lay the passenger seat flat and turn the crate on its side, you can take the 42 inch crate through the side door then move it to the back, but it takes two people (one outside and one inside) to lift it over the seat. The crate is 28 inches wide and 31 inches tall, i.e. not the narrow SUV type crate, so it was about an inch too wide to go in with the front seat all the way forward.

One person can load the collapsed crate through the back. Since I was using the wire crate at the trial and at the motel, I loaded and unloaded it by myself three or four times and it wasn't much trouble. If you are familiar with the suitcase wire crates, you'll understand the following steps: to collapse fold the ends inside, then the side door side in next. That way when the collapsed crate is in the car, you will unfold toward the driver's seat then pull the crate up into position. You then open the crate door and bring each end up into position.

Here's a photo of Keygan doing the weave poles.

I did a lot of lurking on this site before getting my E and wasn't sure about the 42 inch crate installed horizontally. It all came together nicely so I'm hoping someone else can benefit from the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts