Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the dealer for service last week, and saw an 09 LX on the lot with some add-ons.

On the extra window sticker it listed:

Spoiler $995
Window Guards
Bug Shield $695
Side Steps $695

Dealer Added Options $2385.00 (!)

I suppose the price for the Side Steps is not too bad, considering installation and all, but $695 for a Bug Shield? WOW!
$995 for the spoiler is a hell of a deal too (I guess they included the 'window guards' in that price) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Was at the dealer for service last week, and saw an 09 LX on the lot with some add-ons.

On the extra window sticker it listed:

Spoiler $995
Window Guards
Bug Shield $695
Side Steps $695

Dealer Added Options $2385.00 (!)

I suppose the price for the Side Steps is not too bad, considering installation and all, but $695 for a Bug Shield? WOW!
$995 for the spoiler is a hell of a deal too (I guess they included the 'window guards' in that price) :rolleyes:
yes they are awful "proud" of their stuff, thank god for h and a :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I was waiting for my E, I wandered the showroom. A particularly ambitious salesman (he knew I just purchased a car there 4 mos ago) decided to chat me up about an Accord I was looking at. EX, V6, pearlescent paint, leather. Loaded. After looking at, sitting in, and looking under the hood of the car, I asked him about the add-on options sticker which said 'Power Pack $995.00'. "What exactly is that?", I queried.

First thing he said was that it was a 'factory' add-on, and then he told me it was these "really nice floor mats". Oh and a rubber trunk liner mat..."To keep the sand and mud out of your trunk." Popped the trunk to show it off.

I was dumbfounded. I asked him what else went with the Power Pack, and he said he was pretty sure that was it....

Now, does a top-of-the-line Accord NOT come with it's own floor mats? I have to pay an extra grand for them? REALLY?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The mark-up on new cars is really not that much. Most dealers barely break even on new-car sales. They they pay the bills with service and used-car sales. Add-ons are a way to take that "break-even" into profit territory. A lot of dealers go with the "paint-protectant" treatment and "upholstery stain-guard" treatment - $150 cost, $1850 profit. Mark-up on most add-ons like side-steps, spoilers, etc is 50% plus. Just the biz. Savy buyers can use the knowledge of how dealers pad the bill to keep their final price down. At the dealership where I bought mine, they said the paint and upholstery treatment was "standard" and done as soon as the car was received on the lot - and they couldn't not do it. Told they I knew what their "cost" was on those treatments, and that on the vehicle or not, I wasn't paying for them. They didn't even argue, just subtracted the $2 Grand on the spot.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The mark-up on new cars is really not that much. Most dealers barely break even on new-car sales. They they pay the bills with service and used-car sales. Add-ons are a way to take that "break-even" into profit territory. A lot of dealers go with the "paint-protectant" treatment and "upholstery stain-guard" treatment - $150 cost, $1850 profit. Mark-up on most add-ons like side-steps, spoilers, etc is 50% plus. Just the biz. Savy buyers can use the knowledge of how dealers pad the bill to keep their final price down. At the dealership where I bought mine, they said the paint and upholstery treatment was "standard" and done as soon as the car was received on the lot - and they couldn't not do it. Told they I knew what their "cost" was on those treatments, and that on the vehicle or not, I wasn't paying for them. They didn't even argue, just subtracted the $2 Grand on the spot.
I love to watch the salesman's nose grow when he lies about all the "add on" stuff and how it "cannot" be undone. That is when I walk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that they may not make much profit on the sale in some cases and that the add-ons are priced accordingly. My point is that when you spend that kind of money on their (top of the line) sedan, it damn well better come standard with floor mats. So don't try to foist some ridiculously priced option package on me like I'm getting something special for my $995.00.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, and don't forget the giant cups of soda that are apparently made from VERY expensive syrup and carbonated water! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts