Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished my first "customization" of my new '08 Element. I created a removable floor mount for the rear based on the designs from LeadFoot (much thanks!). Total cost and materials included a 6' 2x6 and bolts from Lowes ($15) and two fork mounts (2x$10). I can get one bike inside, wheel off, with only one of the rear seats folded up leaving space for one rear passenger. I was able to get my bike in without removing the wheel, but having to lean the bike over intruded on the rear passengers space, making it uncomfortable to sit there.

Anyway, here's some photos of the (almost) finished project:

Shot of bike / cargo space from driver's seat:

Shot of bike inside from driver's side entry:

Shot from rear with top of tailgate up:

Shot from rear with tailgate down:

Closeup of Mount and Fit Against Molding:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cool. I have a nearly identical setup - works great. I have found that I can see better (while driving) if the bike is on the drivers side and the right rear seat is down, not blocking the rear side window so much.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I have a nearly identical setup - works great. I have found that I can see better (while driving) if the bike is on the drivers side and the right rear seat is down, not blocking the rear side window so much.

Have fun!
Good call, RonR! Like I said, it's almost done. I'm adding the second fork mount tonight and as you pointed out, having the bike on that side will allow the seat on the right to be down and reduce the blind spots. I'm sure my bike will stay on the left.

Exactly what I'm planning. What kind of fork mounts did you use? I like the price!
begs_az, I bought XPORT Universal Bike Mounts from Performance Bike. They work great and you are right... That price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's Why We Call The E "Bike Box"

While we carry bikes on a three different receiver mounted hitches (single LWB recumbent, trike or two DF bikes) and on the roof (LB recumbent and tandem) often one or two bikes are carried inside for security or keep out of the weather. Use Saris Traps base and wheel holders and Rocky Mount fork holders, all attached to a 10 pound sheet of aluminum. The Saris Traps rails allow you to quickly reposition holders based on which bike(s) we are carrying and how much other gear we need to fit inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
These are great set-ups! I like the wing-nuts and handles on the forks; and the OP putting notches on the board to keep it in place. I would be ashamed to post my "eyeballed" board I made this week after seeing these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts