Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 EX doesn't have a hitch. I would like to buy a bike rack to put on the back of the car. Is there such a thing that won't wreck the metal on the car? I had a Subaru rack I used and it put dents in the metal which need to get fixed. It's a nice Thule but it wasn't meant for the Element, but it worked. It was stupid of me, I know. Any suggestions on a good back rack?

Thanks,

Briggsie

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I know you didn't ask about this but many of us bought Elements so that we could carry the bikes inside. It's cheap. Just get a couple of bungees or bolt some fork mounts to a 1"X8" board and you're golden.:grin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my Element to haul my harp. When I got a new set of handlebars on my bike last summer, it won't fit inside very well. I don't want to remove the front wheel everytime I want to haul it somewhere. This is the reason for requesting info on bike racks, and you're right. I didn't ask that.....and that's why.

:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumpin'.....and wondering if anyone can suggest something that won't hurt my Ellie Mae. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rack for infrequent use

Recommend you read the Cheap and easy bike rack thread. This type of rack is OK for infrequent use, but you will accept some risks of damage to your E. If you are going to carry a bike often, as I do daily, I recommend you install a receiver. There are many threads on Class type receivers and racks. IMO the tray type racks, although most are more expensive, provide the best ROI. The attached image is of the Thule T2, but Yakima, Saris and Performance offer similar tray racks.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recommend you read the Cheap and easy bike rack thread. This type of rack is OK for infrequent use, but you will accept some risks of damage to your E. If you are going to carry a bike often, as I do daily, I recommend you install a receiver. There are many threads on Class type receivers and racks. IMO the tray type racks, although most are more expensive, provide the best ROI. The attached image is of the Thule T2, but Yakima, Saris and Performance offer similar tray racks.
Tray type rack....hmmm.....never heard of that before. I've heard of hitch mounts though. That's not the same thing, huh? I read the entire thread you recommended. Lots of suggestions for strap-on carriers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay away from those from now on. Guess it's going to be a hitch-mount, but I'll have to get a hitch. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hitch racks

All the racks that attached to a receiver hitch are classed as hitch racks. On most of these you secure your bike from the top tube on one or two bars perpendicular to the main vertical bar of the rack and the wheels hang free. With the tray racks, the bike is secured by the wheels and on most the frame does not touch the rack. If you have a traditional steel bike with a top tube parallel to the ground then the first is a good choice, but it you have a composite frame, recumbent etc the second may be a better choice. Either way the first decision is what Class receiver you'll get installed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the racks that attached to a receiver hitch are classed as hitch racks. On most of these you secure your bike from the top tube on one or two bars perpendicular to the main vertical bar of the rack and the wheels hang free. With the tray racks, the bike is secured by the wheels and on most the frame does not touch the rack. If you have a traditional steel bike with a top tube parallel to the ground then the first is a good choice, but it you have a composite frame, recumbent etc the second may be a better choice. Either way the first decision is what Class receiver you'll get installed.
Thanks, and the first hitch type would work for me. I know I sound like an idiot, but a dealer would be the place to get the hitch put on, right? Or not.....I am not handy, am too busy to become handy.....I will haul my bike around (traditional bike) a lot in the summer and would like to get a really good system.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I know I sound like an idiot, but a dealer would be the place to get the hitch put on, right?
Wrong.

Look in the Yellow Pages for U-Haul. They both sell and install hitches and when they install it they guarantee it. Many of us have U-Haul hitches. If you are going to only be mounting a bike rack you only need the hitch so don't let them sell you a wiring kit for trailer lights.

Good luck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dealer installed receiver

Your Honda dealer is one option, but U-Haul and other shops that specialize in hitches and trailers will likely offer you a number of choices. Many (unfortunately not me ) E-ople install 2" receivers (Class III) because there are many more options for bike racks / trays etc than with the Class I hitch. Your Honda dealer will likely tell you that your E is Class I rated (which is true) and that your warranty is void if you install a Class III hitch (which is not true). The Class III hitch may be overkill but the benefit of being to use all the 2" attachments is worth it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Honda dealer is one option, but U-Haul and other shops that specialize in hitches and trailers will likely offer you a number of choices. Many (unfortunately not me ) E-ople install 2" receivers (Class III) because there are many more options for bike racks / trays etc than with the Class I hitch. Your Honda dealer will likely tell you that your E is Class I rated (which is true) and that your warranty is void if you install a Class III hitch (which is not true). The Class III hitch may be overkill but the benefit of being to use all the 2" attachments is worth it.
Thanks for this info and for yours GaryS. I'll call a UHaul place. Class III it will be. I don't care about the warranty as it just expired a couple of weeks ago anyway. I now have just over 37k on the car.

I really appreciate your help guys....thank you!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But if the OP doesn't get the wiring harness what's the problem?
Exactly!! I'm not going to have anything but the hitch put on.

·
Registered
873 Posts
if you need wireing get the honda wireing !! I got my class III hitch off flebay fer 89.00 +18 ship I think.it was a uhaul unit went on very easy..and harbor freight had a two bike rack fer 29.00 thats pretty nice,if you have a "girls" bike with out the top tube they have (at wally world ( a ajustable bar that you use when it's on the rack (top nut buster bar) the remove when riding.why is it that the guys have the nutbuster bar any way????:shock::twisted: sorry somebody might think I had been adultnaped if I did'n't add something offbeat.:razz: howdy it's cold in Florida still !!!! 30 +deg:shock::twisted::-( kaint do squat)

·
Registered
15 Posts
2" class III hitch off ebay for 100. Thule t2 from my local bike shop for 325.

I'm on a mountain bike at the minimum of 3 days a week so dropping cash on a good easy to use rack setup was a no brainier for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i also want to know this.

this thread has been really helpful f honda for 300 dollar hitches.

going go with uhaul now my question is with the Thule T2 when its in its down position and no bikes are on it will it clear the tailgate?

i like to sit on my talegate or in the back of my element when waiting for people at the park or beach etc

·
Registered
816 Posts
T2 and Tail gate

with the Thule T2 when its in its down position and no bikes are on it will it clear the tailgate?
In the level position (position when bikes are loaded), the tail gate touches the front wheel holder closest to the bumper. There is a third position where the aft end of the rack points to the ground. In this position the tail gate does not touch the T2 (at least on a 2004)

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the level position (position when bikes are loaded), the tail gate touches the front wheel holder closest to the bumper. There is a third position where the aft end of the rack points to the ground. In this position the tail gate does not touch the T2 (at least on a 2004)

oh sick didnt know there was a 3rd position.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts