Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably be moving in a month, and the trip will take about 2 days. My element currently has the OEM rack and crossbars, and I am looking to find a way to transport my two bikes.

Normally my bikes are inside, but I will be moving too much stuff to have enough space for the bikes. The racks I will use will really only be used once.

How well do the OEM bike racks work? I see that HandA has them cheap. I'd hate to buy expensive racks just for one use. I also thought about getting a hitch, but again I probably won't use the hitch rack many times or tow anything.

I've seen some reports of bikes moving too much with the OEM, but for a one time long trip I would hope they would work. The RockyMounts seem to be a bit sturdier, but they are more expensive. If anyone has any opinions on the OEM I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Folsom

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Do you have a hitch? If not, look into getting one installed. If you do, you've got some options (especially with a 2").

You can get a decent hitch mount bike rack and not have to worry about playing bike tetris anymore when you try to move the bikes. I have a Hollywood rack that holds 4 full size bikes without a problem. It's so much easier and nicer to be able to put the bikes on the rack in the back and have all the room inside for people. 4 person bike tours are no problem anymore.

Another cool thing about having a hitch is that you can rent a small uhaul trailer and pull even more stuff behind when you're moving.

Look into a hitch and a hitch mount bike rack. Everything ran me about $350 and it's probably one of the best investments I've made so far. The convenience and no longer having that headache of cramming bikes in is worth every penny of that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The racks will really only be used once.

If you know for sure that you will only use the racks once, IMO consider:

1. Racks desinged for OEM bars (not Thule or Yak bars), from your local Craigslist => http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=rack&catAbbreviation=bik&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

2. If the bikes are worth over $500 each ship them.

3. Else, sell them on Craigslist, or donate them and replace once you move.

I would not recommend buying cheap racks with the rational that they will only be used once. If the bikes are valuable do not put them at risk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you know for sure that you will only use the racks once, IMO consider:

1. Racks desinged for OEM bars (not Thule or Yak bars), from your local Craigslist => http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=rack&catAbbreviation=bik&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

2. If the bikes are worth over $500 each ship them.

3. Else, sell them on Craigslist, or donate them and replace once you move.

I would not recommend buying cheap racks with the rational that they will only be used once. If the bikes are valuable do not put them at risk.
Yeah, I already looked at ebay and craigslist for some racks, didn't see any for sale. The Thule bar mentioned earlier looks the best for only $20 more than OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts