Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about purchasing a hitch mounted rack. Any suggestions.

Only need to carry one or two bikes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bike Racks

thinking about purchasing a hitch mounted rack. Any suggestions.

This is mine. I like it because it does not require upper body strength - tire holders are only inches off the pavement. Easy on - easy off. Bikes don't block rear window view. Top half of window can be opened without removing the bike while camping. Bike clamp post folds flat (which I've found necessary to do when I go thru the car wash).

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks what is the make and model????

This is mine. I like it because it does not require upper body strength - tire holders are only inches off the pavement. Easy on - easy off. Bikes don't block rear window view. Top half of window can be opened without removing the bike while camping. Bike clamp post folds flat (which I've found necessary to do when I go thru the car wash).

·
Registered
463 Posts
ive got a Thule Doubletrack and absolutely love it...i can load 2 bikes in less than 5 minutes and holds them great...ive carried my full suspension mountain bike and my wifes heavy as sin electra townie and the rack carried them like a champ...the only problem with it is that you cant sit on the tailgate even with hooks down...it catches on the rack...but you cant really sit on it anyway with the rack down...but all in all i love it...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sorry for the crappy phone pic but here is my contribution. After much research and deliberation I settled on the Saris T-rax pro. I too only wanted a two bike rack but am now happy to have the extra capacity of the four place. This rack is rock solid and has a very good anti wobble device built in. It's easy to assemble (two bolts), has a built in cable lock and does not require a special receiver pin though it includes a heavy duty locking one. You can mount almost any type of bike frame including full suspension and step through. The arms fold down when you aren't using it and it pivots out of the way to open the rear hatch and tailgate too.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you don't mind spending $300+ the most diverse for the E is probably the Thule T2. It holds bikes of all sorts of configurations by the wheels alone including my cruisers, my kids 20" wheeled mtb, odd shaped mtb's & road bikes, etc. Also it tips so you can get access to the hatch without removing bikes. It's heavy, it's expensive, but for what I have invested in bikes, it never touches paint on bikes or vehicle, they can't scratch each other and you don't lose vehicle access. If you're looking on craigslist, etc. a Sportswork is essentially an older version of the same rack. Thule bought Sportswork a few years ago.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had this old Rhode Gear for over 10 years. Since it's the hanging type it worked out good because I can still use my hitched storage unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts

When I'm carrying a single bike its on the Raxter Rack Stinger and the Thule T2 for two bikes. You can get extensions for the Raxter Rack to carry long bikes (recumbents and tandems). When its two long bikes, they go on Rocky Mounts Tandem R4s on the roof, outboard of the kayaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts