Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone up for another bike ride? I met someone at work who says he goes to the Royal Summit trail. He mentioned joining him, but everytime I ask he doesn't know when he's going. He says he goes weekdays because weekends are crowded. I'm planning on checking out the trail one day, I'll let you know how it is.
I believe we had some "hardcore" mtb bike riders out there, does anyone have a suggestion for beginners.:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is anyone up for another bike ride? I met someone at work who says he goes to the Royal Summit trail. He mentioned joining him, but everytime I ask he doesn't know when he's going. He says he goes weekdays because weekends are crowded. I'm planning on checking out the trail one day, I'll let you know how it is.
I believe we had some "hardcore" mtb bike riders out there, does anyone have a suggestion for beginners.:)
I'm ready for another ride, but only on street/path... no can do trail on my old GT...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ka`ena Point

I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but if you're looking for a relatively easy introduction to offroading, try Ka`ena Point.

You can park at Mokuleia Beach Park and ride in along the pavement until you get to the end of the road. From there, it's approximately another couple of miles until you get to the Natural Area Reserve. From there, you can either ride back or continue on to Keawa`ula Beach (Yokohama Bay) on the Wai`anae side.

The ride itself is pretty easy; just a few low hills and dips, but it's very bumpy. But don't let that deter you. If you wanted to, you could ride a beach cruiser out there and people have ridden road bikes successfully (outfitted with a little wider rubber and very carefully, of course) around the point as part of the Oahu Perimeter Ride.

I think I've also mentioned this, but you DO NOT want to ride out there after a heavy rain or when it's otherwise muddy. Trust me on this... If you want to go, do it before the rainy season sets in.

Another place to try is Alan Davis, out near Sandy Beach. A little more challenging choice would be Mililani/Waiawa, but I think it would be a bust in light of the recent spate of brushfires out there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds interesting, anyone up for this?
I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but if you're looking for a relatively easy introduction to offroading, try Ka`ena Point.

You can park at Mokuleia Beach Park and ride in along the pavement until you get to the end of the road. From there, it's approximately another couple of miles until you get to the Natural Area Reserve. From there, you can either ride back or continue on to Keawa`ula Beach (Yokohama Bay) on the Wai`anae side.

The ride itself is pretty easy; just a few low hills and dips, but it's very bumpy. But don't let that deter you. If you wanted to, you could ride a beach cruiser out there and people have ridden road bikes successfully (outfitted with a little wider rubber and very carefully, of course) around the point as part of the Oahu Perimeter Ride.

I think I've also mentioned this, but you DO NOT want to ride out there after a heavy rain or when it's otherwise muddy. Trust me on this... If you want to go, do it before the rainy season sets in.

Another place to try is Alan Davis, out near Sandy Beach. A little more challenging choice would be Mililani/Waiawa, but I think it would be a bust in light of the recent spate of brushfires out there.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hmmmm if we are gonna do another bike ride we should call Aching.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ka`ena Point Onroad/Offroad

Sounds interesting, anyone up for this?
Okay, if anyone is interested in this, I'll be more than happy to lead the ride. As of now, my schedule is clear next Saturday, 10/03. Let me know if that's workable.

If this does pan out, there is one thing that I will have to insist on, however. Please wear a helmet. Don't care if you strap a salad bowl or a bucket to your head - it's really for your own personal safety.

And don't worry too much about what you're riding. As long as your bike loosely fits the definition of a "mountain bike" and is mechanically sound, you should be fine.

Again, let me know if next weekend works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Okay, if anyone is interested in this, I'll be more than happy to lead the ride. As of now, my schedule is clear next Saturday, 10/03. Let me know if that's workable.

If this does pan out, there is one thing that I will have to insist on, however. Please wear a helmet. Don't care if you strap a salad bowl or a bucket to your head - it's really for your own personal safety.

And don't worry too much about what you're riding. As long as your bike loosely fits the definition of a "mountain bike" and is mechanically sound, you should be fine.

Again, let me know if next weekend works.
Shoot.. my sis is visiting from Seattle so no go for me... :-(

·
Registered
890 Posts
Saturday October 3rd Ride Off The Burner

Thanks for the reply Metal, but it doesn't seem as though anyone else is interested in this anyway. No worries. I've been called upon today to take on another project for next weekend, so I'll commit my time to that instead.

If anyone has an interest in doing some easy MTB'ing at another time, just let me know when and we'll see if the weather and my schedule will cooperate. Otherwise, anyone can ride Ka`ena Point on their own. It's not very difficult and there is only one way in and one way out... Can't get lost.

Just thought if there would be interest, I'd offer to lead. :neutral:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry!:-( I was waiting for Elemento to check with Aching. I guess everyone is busy, so maybe we can schedule it another time. I'll try to check out Royal Sunset either this week or next. If I do, I'll let everyone know how it is.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Me, My Steelman, And The Point

The weather held up and I took a spin out to Ka`ena Point for a quick ride since I hadn't been out there in years. This prevailing weather pattern made conditions very hot and humid - the Point was true to form - bone-dry and dusty. Because of the long weekend with Discoverer's Day coming up, there were a lot of folks fishing out there.

For those of you still interested in doing this, the offer still stands. In the meantime, here are a few pic's to give you a preview of what you can expect.

Where the pavement ends, the bumps begin.

A view down the coast, toward the point.

The washout on the Wai`anae side has gotten a lot worse since I've been out there last...

A view out toward the westernmost point of O`ahu.

A view back toward the mountains. To the left is the North Shore, to the right, the Westside.

Wave crashing over the tidepools.

It was so friggin' hot, that the glue holding the velcro to my shoe straps melted...

Back to the car and a cool shower...

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Wow, nice. That's one thing I never got to do when I was out there.
And kudos on taking a road bike out there. I would have brought my hardrock, not my Alez,
Nice pics.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hey K-DOGG nice pics (as always) when were you planning to go again? I know AYF and METAL are up for some riding. Aching is busy with the business but he said he might still be able to go. Let me know when you might be free again. AYF was talking about Royal SUmmit...any take on that?....COol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have some videos on the Royal Summit trail on 'you tube'. Dont know if I'm ready for this. I definitely have to change my tires to more aggressive ones, better in loose dirt. I'll try and get more info from the guy at work, see if there's more than one trail. I dont think I want to pedal or walk back up.
Let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the videos were made by one of the boys that work here at bikewerx. his friend in the video is a 13 year old kid. we have a bunch of guys who buy all their stuff from us who ride that trail. we make sure that their bikes are all equipped to handle whatever they encounter up there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
They have some videos on the Royal Summit trail on 'you tube'. Dont know if I'm ready for this. I definitely have to change my tires to more aggressive ones, better in loose dirt. I'll try and get more info from the guy at work, see if there's more than one trail. I dont think I want to pedal or walk back up. Let you know what I find out.
I'm from the old school of mountain biking. The cardinal rule: you have no business bombing down if you can't pedal up! There's a reason why the neighborhood is called "Royal Summit". Looks like a cool place to ride.

But anyway... I'm telling you guys. If you want an easy introduction to offroading, there are a number of places to go, but Ka`ena Point is probably the most accessible and it's not very intimidating at all.

If you guys want to go, let me know - the offer still stands.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kaena Point sounds good. I talked to someone who rides up RS, he said there are 3 trails and one's not that hard. He suggested going up the "fire" road and riding back down, its the easiest. The other trails go up and down, so will have to look at it first. I ordered a bike rack just in case the bike gets dirty, dont have to put it in the trunk. Not sure if it'll fit, forgot about the spoiler. If it works, I'll check Royal Summit out. If you want to set up a Kaena Pt. ride, if I'm available, I'm in.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Okay I guess we can discuss this once the 17th is buttoned up.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts