Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Replaced my lower ball joints and sway bar links, passenger front brake caliper and plays, and same side ABS sensor, only to have an electrical issue pop up. The first thing that happened was all of my dash lights went out - the usual: gauges, radio, etc. After a couple of nighttime outings, they all came back on. So maybe a funky fuse. But then I.also got a Check Fuel Cap message on my odometer. Checked, cap is fine, but I assumed the light would go off. Manual says it may take three days. THEN when I hit the key to unlock the car, it beeped several times (fast). Checked the lights and they're on, but flickering.

What is going on? I did check the battery and the cells were low so I filled those, but the problems persist. Any ideas? I do hate trying to diagnose electrical problems. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, but also some additional info: Cold battery is 12.6 (low) and running is 14.39 (low). If I rev the engine, it should increase, yes? But it doesn't. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Battery reading at 12.6 is good, and running at 14.39 is good as well in my eyes. What year is your E? Maybe the ELD is/has gone bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2005. Another symptom - when I unlock the door with the remote, it keeps several times in quick succession. And if I remove the key from the ignition but forget to turn off the lights, same. The beeping is about four times as fast as the usual warning beep. Could it be a relay? (I just checked all the fuses and ground connections on either side of the dash - nothing loose, fuses are good).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just did some reading on others' issues with the ELD and am beginning to wonder if the ABS light that my mechanic saw (and that prompted him to replace the senor) wasn't because the sensor was fubarred, but because of this underlying electrical issue. Ordered a replacement ELD and we'll see. Thanks, Mcdirtymetal, for the suggestion - it's certainly a relatively inexpensive fix if it is indeed the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump again.Good news is the ELD was super easy to replace; the bad news is that it didn't fix the problem. Still getting multiple beeps when I use the remote to unlock the door and the gauge lights are all flickering when I have the headlamps on. Anybody have any other thoughts? Anybody want to buy a 2005 Element EX with 184K miles? It's got brand new front ball joints and sway bar links!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump - SOLVED. Long story short, but in reviewing the service manual came upon the section on the self-diagnostic function for the gauges. The "five beeps" for the beeper circuit seemed a tad familiar. Tried to run the self-diagnosis per the manual to no avail; so switched up the order - instead of turning the headlamps on/off first, I pressed the reset button three times - voila! Gauge lights came back on, no flickering, everything seems fine. I haven't the foggiest idea how the car got into self-diagnosis mode (and why it wouldn't come out on its own), but - for the moment - all is well. I welcome any thoughts anyone might have as to this sorcerer's apprentice function in my E.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bet when the abs sensor was replaced that the mechanic cleared codes and the scanner put it into diagnose mode on accident.
have had similar issues using a snap on Solus When clearing codes on Chrysler products

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bump - SOLVED. Long story short, but in reviewing the service manual came upon the section on the self-diagnostic function for the gauges. The "five beeps" for the beeper circuit seemed a tad familiar. Tried to run the self-diagnosis per the manual to no avail; so switched up the order - instead of turning the headlamps on/off first, I pressed the reset button three times - voila! Gauge lights came back on, no flickering, everything seems fine. I haven't the foggiest idea how the car got into self-diagnosis mode (and why it wouldn't come out on its own), but - for the moment - all is well. I welcome any thoughts anyone might have as to this sorcerer's apprentice function in my E.....
Well, you helped me with this. I just had some oil leaks fixed (PCV (?) filter plugged causing everything else to start leaking) and discovered the dash lights wouldn't come on, and the radio light was acting weird. Anyway, after reading this last evening, I tried this, pushed the reset three times, tried the lights. No dash lights. This morning, i was thinking, after the reset, maybe I needed to turn the engine off again, and then try it. Well, I just tried the lights and everything is working perfectly. So thank you for the info!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, you helped me with this. I just had some oil leaks fixed (PCV (?) filter plugged causing everything else to start leaking) and discovered the dash lights wouldn't come on, and the radio light was acting weird. Anyway, after reading this last evening, I tried this, pushed the reset three times, tried the lights. No dash lights. This morning, i was thinking, after the reset, maybe I needed to turn the engine off again, and then try it. Well, I just tried the lights and everything is working perfectly. So thank you for the info!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump again! Not quite solved! So, I thought I'd figured this out, but the behavior is more intermittent than I'd realized. Ian1006, I'm just seeing your comment now, so will call my mechanic tomorrow and see if that is the issue. The challenge is that sometimes the lights work fine - no flickering, all the gauges are illuminated, etc. Then, I might be driving for 10-15 minutes, and the flickering starts, I lose the gauge lights, and the sadness continues. And sometimes I don't have any flickering, but I also don't have my gauge lights. The flickering, however, is definitely consistent with getting five beeps when I open the car door.

I pulled the #9 under-hood fuse this afternoon and that appears to be the circuit that's affected (had the lights on and flickering, pulled the fuse and all that nonsense stopped). What I don't know is what to do from here to figure out where the problem is. Anybody have any suggestions for what to test next? I've got the service manual and can semi-read a circuit diagram, but electrical issues are not even close to my strong suit. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I bet when the abs sensor was replaced that the mechanic cleared codes and the scanner put it into diagnose mode on accident.
have had similar issues using a snap on Solus When clearing codes on Chrysler products
Just wanted to tell you that I just duplicated the same symptoms on my '08 by using a Zurich ZR-13 OBD2 scanner to reset the ABS system. Shutting everything off TWICE and restarting seems to get rid of the crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts