Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 303 guy, I put that s#*t on just about everything inside and outside of my E! But after this winter she's looking pretty chalky and the 303 just wasn't bringing things back to life. I've also used Mothers Back to Black a lot on exterior panels with some success. I think i will always use 303 inside as I just like it and it has a nice light feel. Been searching for something with better results and I have some hopes for this, Black Again (By Blue Coral / Black Jack Co.) It seems to get some high ratings for performance, but I didn't see any long term opinions. I'm always worried about the long term affects on my E's panels. I tried this on some non-essential places for testing purposes. The first was the mud flaps, and I must say it looked pretty good. The stuff is very thick almost like clear honey. The next was on the rear bumper step trim, an add on piece on top of the back bumper. This thing was really far gone, almost white and dry I was going to peel it off and get rid of it, the Black Again literally made it look like new! (I know it's sounds like all those stupid info-mercials) I wish I had the picture half done so you could see the difference but I got too excited and did the whole piece. This is my test area, waiting for some time, rain and sun to see how it looks before I commit to putting this all over my panels. But I may be a convert from 303. Anyone else try this stuff?
(Hey can you see my new Injen exhaust peeking out there!?)

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Have not tried it myself as I also have been using 303 for awhile now. If you get a chance post up on the results of how it is working for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was actually logging on just to start a post about this product!
I did my first detail on my 2010 that I bought one year ago. I clay barred it, used Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant, 303 on the interior and Black Again on the plastic. WOW! Super impressed with all these products, my car looks better than when I purchased it! Man, that Klasse comes out like glass! But seeing as this is about Black Again, I will stick to it.

This product is GREAT!!! Now my Element is a 2010, so it wasn't looking too terrible, but my running boards were getting grey and streaky. My mirrors and trim around the windshield had also lightened up quite a bit. This stuff made it black and beautiful again! :)

It is a thick clear liquid/gel that you just wipe on and kind of rub in. Couldn't be easier. It is clear, so it should work on any color plastic, not just black.

Although I was thoroughly impressed right after putting it on, I wanted to see how it lasted before I raved about it. Well, it has been three weeks now and it still looks great! It also beads up water as though it was waxed! Don't know how long it will actually last, but even if you have to put it on once a month, it would be well worth it. A little goes a long way and I did my whole car in about 10 minutes.

I also put it on my wiper arms, door handles, etc. and it looks wonderful!
I have not used any other product, so I cant compare, but I can tell you I doubt I will ever try anything else. This stuff is great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This product is GREAT!!! Now my Element is a 2010, so it wasn't looking too terrible, but my running boards were getting grey and streaky. My mirrors and trim around the windshield had also lightened up quite a bit. This stuff made it black and beautiful again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I picked up some of this and so far the results are impressive. It also goes on quickly and easily. I didn't do the whole car yet, just some tests. You can see the severly faded areas next to the restored areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Wax on? Wax off!!

I'm also a 303 guy, having used it after many others on scuba gear and boats that got exposed to worse conditions than most cars. Appearance isnt as important as material integrity, but if you take care of the latter, the former is an automatic benefit.

303 isnt a cleaner. It wont get off something like Back to Black, which is basically a wax like shoe polish, relying on carbon black as a temporary UV sacrificial agent. When the carbon black breaks down, the wax disintegrates. (The same thing that happens to rubber in tires.

393 also wont clean off residue from wax that runs on top of it, or the Hinda cr*p that some dealers smear over the fenders during initial prep. If there's wax or silicone on plastic under 303, 303 wont work.

But if you clean the panels thoroughly with a grease cutting dish detergent like Joy or Dawn, and rinse with clean water, until the dry panels show no sign of white residue when they are dry (this may require using a soft nylon brush, and repeated attempts) you may find that you don't need to put anything on the panels. THEN 303 will work, and will preserve that appearance and condition.

The only time that I haven't been able to do this is on the titanium dash garnish above the unstrument cluster of my new / used 2008. The previous owner either let the car bake in the sun fir 7 years,or cleaned the surface with something that was caustic. When I tried to clean it using soap, water and a sponge, the surface which was a smooth, shiny, textured molded plastic whrn new, started coming off, leaving patches on the surface. This is exactly the kind of deterioration 303 was developed to prevent.

All I ever put on my 2004s exterior plastic was 303 once or twice a year after washing it. The plastic looked IDENTICAL to the stored roof garnish pieces I removed when mounting my custom rack, 11 years previous. With the same treatment, the sidewalls of my tires also looked like new after 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Black Again is not a shoe polish type restorer. It's great that you've been able to 303 your panels since your car was new. In my case, I bought this 11 year old Element last year. The prior owner seemed to care about service (every service done at the dealership on schedule) but they didn't give a damn about cosmetics.

My panels are heavily oxidized and no amount of scrubbing and cleaning with Dawn or wax removers will bring the the fade back.

So far, I give Black Again a thumbs up. I'll report back in a week, month, and three months to see how it's holding up.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Covering the surface with polydimethylsiloxane doesn't change the nature of the material under it. If the plastic is actually oxidized (bleached) this can't change the color, though it might remove the surface contamination you couldn't wash off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Covering the surface with polydimethylsiloxane doesn't change the nature of the material under it. If the plastic is actually oxidized (bleached) this can't change the color, though it might remove the surface contamination you couldn't wash off.

303 is also not going to change the nature of the material underneath, correct? From what I'm reading 303 is a UV blocker. It's great if you can get it on your panels before they are oxidized.

The day after the application of Black Again, it does seem like a miracle product. I know it's going to wear off though. And I'm happy to test the longevity and report back to the group.

I was going to try Linseed oil and paint thinner but that just sounded toxic and dangerous (spontaneous combustion of rags). Black Again seemed safer to try for $10. If I only have to put it on twice a year I'd be happy with that since it goes on easy. And reading about it, it sounds like the restorative action is similar to linseed oil. Linseed oil is a natural polymer oil and this is a synthetic polymer in an oil base.

And I did buy some 303 to try but my panels are very oxidized so I don't think 303 is going to help them much.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
303 is also not going to change the nature of the material underneath, correct? From what I'm reading 303 is a UV blocker. It's great if you can get it on your panels before they are oxidized.

The day after the application of Black Again, it does seem like a miracle product. I know it's going to wear off though. And I'm happy to test the longevity and report back to the group.

I was going to try Linseed oil and paint thinner but that just sounded toxic and dangerous (spontaneous combustion of rags). Black Again seemed safer to try for $10. If I only have to put it on twice a year I'd be happy with that since it goes on easy. And reading about it, it sounds like the restorative action is similar to linseed oil. Linseed oil is a natural polymer oil and this is a synthetic polymer in an oil base.

And I did buy some 303 to try but my panels are very oxidized so I don't think 303 is going to help them much.
If you dont dewax/degrease your panels, then 303 will never reach the plastic,so it wont do anything. It has to be in contact with plastic to link to it.

Since you've already made up your mind, there's no need for you to respond. The only reason I did was to provided others with information before they chose to cover up discolored panels instead of addressing the cause- wax buildup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You know I posted in a topic entitled "Black Again". I just wanted to post my experience. It's not about having made up ones mind or anything else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts