Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
My "E" IS a "black box"...

Sorry, that was too easy.

If you mean a computer that controls almost all aspects of the engine, then the answer is yes. If you mean does the computer record you driving habits for download after an accident, then none of the shop manuals mention these "features".

But if you want to add one, you could buy one here:
http://www.davisnet.com/home_static.asp

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I don't think Honda has them... GM does though.

I think there's a bill in congress that's going to require automakers to disclose whether your car has one or not.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Shen's right - I also have not seen Honda on any list of manufacturers (or models) that have quietly added a so-called "black box".

GM, yes, on pretty much everything. Ford, on full-size models (Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, and Lincolns), plus I think the new Aerostar. BMW, on everything.

Others slip my memory at the moment. BMW's use of black-box information is particularly pernicious, as they have been refusing warranty coverage based on alleged "abuse" reported by the event data recorder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Speaking of black boxes,

Does your E automatic transmission seem to be adaptive in a sense.

Does it shift differently if you drive aggressively for a while as opposed to easy mpg conscious driving.

I feel that the shift patterns seem to be different after each type of drive, perhaps its all in my head!

·
Registered
351 Posts
[quote:328b51f579="joenuclear"]Add one? If it has one I'd like to disable it.[/quote:328b51f579]

The one I linked to is one I've had for a while. It gives a nice report on the cars health. It also tracks my MPG fairly well. And it pops right out if you want.

If I had kids that drove, all my cars would have one, and I'd let them know it. As one of our Presidents said "Trust, but verify."

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>one I've had for a while

Be careful. The saying that comes to mind is "hoisted by one's own pitard". Self-collected data can be used in discovery should you ever be in a situation of legal dispute regarding your vehicle. This is the core of the "black box" debate - who does the data belong to, and what are the allowable uses?

I write AVL (automatic vehicle location) software, and the legal ramifications of data collection is a very frequent source of furrowed brows.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I thought I'd resurect this old thread. Has anyone heard anything about Honda using data recorders in the 04 or 05? It's something I'd like to know about if it's there, but I haven't seen any info that it is.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've noticed that the shifting is different every time I drive. Seems the black box is definitely screwing up...wait a minute, I have a manual tranny; never mind.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Nope.
Still no "black boxes" on any Honda.

Though one point of interest...
I saw a news story a few months back citing a court case where the judge deemed the information contained on an event data recorder (black box) admissable.
His reasoning was since the vehicle is being driven on a public road, there is no assumed privacy in regards to the information on the recorder.
The information being speed, throttle position, whether the brakes were being applied, etc.
Most of these things could be deduced or at least approximated by a witness on the scene.

On a side note for those of you with second cars containing EDRs, there is no way to disconnect it that I am aware of.
They are linked directly to the computer management system.
Removal of the EDR renders the car undriveable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts