Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago you could buy some kind of a kit to turn all your chrome to gold (mostly on Cadillacs from my experience). Does anyone know of something similar to do black chrome. I bought a license plate frame last weekend that's black chrome and it looks really good with my PMM. I've seen the post where everyone painted their emblems flat black and while it looks good, I'd rather do black chrome if I can.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There is 3 ways black chrome is done:

1: most expensive is a real chrome base with a tinted coating that is baked, life span is 2 to 5 years depending on climate.

2: 2nd expensive is a full powdercoat using a heavy metallic silver base with a transparent black top coating, each coat must be baked seperately but the silver must not more than 80% cured but not less than 75%, its a bizznich. Looks good, usually has a slight blue tint to it. Life span is usually 5 to 8 years if done correctly, if not, it will start peeling within months and look very dull.

3: cheapest is a paint system that is a chrome base paint with a transparent tint top. It is very easy to apply and accomplish but life span on exterior parts is very low, usually under a year.

American Eagle, Boss, MSR has discontinued all there black chrome wheels due to peeling. Black chrome is very hard to take care of and due to the multiple layers, the weather and elements in you area can either make it last or ruin quick(example-high humitity).

Later
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
The Cadillac kit was an extremely thin coat of 24K gold that didn't last very long before it looked like old brass. If you're going to do the black chrome, then have it properly done at a chrome shop.

Chief

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys, I was hoping for a happy ending though:-(

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
thanks for the info. i had wondered why i hadn't seen much black chrome lately. didn't realize it had such a short lifespan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts