Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read all over the site, seen people putting "herculiner" or "duraliner" on their panels. Ive recently come upon 2 gallons of Dupli-color and was wondering if anyone has tried this on their panels? (or worked with it on their Truck beds?) any pics you could share?

The containers didn't come with any instructions but from the site Ive found they recommend 80 grit paper to rough up the parts and clean them, so basically the same as what Ive read everyone else needing to do.

I am more concerned about the quality, and how well it'll hold up in the Florida Sun. Was planning on rolling it on using a textured roller, any suggestions? thoughts? concerns?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The roller will leave visible lines in the finish. It will also have a chunky component to the surface. If you can live with that then get your paint tray ready.

You can use the recommended thinner and screen out some of the bigger chunks of aggreate. A slightly thinner consistency will also facilitate the application of the product. I have seen the body shop thin it before they spray it on. They simply use an extra cote to produce the desired thickness.

I suggest you do a test application on a plastic bag stretched over some plywood. It will give you a look at what it's going to look like when your done.

Caution : Keep your Hootis clear! :lol:

Dom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but what im also curious about is if its textured or smooth, because on the site they show themselves using a sprayer and it looks pretty smooth (not chunky) to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so as a test i took an old garbage can lid with similar texture as the panels, rubbed some 80 grit paper around on it and rolled on some of the dupli-color to see how it would look.. Honestly i like the texture and the overall output.. here's some pics ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
NICE! i think that even looks better than the hurculiner! the hurculiner is a bit rough in texture for me, that seems a great bit smoother. How durable is that? think it will hold up over the years?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I can attest to the durability of this stuff. I have used it several times, for applications, other than the intended purpose. For instance, we did the floor of a fishing boat. With salt water being sprayed on it for 8 hours a day every day. Lobster traps being dragged across the deck hundreds of times over a years time. Men walking back and forth on it all year. It still Looks good!

I have also done the floor in my ATV with it to prevent rust, after the paint wore off. We have done a truck bed with it also. However we did that prior to my buddy selling the truck, to hide the rust. So I don't know how well it stood up.

I have also used it on my Wifes side steps on her Element. From 05 to now they still look new. That's after the winter salt and sand beat on them for several winters.

It's GOOD stuff.

Dom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooh thats good to know about the durability! I'm going to try this on my E tomorrow on the lower portions of the panels under the doors..

I'm using one of the small 4 inch foam rollers found at homedepot for 5$ Not too sure how many coats its going to need, the trash can lid i put pics up of I only did one coat... But I definitely like the texture it left...

about the fading... Everyone said that the "forever black" stuff would fade after a month but mines been on 4 months and still looks pretty good... I just use "Back to Black" on my panels after i wash/wax and it holds up fantastic.. So Im hoping I can use that on the Dupli-color as well

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i did the bottom panels to see how it looks, have one coat on atm and Im liking it, what ya think?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Not bad at all! It looks more consistent, color wise now than it did before.

Is there much of a color difference to the un-treated panels? Sometimes it will not show in a Photo.

Dom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I personally felt i was being critical and it did but now that its been on for longer than a day, If there's a difference I don't notice it getting in and out of the car. So would have to be something you have to sit and stare at to see a difference about.

I dont mind the panels i did to have a texture because of the location but I honestly think the other areas would look better to stay low profiled texture like they already are. So im going to look into some other things

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Keep mixing it!!! The first coat I did on mine i forgot to keep mixing the stuff and the texture settles to the bottom. It'll make for a really uneven coat. Looks good though. The more coats the more durable it is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i mixed it once before i started, wasn't too easy to mix from the little hole at the top but pretty sure i got it, poured some in a small paint tray (like a 4 inch one) and as i was putting it onto the care the stuff in the tray was almost instantly drying....

it was kind of humid and chilly but I figured that was better than burning hott... whats a better time to apply it in your opinion?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After getting too many complaints on people getting their ankles scratched on the duplicolor I put on the lower cladding I decided to jump for it and try the Spray Duplicolor. (Can cost 9.95 after tax at advanced Auto parts)

I got a sanding pad (100 Grit), pulled all the lower panels off, sanded them till they didnt have any rough spots, i didnt make them smooth, just took off the rough areas. Sprayed them, put about 2 coats on, figured the original could count as a coat.

Overall, Very happy with the result. Came out textured with no rough areas and nice n black! (remember its been about 2 weeks since I washed it, planning on doing that tomorrow, so the cladding is covered in a dust bit so the contrast is a bit more dramatic than it will be after i clean the car)

Lower panel is after prep work before painting. Top 2 are ready to be put back on:

White parts are because my hands were dirty when i put them back on, but it wipes right off.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like it. I've used the Duplicolor spray for alot of stuff and had the chance to experiment with texturing. For anyone else interested in doing this, the closer you are with the spray can, the smoother it goes on. If for some reason you choose the rough sandpaper like texture, keep the can like 24 inches away and mist it on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like it. I've used the Duplicolor spray for alot of stuff and had the chance to experiment with texturing. For anyone else interested in doing this, the closer you are with the spray can, the smoother it goes on. If for some reason you choose the rough sandpaper like texture, keep the can like 24 inches away and mist it on.
yeah i was noticing that, but what i found with my test shot is if you go too fast and too close it runs like a big goopy booger. Otherwise i thought it was really easy to do, considering doing my front cladding now...

I cant find anywhere on the can that says it but anyone know if it has a uv coat in it? only thing it mentions is "prevents fading" which i assumed was same thing?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here a pic after washing it, can barely see the difference between the forever black panels and the duplicolor ones, just slight fading in the fb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
i think i may do this over the summer...:grin:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've slowly been doing all the panels, little bit each week, at the moment have almost all the passenger side done! Will get pics up when they're all done!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good stuff... Keep d'em pics comin'...!

LBD

·
Registered
63 Posts
yo shroommastap.... where did you get ur interior dash trim in orange?? i looked at the sc models but the gauge cluster trim isnt the same... did you just paint yours???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts