Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have seen pictures of black tail lights or black covers on them to darken them up, i was wondering if anyone could help me find these as i have looked everywhere!!! thank you

·
Registered
480 Posts
Some people use spray on tint. I haven't actually looked for replacement tinted assemblies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some people use spray on tint. I haven't actually looked for replacement tinted assemblies.
"Nightshade" is the name of the commonly used spray on tint.

do as many light coats as it takes to get as dark as you want, then a few coats of clear to seal it.

I'm thinking of doing this to my side markers and rear bumper reflectors... but leaving the tail/brake lenses stock.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I also noticed some pre-cut film for taillights on eBay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to let you know that the factory installed red tail light lens are tinted much darker on my 2008 SC. They're much darker than the ones on the LX or EX models, which look bright red. You can still see them light up in the day time but they are much darker and legal.Overall I like the tinted look too.

·
Registered
617 Posts
if you want it done the absolute "correct" way, take them to a body shop and have them spray them with clear with tint added. It will hold up just like the paint on the body. Just my opinion, but anything out of a rattle can will not go the distance compared to an actual automotive finish

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Just to let you know that the factory installed red tail light lens are tinted much darker on my 2008 SC. They're much darker than the ones on the LX or EX models, which look bright red. You can still see them light up in the day time but they are much darker and legal.Overall I like the tinted look too.
Your lights are not tinted, they just appear to be that way. The SC's have a black housing inside the taillights versus the chrome housing on the non SC models; so it gives them a darker appearance.

Chief

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
Your lights are not tinted, they just appear to be that way. The SC's have a black housing inside the taillights versus the chrome housing on the non SC models; so it gives them a darker appearance.

Chief
AAHHHH, that explains the difference.... didn't know. Thanks, Chief!! I have the Night Shades and plan to re-tint my rears, just will spend the time to do it right this time... :-:)roll::razz::razz:

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
AAHHHH, that explains the difference.... didn't know. Thanks, Chief!! I have the Night Shades and plan to re-tint my rears, just will spend the time to do it right this time... :-:)roll::razz::razz:

No problem, the only reason I know the difference is that I've done both. I tinted my original Element taillights and now I have the SC taillights. ;-) :-D

Chief

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is relevent to my interests.

I would assume buying the spray would be the inexpensive route, but I want something that lasts and looks good, like it came from the factory.

Does anyone know if it would be better (and by better I mean cost + ease + longevity) to have a body shop spray on a clear coat with tint or perhaps try and find the newer SC tail-lights and install them yourself.

And will the newer SC tail lights even fit on an older E?

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Other than the internal housing, the taillights are all identical from 2003 to 2008. If you happen to run across a set of SC taillights in the junk yard like I did, then fine. But tinting also works fine and if you do it carefully one coat at a time. Use a 2400 grit sandpaper between coats they will turn out beautifully, and cheaper than buying a new set of taillights.

Chief

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chief, Thanks for the explanation as to why my SC tail lights are so much darker. You learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are the 09/10 SC tail lights darker than the LX/EX ones too?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Oooooooo...

GOOD question... Posting so I can add this to my subscriptions...! Not too sure if a lot of '09 owners have done this yet... I'm looking to do this... I'll try and find a Chilton's one of these days to see the difference...

LBD

·
12,180 Posts
I have yet to see both 2010 EX and SC side by side to see the difference...But if the photos from the Honda site are a true indication than i would say yes the SC taillights are darker.

FYI: You don't have to post to a thread to subscribe to it. At the top click on thread tools and then Subscribe to thread will add it to your list.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
FYI: You don't have to post to a thread to subscribe to it. At the top click on thread tools and then Subscribe to thread will add it to your list.
Thanks Lizzurd... ;-) I know... ;-) Trying to add to my "post totals"... LOL!!! :razz: This way, folks will know my interest as well... There are quite a lot of lurkers so I figure I'll speak up on their behalf... LOL!!! :razz:

LBD

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's so funny that this i came across this thread today....i just tinted my til lights a few days ago....I've done it on all my cars, but not as drastic as I did on my E.....I wanted the lights black as black can be...lol Night Shades is the best and most cost effective way to go. The can is about 10 bucks....Can of clear coat is about 7 bucks. I used 2000 grit sand paper (very very lightly) to scuff the surface up. Then wiped everything down with a damp LINT FREE towel. Then wiped the lights off with rubbing alcohol to remove an finger prints, grease, or oils.... Lightly sparyed 4 seperate coats allowing 20 min of drying time between coats. Then used one coat of automotive grade clear coat. ****you have to be very light and even on your clear coat application**** Let every thing dry overnight in an area that has no dust in the air and reinstall the next morning! :) Here's what mine turned out like: (sorry about the crappy pics---->taken with camera phone :|)
LIGHTS OFF

LIGHTS ON

1 - 20 of 25 Posts