Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smoking the taillights was an extremely easy process. 1. Remove the taillights which is only two screws on each light. 2. Wipe down lights with alcohol wipes and thoroughly clean. 3. Buy NightShades spray tint. 4. Apply one to two coats. No more than three or you will get pulled over. 5. Let dry. 6. Reinstall lights and be on your way. The whole process including the drying took about 4 hours but that's a little long, I just wanted to be on the safe side and make sure the paint had cured. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Clean...! You gonna do the LED 3rd brake light now...? Can we see a pic with the brakes "on"...?

LBD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Night shot

Woops. That photo was just with the lights on, I couldnt pump the brakes because I was by myself. sorry

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No worries buddy...! Just wanted to see it during the daytime to see just how dark it really is... Hey, good time to recruit a hotty to step on yer brake pedal...! ;-) Know what I mean...? ;-)

LOL!!!

LBD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hell yea man i was thinkin of doin that but mine isnt an ex-p so its prolly gonna look bad. Yours is bitchin though fer sure

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did mine and they came out sorta shiny but not alot...I like them that way

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Smoking tail lamp lenses may look nice, but it's a fools mod, since it cuts the visibility of the brake lights. It's also illegal for all on-street vehicles in the US. California is noted for ticketing ($300+, plus restoration of lighting to stock) vehicles with obviously modified lighting.

You can get nearly the same appearance effect without compromising functionality by smoking some of the PERIPHERAL sections of the reflectors to match the SC lights, though some SC owners with stock tail lights have reported being pulled over for suspected illegal mods.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been driving since 1976 here in California and have never had a problem or been pulled over with my taillights smoked or tinted. I've been doing it sonce 1995 on a BMW I owned. I've been pulled over for no front license plate, front license plate emblem plate and front driver's and passenger windows tinted to dark but never tinted taillights. I known LAPD officers for years and they told me if they can see light when you break they won't pull you over, especially if you have the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Smoking tail lamp lenses may look nice, but it's a fools mod, since it cuts the visibility of the brake lights. It's also illegal for all on-street vehicles in the US. California is noted for ticketing ($300+, plus restoration of lighting to stock) vehicles with obviously modified lighting.

You can get nearly the same appearance effect without compromising functionality by smoking some of the PERIPHERAL sections of the reflectors to match the SC lights, though some SC owners with stock tail lights have reported being pulled over for suspected illegal mods.
You can't just "smoke part of the reflectors in the E tail light" our lights are molded together so you can't take them apart like the headlights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts