Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These LED lights are new from Blinglights. (follow the link....discount for EOC members)

The installation is very simple, and they are a nice low cost alternative to the factory lights. They fit in the factory bumper holes and have a unique look.

They come without a wiring harness and switch, and they are designed to be wired in to the factory headlights for power. They seem to have very little draw and don't need a relay.
I used the wiring that was already in my E from my other Blinglights. These don't "light up the road" like my other Blinglights, but they would be perfect for anyone that wants to install them as daytime running lights. It would be very easy to hook them up to a power source that is "on" with the ignition to keep things very simple.

The tools & materials you'll need:
Paint can tool for bumper clips. 8mm and 10mm wrenches for bumper screws. Screw driver for the mounting screws. Wire cutters & crimpers for the connections. 8 screws (#8x3/4 pan head tapping) 2 hex cap screws M6x12 w/ nuts and washers. 2 mounting plates if your bumper holes are already cut, about 5" round. Sharpie. 1/8", 1/4", and a 5/16" drill bit and a drill.

Start by removing the nose/front bumper cover.

Lay out the nose on something soft so it won't get damaged. Now we get started mounting the lights to the bumper.

The lights fit easily in the fog light holes. Mine were already "cut out" for the last install.

I'm fairly certain if they weren't cut out, the LED lights could have been mounted directly to the bumper holes after a small hole was drilled to route the wire. Since I needed something to support the back side, I cut up some aluminum I had around.

You could also use acrylic or plastic or steel. It wouldn't need to be round, and you'll never see 'em behind the bumper so don't be afraid to get creative and try something you've already got lying around.

I drilled four holes (1/8")to match the "pattern" of the "posts" for the fog light holes in the bumper, then another one (5/16") in the "center."

I mounted them to the bumper with #8 x 3/4" stainless steel pan head "tapping" screws.

Then I marked the brackets on the lights with a Sharpie after placing them in position. Drill the hole 1/4".

Fish the wire thru the gap and use a short hex head screw to bolt the light to the backing plate. (I later took it apart and wrapped the wires with black electrical tape to keep them from rubbing, and to hide them from view if you look closely at the light.)

You'll need to loosen the screw on the light to do the assembly. Just make the bolt and the bracket screw snug....not too tight yet.

A 10mm wrench is used to tighten the bolt (hex cap screw) the mounts the LED bracket to the bumper 'plate."

A small screwdriver helps to access the screw on the LED light bracket

You can reach up in the bumper after they're installed to make up-down and rotational adjustments.

You can see how nicely they fit the bumper.

After making the electrical connections (and checking that everything works correctly), put the bumper cover back on.

workin' good on the garage floor.

Just a few clips for now to make sure all is right. I got lucky and mine were aimed pretty close, so I made some small adjustments (a small/short screwdriver helps....or turn a screwdriver power bit with a wrench for the right side) and buttoned everything back up.

Sorry....I was cold. Night pics are coming soon.

Good luck, have fun.

Will

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I like the appearance.

If you hadn't cut out the bumper holes, and wanted to front mount these lamps, do you think you could have done it without removing the facia. If thus mounted, would they be adjustable?

I'm wondering about the claim "Nothing else needed to mount in bumper fog lamp openings". I don't see any way it could be done without taking off the facia, except with double faced tape.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow....nice..

How much did they cost you? In my expereince, dont forget to have a 3m cover. I had mine with 3m but still it has a shot from stones which the gov. is using to put in the roads during winter time... But somehow it hold the fogs for now......

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you hadn't cut out the bumper holes, and wanted to front mount these lamps, do you think you could have done it without removing the facia. If thus mounted, would they be adjustable?
That is a good point...
They could be mounted right to the bumper hole if the centers weren't cut out (double side tape was included) but you'd need a very small offset screwdriver or similar for adjustment...but it still might be too tight to get any tool in there.

The facia is so simple to remove it prolly wouldn't be worth while mounting the lights and fishing the wires thru with it in place.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Gotcha. One of these days I need to get some sort of lights in those spots. I've had the Tooljedi brackets kicking around for years...

·
Registered
251 Posts
They look quite Bling as advertised!....for now anyway....I've found that real metal chrome lights last very little time no matter what "special coatings" they have. The plastic coated however last quite well.
Hopefully the light output at night is decent.
If you just want to fill those ugly empty holes .....You could get a less bling led light at Autozone for $15 a pop and not have to worry about corrosion yet still set your ride apart. Small hole for wiring and some RTV...4 years and still holding great.

Attachments

·
EOC Sponsor
60 Posts
They look quite Bling as advertised!....for now anyway....I've found that real metal chrome lights last very little time no matter what "special coatings" they have. The plastic coated however last quite well.
Hopefully the light output at night is decent.
If you just want to fill those ugly empty holes .....You could get a less bling led light at Autozone for $15 a pop and not have to worry about corrosion yet still set your ride apart. Small hole for wiring and some RTV...4 years and still holding great.
Although they have a nice chrome appearance, the BlingLights LEDs featured in this thread are actually made out of a hard plastic.

And yes, the night light output is much nicer that what you would find in most LED fog lamps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
how they working at night?
equal or better than a driving light??
how is it for oncoming traffic???

looks nice, great job

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got some night pictures. I tried a few times, but they sucked. Tried the camera from work but there were about the same.

Here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They aren't as bright as the regular Bling Lights....but they're LED so that is to be expected. If you want "bright," get the other ones.

I gotta say...these are an easy install and have a great "look." The chrome finish on the plastic seems very durable, and they look nice when turned on or off.

These would be perfect for someone who wants Day Time Running Lights....just hook 'em up to something that is "on" with the ignition (power outlet, radio, horn, etc) and you're good to go.

I had a friend from work drop me off to pick up my work truck the other day...she followed me back in the E. The LED lights were on and were very noticeable in normal daytime lighting. (it wasn't really sunny....or cloudy) They really made the E stand out on the highway. I guess she had a little trouble keeping up 'cause she wasn't used to my car, but even many cars back the LED lights were still noticeable.

:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thumbs Up

Awesome... like that a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts