Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that, in my E, I frequently discover that my turn signals are on. I can't explain why this is happening, as I have never before been the frequent victim of ILS (Idiot Light Syndrome). All I can come up with is a combination of nearly silent operation (lack of noisy clicking relay) and innocuously small indicator lights on the dash.

I am wondering if I am the only one who has caught ILS with their E. I don't know of any non-radical procedure that can be carried out that will put it into remission or irradicate this blight, but I am in homeopathic therapy for it now. It feels like it might be getting better, but progress is frustrating; two steps forward, one back.

peace,
-jdef (hoping that one day there will be a cure for ILS)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Aren't the "E"'s signals self-cancelling?

Iskie

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, Jdef, I too, find that I'm driving down the boo-le-vard and low and beHOLD Mama, my turn signals are going yet from a lane change I made who knows when ago! Seems to me the turns signals need a rather noisy and irritating noise to let you know they are working !

Ger

·
Registered
64 Posts
jdef......it has happened to me too with my E. One of the things I usually do with a new vehicle is find the flasher while it is still working. (once it quits making any noise its very tough to find). Most all cars now have them on a fuse panel. There are noisy ones avail if you want. (jc whitney comes to mind).
I have developed the habit of keeping my hand on the lever until the lane change is complete. (thats an old habit learned when driving heavy trucks that did not have self cancel signals.

shaka!!.... 8)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:9957257553="isketerol"]Aren't the "E"'s signals self-cancelling?

Iskie[/quote:9957257553]

Yup, Iskie, they are. So it is usually lane changes in heavy commute traffic that catch me. This morning on the way in, I turned the radio off for a sec and listened and there is a clicking noise, but not very loud. I think, in my case, it is the small lights that in the instrument pod that are the main issue.

I don't plan on doing anything except behavior modification to correct my ILS. Over the past few days, I have been much more cognizant.

peace,
-jdef

·
Registered
894 Posts
I used to curse the noisy siganls on the Checy ....even turning them off while sitting in the turn lane waiting at the light....now I am borrowing the dealers' Honda Civic - I have to say I wonder if the signals make any noise at all!!

Iskie

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just think you need to check your blinker fluid! When it gets to low… the click, click, click gets real faint. :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes this is the only car I have ever owned where I have left the blinkers on. They are so quiet that I just forget. Don't get me wrong. I don't blame Honda. I just have to learn to be more careful. It is a very pleasant soft sounding "click".

·
Registered
22 Posts
JDEF,
The only thing I have noticed is sometimes I inadvertantly hit the control with my fingers as the controls are close to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay, I checked this out after reading this site and the blinkers are loud enough. I think some of you need to turn your stereo down! Sometimes I just like hearing the sound of the engine so drive without the stereo on. Weird, huh? But I do love my Element.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank God I'm not alone. I thought I was just a little teched in the head or something because I find my blinkers on very frequently. If anyone has a reasonable solution this side of a brain transplant, please share it.

Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.