Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now trying to find a low-mileage engine to swap out because I want to keep the car. Looking at JDM engines. Good move or not? Finding quality 2007-11 that will swap out here is difficult. Am in Minneapolis.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m in Minneapolis too, just dropped a transmission in my element this past weekend. Found it on carpart, also check eBay, used low mileage ones are like 500-600 shipped

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
682 Posts
There is a crashed parts element on Craigslist the guy wants 1,000 for, says good engine and transmission
My curiosity got the best of me! I just had to look it up. But will an '03 engine swap into an '08 without modifications? (I really am not up on the interchangeability.)

Looks like you could get a substantial part of the $1000 asking price back by selling the leftover parts!

Here's another on CL in your area:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 2007-11 work as plug and play for 2008. Those prices are high, can get Japanese motors under 50,000 miles for 5-600 but have to pay shipping. They are compression tested and warrantied, unlike Joe Blow in Fridley.

·
Registered
34 Posts
500-600 bucks, throw it in on a Saturday and your are back in business add an additional 100-200 for misc stuff along the way
Aren’t the engines the same? Just swap manifolds and externals over?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few needs on JDM engines but you get 45-60 thousand miles. Pretty much impossible to get that on open markets

·
Registered
34 Posts
It was done before I got it, it’s a year old and has had 14k miles on it since then. It just sings going down the highway. But it’s not a bad investment if you like the car. The receipt that was for the motor was like 600 or so in labor and the motor was 500
i like the element a lot but I’m over the half doors with putting a kid in and out with the winter coming

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a jdm engine in mine you have to swap even the everything even water pump housing so just so you know what your getting yourself no alternator or power steering pump and tensioner will work

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now trying to find a low-mileage engine to swap out because I want to keep the car. Looking at JDM engines. Good move or not? Finding quality 2007-11 that will swap out here is difficult. Am in Minneapolis.
Any thoughts?
I was in our local honda dealer. I have an '07 Element that has 220K miles on her. She is getting a little tired and the #1 cylinder is losing compression and had a 20% leak down. I asked about fixing it when the time comes. The service advisor says they don't really recommend fixing the engines. They usually do an R&R with a 30,000 to 60,000 miles engine from Japan. According to Honda in Japan if your car reaches 30k to 60k the federal law is they replace the engines. It a strict emissions control the government enforces. Those engines are then sent to the United States to be sold as replacement engines in the older Honda's like ours that we still want to keep. According to the service manager one of those engines would run around $3,500 - $5,000 USD. you might want to consider that option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a jdm engine in mine you have to swap even the everything even water pump housing so just so you know what your getting yourself no alternator or power steering pump and tensioner will work
Can you tell me more about that or point me to a good post that discusses it?

I've read a few times on this board that when you get an JDM engine for the Element you basically buy a long block, as that's all you can use from it. I was surprised that when I took my Element to the local JDM shop last week that they didn't mention anything about the new (used) engine not quite fitting, and having a little better handle on what to expect might be useful.

I was in our local honda dealer. I have an '07 Element that has 220K miles on her. She is getting a little tired and the #1 cylinder is losing compression and had a 20% leak down. I asked about fixing it when the time comes. The service advisor says they don't really recommend fixing the engines. They usually do an R&R with a 30,000 to 60,000 miles engine from Japan. According to Honda in Japan if your car reaches 30k to 60k the federal law is they replace the engines. It a strict emissions control the government enforces. Those engines are then sent to the United States to be sold as replacement engines in the older Honda's like ours that we still want to keep. According to the service manager one of those engines would run around $3,500 - $5,000 USD. you might want to consider that option.
It sounds like that shop is feeding you a line. You can google up a description pretty quickly about what really happens (here's one) -- it seems, if I've got this right, that Japan's inspections (called Shaken, apparently) get more expensive the older your car gets, and the inspections potentially run thousands of dollars.

The take home is that the Shaken system seems to encourage you to get a new car faster than the one in my state in the US, let's say.

The 30k-60k number seems like part of the boilerplate any JDM shop uses, and is probably fiction. You can't tell how many miles an engine's got for sure without the rest of the car, and even then... Probably less than Elements in the US by the time they hit the junkyard, but no way of really knowing.

With all the shared boilerplate on their sites, I couldn't figure out if JDM shops are franchises or something, but it sure seems like it. They're everywhere. And they all spout similar stuff about low-mileage engines from Japan.

But $3500-$5000 for the engine? That seems insanely high. See here, for instance, for a price that's a little closer to normal.

The shop I took mine to -- which was reasonably well reviewed -- is charging me about $700 for the engine (how in the freaking world do you ship an engine from Japan and then, in my case, to the east coast for that?!!) and $750 to install. The local Honda shop was going to get an LKQ engine with about $123k on it and install it for me for $4000.

Ymmv, but I wonder what they're talking about for $3500+.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any thoughts?
Think about an Acura short block.. higher compression and more hp

·
Registered
84 Posts
Now trying to find a low-mileage engine to swap out because I want to keep the car. Looking at JDM engines. Good move or
Only 2007-11 work as plug and play for 2008. Those prices are high, can get Japanese motors under 50,000 miles for 5-600 but have to pay shipping. They are compression tested and warrantied, unlike Joe Blow in Fridley.
I also had a engine go on me at about 150,000. It was partly my fault as I new that I needed to do a valve adjustment however I kept putting it off untill finally the it bent and poof there goes the engine. So i went back and forthe with what to do and finally decided to replace the engine with another one. Luckily , in my area, there was a bunch of used engines for sale and I picked one up with 100,000 miles on it on www.car-parts.com for around $500. I then found a guy who dropped it in for another $550 so I salvaged the car for $1050. I still wonder if I made the correct decision given that I was pouring another $1050 into a 15 year old vehicle.

Since that time the car has run awesome however I now have 190,000 miles and and am experiencing a ton of problems with the peripherals. Example, the the windshield washer pump for the front windshield wash fluid pump has no power to it, the horn has no power going to it, the fog lights no longer work, the check engine light is on due to a failure of the car's catalytic converter, suspension is shot and needs to be replaced and one of the CV Axle needs to be replaced. I just wonder if I made the right decision holding on to this thing,

That said, the engine swap was a fairly painless process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with a remanufactured engine for about $3000 and installed it myself. Everything is new and included except the intake and exhaust manifolds, power steering pump, and alternator. We plan on having ours for a while with our kid starting to drive. Bought the engine through Rock Auto.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is pretty standard fare to put all externals from a usdm motor onto a jdm motor when swapping. Intake manifold, sensors etc. When swapping good idea to reseal the entire thing too. Emissions differences etc. Not that big of deal

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with a remanufactured engine for about $3000 and installed it myself. Everything is new and included except the intake and exhaust manifolds, power steering pump, and alternator. We plan on having ours for a while with our kid starting to drive. Bought the engine through Rock Auto.
How'd you get the core back to Wisconsin? :oops:

·
Registered
189 Posts
We own a 03 element and a 03crv. At 294k miles, we put in a jdm engine in the crv from ”jdm of California” in Ontario, CA. Prices are good and they have a good stock of engines, you’ll have to check regarding their shipping prices. Although the long block is the same, the Japanese engine‘s accessories are somewhat different from the us engines, so you’ll swap a lot of things over, etc...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts