Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 3 year old Element with just under 50k miles, and the front right strut blew out and is leaking oil (slowly) on itself. Any suggestions on replacing it? Anybody in the Southern California area have a spring compressor that I could borrow, and/or the know-how to replace a strut? If the answer is "buy the service manual," please don't say it quite yet ;) . I know that its something I should get, but I just got out of college and have one paycheck to my name, so buying the manual isn't at the top of my priority list right now.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
39 Posts
With a spring compressor, the right hand tools, and someone who knows what they're doing, you could have the strut replaced in your driveway in about an hour.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Front passenger...I have my OEM one off my Element. You can get it from me. The mounting points are just in the engine bay [about 3 bolts] and take the passenger tire off. You can see the front bolt that needs to be removed. Totally doable in your driveway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Abulevan, if you've got a spare one, I'd love to have/purchase it from you. Let me know if that's feasible; I can drive down to Huntington Beach this weekend if so. Asides from the spring compressor, I should have all the tools needed to get the job done, and I just found a cheap spring compressor at Harbor Freight, so I'll try to pick that up after work today.

Ben

·
Registered
751 Posts
Asides from the spring compressor, I should have all the tools needed to get the job done, and I just found a cheap spring compressor at Harbor Freight, so I'll try to pick that up after work today.
Just be careful with the spring compressor. People lose fingers to those things.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Front passenger...I have my OEM one off my Element. You can get it from me. The mounting points are just in the engine bay [about 3 bolts] and take the passenger tire off. You can see the front bolt that needs to be removed. Totally doable in your driveway.

Mod party....replacing struts, HID mod......etc....

·
Registered
30 Posts
The $10 spring compressor from Harbor Freight does work, but it's about the flimsiest one around. Be sure to lubricate the threads on it or it may bind. And don't plan on using this compressor too many times, mine needed to be thrown away after 3 strut jobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts